Irregular Galaxy NGC 6745A with NGC 6745B (bottom right)
|Observation data (J2000 epoch)|
|Right ascension||19h 01m 41.7s|
|Declination||+40° 45′ 11″|
|Redshift||4545 ± 60 km/s|
|Distance||206 Mly |
|Apparent dimensions (V)||1′.4|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||13.3|
|See also: Galaxy, List of galaxies|
NGC 6745 (also known as UGC 11391) is an irregular galaxy about 206 million light-years (63.5 mega-parsecs) away in the constellation Lyra. It is actually a triplet of galaxies in the process of colliding.
The three galaxies have been colliding for hundreds of millions of years. After passing through the larger galaxy (NGC 6745A), the smaller one (NGC 6745B) is now moving away. The larger galaxy was probably a spiral galaxy before the collision, but was damaged and now appears peculiar. It is unlikely that any stars in the two galaxies collided directly because of the vast distances between them. The gas, dust, and ambient magnetic fields of the galaxies, however, do interact directly in a collision. As a result of this interaction, the smaller galaxy has probably lost most of its interstellar medium to the larger one.
The age of NGC 6745 is estimated to be ~10 Myr.
A part of an image on NGC 6745 was found in the keylogger part of the Duqu malware, for unknown reason.
- "NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database". Results for NGC 6745. Retrieved 2006-11-25.
- "A Bird's Eye View of a Galaxy Collision - Fast Facts". Retrieved 2008-02-26.
- de Grijs, R.; Anders, P.; Bastian, N.; Lynds, R.; Lamers, H. J. G. L. M.; O'Neil, E. J. (2003). "Star cluster formation and evolution in nearby starburst galaxies - II. Initial conditions". Monthly Notice of the Royal Astronomical Society 343 (4): 1285–1300. arXiv:astro-ph/0305184. Bibcode:2003MNRAS.343.1285D. doi:10.1046/j.1365-8711.2003.06777.x.
Media related to NGC 6745 at Wikimedia Commons
- NGC 6745: The Astronomer's Story
- HubbleSite - NewsCenter - A Bird's Eye view of a Galaxy Collision
- APOD: 2006 November 5 - A Galaxy Collision in NGC 6745
|This galaxy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|