N. Chandra or Chandrashekhar Narvekar (born 4 April 1952), is an Indian producer, writer and director, known for his dark and loud films such as Ankush, Pratighaat, Tezaab and Narasimha. Chandra also made the successful but critically scorned Style and its sequel Xcuse Me.
He was born in Mumbai, Maharashtra. With Ankush, his directorial debut, in 1986, Chandra began his projection of the angry young man. He wrote, directed, produced and edited the film, which starred Nana Patekar. The following year he came up with Pratighaat (1987), a film on the gruesome reality of politics in India. It also brought the strong mental make-up of the Indian woman to the thoughts of the Indian youth. In 1988 he made Tezaab, the film that effectively launched Madhuri Dixit's career. It was the beginning of the Bollywood diva's long and successful pairing with Anil Kapoor, and her mastery of dancing through the song Ek do Teen.
- Y.M.I : Yeh Mera India (2009): Director
- Kagaar: Life on the Edge (2003): Director
- Xcuse Me (2003): Director, producer
- Style (2001): Director, writer, producer
- Shikari (2000): Director
- Wajood (1998): Director, writer, producer
- Beqabu (1996): Director, writer, producer
- Tejasvini (1994): Director
- Yugandhar (1993): Director, writer
- Humlaa (1992): Director, writer
- Narasimha (1991): Director, writer, producer
- Tezaab (1988): Director, writer, producer, editor
- Pratighaat (1987): Director, writer, editor
- Ankush (1986): Director, writer, producer, editor
Apart from writing Two Town Rowdy (1989), he was the associate producer for Anbu Vazhi (1968), and edited Mera Dharam (1986), Mohabbat (1985), Dharam Aur Kanoon (1984), Woh Saat Din (1983) and Bezubaan (1981).
The movie "Pratighatana" (Telugu) was later remade in Hindi as Pratighaat (1987) starred by Sujata Mehta and Nana Patekar
|This biographical article related to film in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|