|Studio album by Keith Jarrett|
|Recorded||December 10, 1975|
|Studio||Generation Sound Studios,
New York City
|Keith Jarrett chronology|
Mysteries is the fourth album on the Impulse label by jazz pianist Keith Jarrett. Originally released in 1976 it features performances by Jarrett's 'American Quartet' which included Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden and Paul Motian with Guilherme Franco added on percussion.
In October 2011, Shades was reissued with Mysteries in a single disc format titled Mysteries / Shades, as part of the Impulse! 2-on-1 series. Both albums were the product of the same recording sessions.
The album was included in the 1996 four disc Mysteries - Impulse Years 1975-76, a box-set which also featured Jarrett's two final albums for Impulse Byablue and Bop-Be.
The Allmusic review by Richard S. Ginell awarded the album four stars stating "The Coltrane-ish 15-minute title track has passages of meditative beauty and others of listless torpor. For completists only."
Writing for jazz-com, Ted Giola gave the track "Everything That Lives Laments" a rating of 95/100 and described it as follows: "The opening section, played in a free tempo, takes on a funereal stateliness. The ensemble plays with great control and sensitivity, but the quality of sound Haden extracts from his bass deserves special mention. Then, shortly after the two-minute market, the combo settles into a lilting groove over a quirky six-bar chord pattern, where what sounds like the start of the turnaround (because the listener is expecting an eight bar structure) is actually the return to the top of the form — a clever device that is very effectively employed here... this recording testifies that his American combo ranked among the finest jazz groups of the mid-1970s."
- All compositions by Keith Jarrett.
- "Rotation" – 11:03
- "Everything That Lives Laments" – 10:04
- "Flame" – 6:10
- "Mysteries" – 15:22
- Mixed and mastered at – Kendun Recorders
- Keith Jarrett – piano, flute, percussion
- Dewey Redman – tenor saxophone, musette, percussion
- Charlie Haden – double bass
- Paul Motian – drums, percussion
- Guilherme Franco – percussion
- Producer – Esmond Edwards
- Engineer – Tony May
- Art Director – Tom Wilkes
- Cover photograph – Keith Jarrett
- "Mysteries - Impulse Years 1975-76 [Box Set" at amazon.com]
- Ginell, R. Allmusic Review accessed September 15, 2011
- "Everything That Lives Laments" review at Jazz-com
- "discogs.com". Retrieved 13 July 2012.