NATO Architecture Framework
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
The current NATO C3 System Architecture Framework v2 (NAF v2), issued by NATO in September 2004 provides guidance on describing communication and information systems. Revision 3 of the NATO Architecture Framework (NAF), promulgated in November 2007, is identical to MODAF at its core, but extends the framework by adding views for Bandwidth Analysis, SOA and standard configurations.
The seven views are:
- NATO All View (NAV)
- NATO Capability View (NCV)
- NATO Operational View (NOV)
- NATO Service-Oriented View (NSOV)
- NATO Systems View (NSV)
- NATO Technical View (NTV)
- NATO Programme View (NPV)
Each view has a set of subviews.
NAF Meta-Model (NMM)
Using the UK Ministry of Defence's MODAF Documentation for NAF Work
The documentation of the NAF Rev 3 views (Chapter 4) does not always align well with the NAF Meta Model (Chapter 5). This is particularly the case with some of the examples, which are based on DoDAF version 1.0. Some NAF users find it useful to first of all refer the official MODAF Documentation - . This is a useful strategy, as the MOD documentation can be somewhat easier to follow, and NAF and MODAF share a common meta-model. However, there are some issues to consider:
- The MODAF documentation covers version 1.2.004 of the meta-model which has some small differences from v3.1 of the NAF Meta-Model (which was a NATO release of v1.2.001 of the MODAF Meta-Model). At the time of writing, plans were in place to update the NAF Meta-Model to correspond with MODAF v1.2.004. At any time though, there is a chance of NAF being behind MODAF as updates are made.
- The SOA views differ significantly between MODAF and NAF. In particular, MODAF handles in service orchestration in the Operational Viewpoint (OV-5) whereas NAF uses NSOV-5
- MODAF does not have a TV-3 view
In most other respects, the MODAF documentation is fit for use in developing NAF architectures.
- NATO C3 Board
- NATO Architecture Framework v3
- The initial work done on the bandwidth and frequency view in NAF v3 has since been further investigated by UK MOD CIO-J6 as part of the Spectrum Management work for CCEB
- NATO Presentation on NAF by Frits Broekema from Integrated EA Conference 2009
- Summary of changes from NAF v2 to v3