||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010)|
|Birth name||Joseph Johnson|
|Also known as||Joe Kool, N.O. Joe|
|Born||March 31, 1975|
|Origin||New Orleans, Louisiana, United States|
|Genres||Hip hop, R&B, Pop, Electro, rock|
|Occupation(s)||Record producer, film/tv scoring, songwriter/arranger, singer, musician, rapper|
|Instruments||Guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, keyboards, rapper, vocals, beatboxing, vocoder, drums/percussions|
|Labels||Gumbo Funk/M-PULSE GLOBAL|
Joseph Johnson, known by his stage name N.O. Joe, is a musician, multi platinum Grammy Nominated producer, songwriter, and artist. N.O. Joe was a pioneer of the Southern Hip Hop sound during the 1990s. He operates a production company named Gumbo Funk, which is also a name given to his melange of musical styles.
Johnson was born in New Orleans, Louisiana. While in high school (in New Orleans), he began providing beats to local performers. He was later encouraged to move to New York, where he began an affiliation with Universal Music Group as a producer.
Then known as Joe Kool, Johnson collaborated with Devante Swing, and the production group Da Bassment with that he contributed to Jodeci's first album, Forever My Lady. Johnson went on to work with Brian McKnight, R&B artist Joe and D'Angelo before moving into the rap genre.
Southern hip-hop contributions
N.O. Joe contributed to the following albums (All Album Contributions not Listed):
- Scarface, The Diary
- Scarface, The Last of a Dying Breed
- The Geto Boys, The Resurrection
- UGK, Ridin' Dirty
- UGK, Underground Kingz and individual songs from various UGK albums: "Hi Life", "Murder", "Diamonds and Wood"
- Odd Squad, Fadanuf Fa Erybody!!
N.O. Joe has also contributed as producer to various labels such as Universal Music Group (1990–2003), and Rap-A-Lot as an independent production entity. N.O. Joe has worked on several platinum songs and albums, including a number 1 single "Pushin Weight", to Ice Cube's album War & Peace Vol. 1, LL Cool J's Grammy-nominated The DEFinition and has worked with:
- AZ (rapper)
- In 1995, AZ's album Do or Die peaked on the Billboard as the No. 1 R&B/Hip-Hop Album with chart topping hits such as the title track produced by N.O. Joe, "Doe or Die" which reached the top twenties on the Billboard charts.
"I confess" and "Biggest part of me"
- Brian Mcknight
- In 1992, N.O. Joe teamed up with Brian McKnight to produce "Goodbye My Love" which was his first album release. The entire album went platinum and the single produced by N.O. Joe peaked on the Billboard charts in the Top 50.
- Big Mike
- In 1995, N.O. Joe worked with D'Angelo on the UK-released version of "Cruisin".
- De La Soul
- Devin the Dude
- Ice Cube
- Ganksta N-I-P
- Geto Boys
- Lil Wayne
- LL Cool J
- The Luniz
- Master P
- Rick Ross
- The Geto Boys
Albums featuring N.O. Joe
|Till Death Do Us Part
|Doe or Die
|War & Peace Vol. 1
|The Last of a Dying Breed
|Just Tryin' ta Live|
N.O. Joe's music has also been featured on the following soundtracks:
|I Dream of Jesus