NGC 5364 imaged with the 24-inch telescope at Mount Lemmon Observatory
|Observation data (J2000 epoch)|
|Right ascension||13h 56m 12.004s|
|Declination||+05° 00′ 52.06″|
|Redshift||1241 ± 4 km/s|
|Distance||54.5 ± 3.9 Mly (16.7 ± 1.2 Mpc)|
|Apparent dimensions (V)||6′.1 × 6′.8|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||11.2|
|UGC 8853, PGC 49555, ZWG 46.9, IRAS13536+0515|
|See also: Galaxy, List of galaxies|
NGC 5364 is a grand design spiral galaxy located 54.5 million light years away in the constellation Virgo. It is inclined to the line of sight from the Earth at an angle of 47° along a position angle of 25°. The morphological classification of NGC 4698 in the De Vaucouleurs system is SA(rs)bc pec, which indicates it has an incomplete ring structure (rs) in the inner part of the galaxy with moderate to loosely wound arms (bc) and has a peculiar aspect (pec). In particular, the appearance of the spiral arms is amorphous and asymmetrical compared to other galaxies with a similar classification. A companion galaxy, NGC 5363, is located to the north of NGC 5364 and their gravitational interaction may be influencing the peculiar morphology of the latter.
The mid-infrared emission in the nucleus appears weak compared to the spiral arms, suggesting a low rate of star formation in the core region. The inner ring of this galaxy spans a diameter of 22 kly (6.7 kpc) and is located slightly off center with the northern side showing a stronger emission in the hydrogen alpha band compared to the southern half. Multiple H II regions lie along the spiral arms, tracing out their extent. Each of the two main arms wrap all the way around the galaxy, although they display patchiness along much of their length.
- Skrutskie, M. F. et al. (February 2006), "The Two Micron All Sky Survey (2MASS)", Astrophysical Journal 131 (2): 1163–1183, Bibcode:2006AJ....131.1163S, doi:10.1086/498708.
- Grouchy, R. D. et al. (June 2010), "Ring Star Formation Rates in Barred and Nonbarred Galaxies", The Astronomical Journal 139 (6): 2465–2493, arXiv:1004.5063, Bibcode:2010AJ....139.2465G, doi:10.1088/0004-6256/139/6/2465.
- Bendo, George J. et al. (June 2002), "An Infrared Space Observatory Atlas of Bright Spiral Galaxies", The Astronomical Journal 123 (6): 3067–3107, Bibcode:2002AJ....123.3067B, doi:10.1086/340083.
- Buta, Ronald J. et al. (2007), Atlas of Galaxies, Cambridge University Press, pp. 13–17, 216, ISBN 0521820480.
- "NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database". Results for NGC 5364. Retrieved 2007-04-06.
- Revised NGC Data for NGC 5317
- Kennicutt, R. C., Jr. (December 1981), "The shapes of spiral arms along the Hubble sequence", The Astronomical Journal 86: 1847–1858, Bibcode:1981AJ.....86.1847K, doi:10.1086/113064.
- NGC 5364 on WikiSky: DSS2, SDSS, GALEX, IRAS, Hydrogen α, X-Ray, Astrophoto, Sky Map, Articles and images