Aéroport de Nîmes-Alès-Camargue-Cévennes
|IATA: FNI – ICAO: LFTW|
|Airport type||Public / Military|
/ Ministère de la Défense (FNF)
|Serves||Nîmes, Gard, France|
|Location||Saint-Gilles / Garons|
|Elevation AMSL||309 ft / 94 m|
|Languedoc-Roussillon region in France|
|Sources: AIP, Airport, UAF, DAFIF|
Nîmes Airport or Nîmes-Alès-Camargue-Cévennes Airport (French: Aéroport de Nîmes-Alès-Camargue-Cévennes) (IATA: FNI, ICAO: LFTW) is an airport located 9 km (4.9 NM) south-southeast of the city of Nîmes, in the village of Saint-Gilles near Garons. It is also known as Garons Airport or Nîmes Garons Airport. The airport serves the Provence region, including the communes of Nîmes and Alès in the Gard department, the Camargue area and the Cévennes.
It currently has some commercial services, operated by Irish carrier Ryanair, however it also serves as a naval air base.
Airlines and destinations
operated by Air Nostrum
|Seasonal: Palma de Mallorca|
|Ryanair||Charleroi, Fes, London-Luton
European Commission investigation
In April 2012, the European Commission announced that it had launched an in-depth investigation into the financial arrangements that Nîmes Airport had with public authorities and Ryanair. The investigation would determine if public subsidies given to the airport, as well as rebates and marketing agreements with Ryanair, breached EU rules on state aid. The Commission announced that it would examine the following issues:
- whether public subsidies of over €2 million and cash advances totalling over €9 million received by the Chamber of Commerce between 2000 and 2006 and public subsidies received by Veolia Transport since 2007 covered their ordinary operating expenses as airport operators, thereby giving them an undue economic advantage over competitors.
- whether agreements (such as marketing support contracts and discounts on airport charges) between the airport operators and Ryanair would have been contracted by a market economy investor and, if not, Ryanair would have been receiving an undue economic advantage that its competitors do not enjoy.
- whether part of the aid received by the airport operators had been passed on to Ryanair.
In response to the announcement, Ryanair maintained that its 'arrangements with all EU airports comply with competition rules'.
- PDF). AIP from French Service d'information aéronautique, effective 14 Nov 2013. (
- (French) Aéroport de Nîmes-Alès-Camargue-Cévennes, official site
- (French) Aéroport de Nîmes-Arles-Camargue at Union des Aéroports Français
- Airport information for LFTW from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for FNI at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- European Commission Press Release: State aid: Commission opens in-depth investigation into potential state aid at Nîmes airport in France
- Financial Times: Brussels opens its 18th Ryanair probe
Media related to Nîmes - Garons Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- (French) Nimes Airport Website
- (French) Personal site on the naval base
- Current weather for LFTW - Nimes / Garons, France at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for FNI / LFTW - Nîmes-Garons Airport at Aviation Safety Network