NFL Top 100
|NFL Top 100|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||46|
|Running time||3-6 minutes (per player)|
|Original channel||NFL Network|
|Original release||April 30, 2011|
|Related shows||NFL Top 10|
The NFL Top 100 is an annual list that features the top one hundred players in the National Football League (NFL), as chosen by fellow NFL players. The rankings are based on an off-season poll organized by the NFL, whereby players vote on their peers based on the performance of the previous season and their belief of how the player will perform in the coming season. So far, the #1 ranked player has always been the reigning MVP of the league.
NFL Network released ten episodes, each revealing ten players on the list during the 2011 offseason. The first episode, revealing the players ranked #100 through #91 was aired on April 30, 2011. The list's top 10 players were revealed when the tenth episode of the 2011 list was aired on July 3, 2011. The list, and series, began with the #100 ranked player, Washington Redskins quarterback, Donovan McNabb and ended when New England Patriots quarterback and 2010 NFL MVP Tom Brady was selected as the number one ranked player.
The NFL Top 100 list returned for the 2012 NFL season. The season ran from April 28 to June 27, 2012. The list began with Tennessee Titans running back, Chris Johnson, and concluded the reveal of the number one ranked player, and the 2011 MVP, Green Bay Packers quarterback, Aaron Rodgers. Each episode of the season was followed up by NFL Top 100 Reaction Show, which featured NFL Network analysts reacting and voicing their opinions on the ten most recent players revealed on the list.
NFL: The Top 100 Players of 2013, was the third season of the NFL Top 100, which began on April 27, 2013. The list began with Baltimore Ravens tight end Dennis Pitta. The number one ranked player of 2013 was Adrian Peterson, the 2012 MVP.
The NFL Top 100 list returned for a fourth season, ranking players prior to the 2014 NFL season. The season began on May 10, 2014 with Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford being ranked #100, and ended with Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, the 2013 league MVP, being ranked #1.
The NFL Top 100 Players of 2015 premiered on May 6th, kicking off with Packers wide receiver Randall Cobb being ranked #100.
- "Top 100: Donovan McNabb". National Football League. April 27, 2011. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- Aashish Sharma (July 4, 2011). "Tom Brady Named NFL's Top Player of 2011: Why He Will Go Down as the Greatest". Bleacher Report. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- Michael David Smith (April 29, 2012). "Chris Johnson falls 87 spots in NFL Top 100 ranking". Pro Football Talk. NBC Sports. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- Network Ranking (June 27, 2012). "'The Top 100: Players of 2012': Aaron Rodgers". National Football League. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "Top 100 reaction: Biggest surprise". National Football League. April 28, 2012. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- Sara Bibel (April 19, 2013). "NFL Network Presents 'The Top 100 Players of 2013'". TV by the Numbers. Zap 2 it. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- Aaron Wilson (April 29, 2013). "Dennis Pitta Named NFL's 100th-best player". Ravens Insider. Baltimore Sun. Retrieved May 10, 2013.