|Key people||Dr Ziggy Switkowski (Executive Chairman)|
|Services||Wholesale data network|
|Revenue||A$16.824 million (2013)|
|Net income||A$(931.665) million (2013)|
|Total assets||A$5.519 billion (2013)|
|Total equity||A$3.418 billion (2013)|
|Employees||2,808 (2013) |
NBN Co was established on 9 April 2009 under the name of its company number, "A.C.N. 136 533 741 Limited". After the establishment, the Australian Government started referring to the company as "National Broadband Network Company", which became the de facto company name. It was officially named "NBN Co Limited" on 6 October 2009. It now trades as "NBN Co".
- Dr Ziggy Switkowski - Executive Chairman
- Mr Patrick Flannigan - Non-Executive Director
- Mr Simon Hackett - Non-Executive Director
- Ms Alison Lansley - Non-Executive Director
- Mr Justin Milne - Non-Executive Director
- Dr Kerry Schott - Non-Executive Director
Source: NBN Co Board
Management structure and key roles
Below is the management structure of NBN Co
|Chief Executive Officer
|Head of Regulatory Affairs
|Chief Legal Counsel
|Chief Strategy Officer
|Chief Financial Officer
|Chief Customer Officer
|Chief Operating Officer
Mike Quigley announced in June 2010 he would donate $2 million to Neuroscience Research Australia (NeuRA), which will use the NBN to deliver remote rehabilitation therapy to stroke patients via the Nintendo Wii game console. Two million dollars is approximately equivalent to the NBN CEO's first year salary.
Mike Quigley announced in July 2013 that he would retire from NBN Co until a new CEO is found . He departed on 3 October 2013, replaced by former Telstra CEO Ziggy Switkowski as Executive Chairman (and Interim CEO) with immediate effect.
At the end of June 2013, NBN Co had 2,808 employees.
Ownership and funding
NBN Co is a wholly owned Commonwealth Government Business Enterprise (GBE) reporting to the Minister for Finance & Deregulation and the Minister for Broadband, Communications & the Digital Economy
Under the previous government's NBN Co corporate plan, it was estimated that the NBN construction would require A$27.5 billion in Government equity and raise an estimated A$13.4 billion in debt funding without government support; a total funding requirement of A$40.9 billion up to FY2021. Financial forecasts for NBN Co assuming a 7% Internal Rate of Return (IRR) expect the Government and Debt equity will be fully repaid including accrued interest by FY2040 These forecasts have now been made redundant with the change of government following the 2013 Federal Election. The new Liberal National Coalition government is undertaking a 60 day strategic review of the project, stating the intention to investigate the best infrastructure technology mix to deliver fast broadband around the country as soon as possible and at the lowest cost.
This has resulted in the implementation of both FTTN (Fibre to the node) technology in metropolitan areas, and LTE Fixed wireless technology in regional areas.
- "NBN Co Limited". Australian Government Directory. Australian Government. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- NBN Co (2013-06-30). "NBN Co Annual Report 2013". Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- NBN Co Limited, National names index, Australian Securities and Investments Commission, retrieved 2 June 2011
- LeMay, Renai; Tindal, Suzanne (7 April 2009), NBN company established, looks for CEO, ZDNet, retrieved 1 June 2011
- LeMay, Renai (7 October 2009), It's official: 'NBN Co. Ltd' is the name, ZDNet, retrieved 1 June 2011
- Beer, Stan (7 April 2009), NBN to make 49% up for grabs but who wants it?, iTWire, retrieved 1 June 2011
- Tindal, Suzanne (1 May 2009), NBN company constitution revealed, ZDNet, retrieved 1 June 2011
- LeMay, Renai (30 April 2009), NBN company details hard to find, ZDNet, retrieved 1 June 2011
- "NBN Co Management Structure". NBN Co. Retrieved 7 Nov 2013.
- Corner, Stuart (25 July 2009), Mike Quigley to be CEO of NBN Co, iTWire, retrieved 1 June 2011
- LeMay, Renai (25 July 2009), Alcatel's Quigley wins NBN chair, ZDNet, retrieved 1 June 2011
- Renai LeMay and Liam Tung (29 July 2009), Mike Quigley: The background check, ZDNet, retrieved 1 June 2011
- Kohler, Alan (28 July 2009), Quigley's job is straightforward, ZDNet, retrieved 1 June 2011
- Grubb, Ben (28 June 2010), Quigley rejected lucrative job for NBN, ZDNet, retrieved 1 June 2011
- NBN Co. NBN Co Annual Report 2010 (Report). NBN Co. http://www.nbnco.com.au/assets/documents/nbnco-annual-report-2011.pdf. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- NBN Corporate Plan (Report). NBN Co. 17 December 2010. http://www.nbnco.com.au/assets/documents/nbn-co-3-year-gbe-corporate-plan-final-17-dec-10.pdf. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- Official website of NBN Co
- Official Twitter stream for NBN Co
- Compare NBN plans from Retail Service Providers