T. N. Gill, 1890
Myroconger is the only genus of eels, the thin eels, in the family Myrocongridae. Very little is known about the group.
Until recently, only a single specimen from this family was known. This individual had been caught off St Helena in 1868. In the 1990s and 2000s, deep-sea submersibles identified several more individuals, including four further species. The first known species, M. compressus, was bright red in colour, but not all other species share this trait.
The currently recognized species in this genus are:
- Myroconger compressus Günther, 1870 (red eel)
- Myroconger gracilis Castle, 1991
- Myroconger nigrodentatus Castle & Béarez, 1995 (orange eel)
- Myroconger prolixus Castle & Béarez, 1995
- Myroconger seychellensis Karmovskaya, 2006
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2011). "Myrocongridae" in FishBase. June 2011 version.
- McClosker, John F. (1998). Paxton, J.R. & Eschmeyer, W.N., ed. Encyclopedia of Fishes. San Diego: Academic Press. p. 89. ISBN 0-12-547665-5.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2012). Species of Myroconger in FishBase. December 2012 version.