|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Genres||Heavy metal, Progressive rock|
N.EX.T (New EXperiment Team) is the band of singer/song-writer Shin Hae Chul (신해철). The group split up following the 1997 release of Lazenca: A Space Rock Opera, and the instrumentalists formed the alternative metal band Novasonic with rapper Kim Jun Pyo. N.EX.T reformed around 2003 following the disbanding of Novasonic, and they released the soundtrack to Guilty Gear XX #Reload. A few of its instrumental songs were re-worked into songs with vocals on the following album, The Return Of N.EX.T Part 3: The Book of War/The Diary of a Soldier. The Return of N.EX.T Part 3 included the song "Dear America" which featured many prominent Korean vocalists such as Kim Jn Pyo and Crash's Ahn Heung-Chan. Guitarist Kim SeHwang released his first solo album, Vivaldi: The Four Seasons, on June 27, 2011.
N.EX.T's songs contain many cultural criticisms, with "Turn Off the T.V." and "Money" pointing to mediation and consumerism. Songs such as "Komerican Blues" and "Dear America" are critical of American policies.Criticism of human disregard for the environment can be found in "Lazenca, Save Us" and "The World We Made," which creates musical contrasts between a pleasant, natural world and a terrifying, industrial, human-influenced world. "Cyber Budha Company Ltd." tells of a dark future in which humans can purchase small amounts of divinity through the use of machines and credit cards.
N.EX.T, Psy, and other musicians jointly performed "Dear America" at a 2004 anti-American concert in Seoul. The lyrics, which CNN translated as "Kill those f--ing Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives and those who ordered them to torture", "Kill them all slowly and painfully", and "daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers", created controversy for Psy over eight years later, after he became famous for Gangnam Style.
- 6집 - 666 : trilogy part 1 (2008~2009)
- 5.5집 - ReGame? The 2nd Fan Service (2006)
- 5집 - The Return of N.EX.T Part 3 - 개한민국 (2004)
- The title is a pun on 대한민국 (Republic of Korea). 개 (dog), replacing 대, changes the meaning to loosely mean "Bitch's Republic of Korea."
- Another exclusive interpretation of 개한민국 [Gae;HanMeenKook] is that 개 [Gae] could be 改 [개/Gae] which means "to fix". Then the title could loosely mean "Fix up Republic of Korea," which shows yet more intelligent political message which the song of the same title in the album suggests and the leader Shin really tries to accomplish. The possibility of the double-edged remark is prominent.
- N.EX.T's fifth album, produced entirely by Shin Hae Chul, is a two-disc opus with two distinct themes. Disc one, "The Book of War," is packed with hard-hitting, angry, and political themes. Disc two, "The Diary of a Soldier," is filled with introspective and melodic themes. The album also has a bonus 56 page color booklet.
- GUILTY GEAR XX #RELOAD Korean Version Original Sound Track (2003)
- 4집 - Lazenca : A Space Rock Opera (1997)
- R.U. Ready? - The First Fan Service : Concert Album (1997)
- Here I Stand For You (Single) (1997)
- N.EX.T is Alive - World Live Concert Album (1996)
- 3집 - The Return of N.EX.T Part 2 - World (1996)
- The Being Live Concert Album Chapter 2 (1995)
- The Being Live Concert Album Chapter 1 (1995)
- 2집 - The Return of N.EX.T Part 1 - The Being (1994)
- 1집 - Home (1992)