Myongji University Symbol
|Revised Romanization||Myeongji Daehakgyo|
Myongji University was founded in 1948 and is located in South Korea. It provides higher education in the fields of engineering, sciences and humanities. It has two campuses: one in Namgajwa-dong, Seodaemun-gu in downtown Seoul and the other in Yongin, 35 km south of Seoul. It is made up of 6 colleges, encompassing 34 departments and divisions, a graduate school, and 8 specialized postgraduate programs. Notable former Manchester United FC player Park Ji Sung graduated from Myongji University.
Symbol and mascot
The leafed tree symbolizes the founding spirit of the Myong Ji Educational Foundation to imbue the students with the Christian faith, so that they may become devoted and capable leaders who can contribute to the advancement of our culture and national prosperity and ultimately to the realization of world peace.
The white stallion is a symbol of loyalty, courage, obedience, and purity. It is also a reference to the equestrian origins of the Korean people. The school mascot is, therefore, a representation of the profound hope that Myongjians, like the white stallion, will be steeped in such virtues as loyalty, courage, obedience, and purity, as they gallop into the world for the realization of God's kingdom here on earth.
- Humanities and social sciences
- Arts and physical education
- Natural science
Special graduate school
- Graduate School of Education
- Graduate School of Archival Sciences
- Graduate School of Social Education
- Graduate School of Social Welfare
- Graduate School of Industrial Technology
- Graduate School of Distribution & Logistics
- Graduate School of Business and Economics in Information
- Graduate School of Investment Information
Myongji International Graduate School
The programs are offered in English.
- Engineering design and management (specialization in electronics and communications engineering, mechanical and automobile engineering, environmental engineering, computer engineering and software)
- Intercultural studies
Application are invited for undergraduate and graduate programs twice a year. For fall semester starting in the end of August applications are open from October 1 to November 30. For spring semester starting in the end of February applications are open from April 1 to May 31.
"Korea's baduk education may even continue at the university level. Myongji University in Yongin is currently the only academic institution in the world with a baduk department."
The Department of Baduk Studies was established in 1997, for the first time in world history, to pursue an academic study of baduk. The Department of Baduk Studies has been set up with the following aims:
- To promote students' game strength above the 5 dan level
- To acquire a deeper knowledge of life from Baduk culture
- To develop and educate the leaders in the field of baduk
- To teach necessary foreign languages to those who can introduce baduk culture to the world
The department teaches baduk theory and technique systematically, researches baduk culture in depth, and acquires wide and knowledge related to the game. The graduates will make proper baduk leaders in Korea and foreign countries.
The area of the Baduk Studies is divided into the nature of baduk, technical theory, practical matches, related fields, baduk education, and professional administration, to name a few.
In 1997, Baduk Instruction Studies was established in the College of Arts and Physical Education as a course. In 1998 it was promoted as an independent Department in the College of Arts and Physical Science, The enrollment quota was increased to 30, in 1999. In 2000 the first Bachelor of Art in Baduk Studies appeared and in 2001 the Graduate School of Baduk Studies was opened. By 2003 the first Master of Art in Baduk Studies appeared.
Other scholarships are also provided by university at graduate and undergraduate levels.
- Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) Lab. Supervised by Professor Taikyeong Ted Jeong. Laboratory main research interests include VLSI Implementation for Network and Communications Applications, Low-Power SOC designs, and High-Performance System designs. "We are also specialized in design of sensor and actuators for safety-critical applications. We are always looking for talented and young people who are interested in research areas of our lab and want to continue their graduate studies. In case you find our work interesting, challenging and want to share our workload and enthusiasm kindly contact the professor and graduate students for more information." See more detail in lab HomePage. ASIC Lab
- BioSciences and BioInformatics Lab: The Korea Rice Genome Database WWW Server is maintained by the Dept of Biological Science, Myongji University as a part of Korea Rice Genome Research Program supported by the National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology (NIAST), Rural Development Administration (RDA) under the direction of Science and Technology Policy Institute (STEPI).
- Intelligent Computing Research Lab (ICRL) aims at creating intelligent algorithms by using (artificial) neural networks for engineering and social science problems including inverse problem, pattern recognition, system identification, and optimization problem forecasting. Efforts for designing new architectures of neural networks and their learning algorithms are given in ICRL.
- Computer Graphics Lab
- Next Generation Power Technology Center: NPTC is an Engineering Research Center(ERC) sponsored by the Korean Ministry of Science and Technology and the Korea Science and Engineering Foundation (KOSEF). NPTC is expected to be a world-leading research institute dedicated to the protection and SAS (Station Automation System) technology.
- Radiation Application and Medical Imaging Lab
- Electrical and Electronic Material Lab
- NanoBio Electronics and Systems Lab
- Mobile Computing Lab
- Software Engineering Lab
- Data Engineering Lab
- MicroBiology Lab
- Management Information System Lab
- Institute of Continuing Education
- Research Center for Intelligent Micro-Grid (RCIM): This research center was established on June 1, 2007 by the support of Korea Ministry of Commerce, Industry, and Energy. The aims of this research center are to develop the key technologies required for efficiently interconnecting the distributed generation and to educate the graduate students through carrying out the research project.
- ANTS Lab
- Spatiar Behaviour and Design studies
- SYSO Lab
- NBES (Nano–bio Science & Engineering) Lab is in the Electrical Engineering Building on the Yongin Campus and comes under Nanoscience & Engineering department. "Our research group is focussed on two main research areas: Biosensors and Semiconductor devices.MEMS-NBES Lab."
- Power IT Lab: Research topics are Power Information Technology (IT), Power System protection, Renewable energy Interconnection and Protection.
- (CICMS) Center for Integrated Construction Management Studies: CICMS researches mainly focus on effective utilization of information systems for the construction industry. Areas of research interests include computer integrated construction (CIC), building information modeling (BIM), information strategic planning (ISP), construction business process reengineering (BPR), earned value management systems (EVMS), automated performance measurement and management, automated cost and schedule control, and automated preliminary estimating.
- 교수진, Department of Linguistics, Seoul National University, retrieved May 27, 2010
- "명지대 총장에 宋梓씨 선임" [Song Ja named to Myongji U. chancellorship]. Yonhap News. 1997-06-13. Retrieved 2013-10-17.