27 June 1942 |
Accrington, Lancashire, England
|Occupation||Newspaper and television astrologer|
Mystic Meg (born Margaret Anne Lake on 27 July 1942) is a British astrologer and psychic who had regular astrology columns in The Sun until 2 January 2015, and, until its demise, in the News of the World. She came to greater public notice when she hosted what became a regular item on the first broadcast of the National Lottery draw in 1994. Her image also appears on various astrology-related books and merchandise. She studied English at the University of Leeds.
In 1995, her regular spot on the National Lottery programmes was lampooned by comedian Brian Conley in the guise of Septic Peg on The Brian Conley Show. She would make ludicrously tedious predictions, such as predicting that the lottery winner would be a man or a woman, and would often glance at the camera cross-eyed. Both Mystic Meg and Septic Peg performed together during Conley's live show, Alive and Dangerous, in 1996.
In the first edition of the News of the World for each year, Mystic Meg traditionally made predictions for the coming twelve months. These predictions ranged from the sensible to the outright absurd, and were often similar from year to year.
She also owns a number of racehorses under the company name Mystic Meg Limited, which is based in Bedford. The horses include Astrodonna, Astronangel, and Astronova and other horses with celestial names.
- "BFI | Film & TV Database | Mystic Meg". Ftvdb.bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Mystic Meg | Horoscopes | Read Your Daily and Monthly Stars Today". The Sun. 2007-11-06. Retrieved 2011-11-18.[dead link]
- "News of the World". Web.archive.org. 2008-07-30. Archived from the original on 2008-07-30. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Septic Peg". YouTube. 2008-09-22. Retrieved 2012-01-31.
- "The Mystic Meg Prediction Experiment 2006". 5318008.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- Miller, Compton (2006-01-23). "Inside Story: The big stars of astrology - Media - News - The Independent". News.independent.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "MYSTIC MEG LIMITED | Companies House Webcheck". Companiesgate.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "All Previous Runs for Horse Astrodonna (GB)". irishracing.com. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Astroangel". Racing Post. 2011-06-02. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Astronova". Racing Post. 2011-06-02. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
|This article about a writer or poet from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This astrology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|