NEO Roller Derby is a roller derby league based in Akron, Ohio. Founded in 2007, the league consists of two teams which compete against teams from other leagues.
The league was founded in early 2007 as the Northeast Ohio Rock 'n' Roller Girls by a group of eleven women. The Rock 'n' Roller Girls name is now reserved for the league's A team.
NEO was accepted into the Women's Flat Track Derby Association Apprentice Program in September 2009, and became a full member of the WFTDA in September 2010. By 2011, the league had almost forty skaters, and was attracting crowds averaging 600 people.
The league has attracted attention for raising money for charities including Stewart's Caring Place and the American Red Cross.
- ^ Mike D'Agruma, "New women’s roller derby team rocking out in Akron area", West Side Leader, July 5, 2007
- ^ a b Sean Patrick, "NEO Roller Derby League now part of Women’s Flat Track Derby Association", West Side Leader, June 23, 2011
- ^ "Apprentice Leagues", WFTDA [version of 16 November 2009]
- ^ "9 Leagues Join WFTDA for Full Membership", WFTDA, 1 September 2010
- ^ Jeremy Nobile, "Roller Derby skates for awareness", Tallmadge Express, September 11, 2011
- ^ Amanda Harnocz, "Roller derby rolls out good works", Tallmadge Express, July 26, 2009
- ^ "Current Rankings", WFTDA