|Launched||April 1, 1998 (as NHK World TV)
July 23, 2006 to December 6, 2009 (current format)
|Picture format||4:3, 480p (SDTV)
|Slogan||Your Eye on Asia|
|New York City
|District of Columbia
|San Francisco, California
|Foxtel Australia||Channel 656|
|GVT Brazil||Channel 140|
|Sky Brasil||Channel 114|
|DD Direct+ India||Channel 42|
|Indovision Indonesia||Channel 354|
|DirecTV Latin America||Channel 782 (pay per view)|
|Astro Malaysia||Channel 398|
|SKY México Mexico||Channel 283 (Mexico)|
|Cignal Digital TV (Philippines)||Channel 83|
|G Sat Philippines||Channel 32|
|Digital+ (Spain)||Channel 574|
|TrueVisions Thailand||Channel 76|
|Sky UK and Ireland||Channel 507 (HD)|
|Freesat UK||Channel 209 (HD)|
|GlobeCast Australia and New Zealand (Optus D2 152°E)||12546 V 22500 3/4 (SD)|
|AsiaSat 3S Asia||3880 H 27500 3/4|
|Astra 19.2 Europe||11,509 MHz (Vertical)|
|Intelsat 19 (166°E)||4060 MHz H 26590 1/2 (DVB-S QPSK)|
|Intelsat 20 (68.5°E)||3739 MHz H 26590 1/2 (DVB-S QPSK)|
|Intelsat 21 (58.0°W)||4040 MHz H 26590 1/2 (DVB-S QPSK)|
|Foxtel Australia||Channel 656|
|Time Warner Cable Hawaii, US||Channel 682 & 1682 (HD)|
|Cable TV Hong Kong||Channel 154|
|First Media Indonesia||Channel 257|
|Skylife Korea||Channel 97 (HD)|
|Minneapolis Public Schools Minneapolis, MN||Channel 78|
|Cablelink Philippines||Channel 66|
|Destiny Cable Philippines||Channel 72|
|Parasat Cable TV Philippines||Channel 315|
|SkyCable Philippines||Channel 130 & 131 (Digital)|
|Onlime Russia||Channel 96|
|GTD Manquehue Santiago de Chile||Channel 127|
|StarHub TV Singapore||Channel 147 & 148|
|TrueVisions Thailand||Channel 76|
|Virgin Media UK||Channel 625 (HD)|
San Francisco, California
|Now TV Hong Kong||Channel 710|
|AT&T U-verse||Channel 1221 (HD)|
NHK World is the international broadcasting service of NHK (Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai - Japan Broadcasting Corporation), Japan's public broadcaster. The service is aimed at the overseas market, similar to BBC World News, DW, France 24 and RT, and broadcast through satellite and cable operators throughout the world.
NHK World provides three services: NHK World Radio Japan, NHK World TV, and NHK World Premium. NHK World also makes most of its programming available through an online version of the television channel.
NHK World Television
NHK commenced international TV broadcasting services for North America and Europe in 1995. On April 1, 1998, NHK World Television started broadcasting. NHK's news and information channel broadcasts internationally via satellite and cable TV. Programming is broadcast in English. It began as a news channel in February 2009 using the traditional NHK World logo in their own digital on-screen graphic (DOG). Previously, NHK World TV used the traditional "3 Eggs" logo of NHK. The NHK World DOG in the news program, Newsline, is on the bottom left corner of the television screen. In other programming, the DOG is moved to the top left corner of the television screen. Some of the shows are produced by production studio JIB TV which is 60% owned by NHK with the remaining 40% owned by private investors like Microsoft and Japanese bank Mizuho. The NHK World DOG is not used at all when shows produced by JIB TV are aired. Asia Available; TVB Network Vision Channel 95 now TV Channel 710 Cable TV Channel 154
NHK World Premium
NHK World Premium Television broadcasts a mixture of news, sports and entertainment in Japanese worldwide via satellite as a subscription service. In Europe this service is broadcast under the name JSTV and in the US it is known as TV Japan. The programmes generally don't carry English subtitles.
Current programmes on the channel are:
- Artisan x Designer - features a team of Japanese artisan and designer, showcasing products of their creative collaboration. Presented with a twist of CG animation.
- Asia Biz Forecast - hosted by Yuko Fukushima; the program forecasts Asia's rapidly changing business, finance and market trends, bringing strategies of hot Asian companies and economist insights.
- Asia Insight - is a documentary series that portrays Asia today. The region's new face as a centre of growth that is attracting considerable world attention, its traditional face that is being tossed around by the advance of globalization, and other themes are presented with in-depth behind-the-scenes analysis.
- Asia This Week - hosted by Minori Takao; NHK World updates seven days of developments in Japan and Asia, covering the cultures, economies, and politics of more than four billion people.
- ASIAN VOICES - hosted by Aiko Doden; this program discusses global issues from an Asian perspective and transmits the voices of Asia to the world.
- At Home with Venetia in Kyoto - Venetia Stanley-Smith has been living in Kyoto's Ohara district for a decade. We introduce her eco-friendly and people-friendly way of life.
- BEGIN Japanology - hosted by Peter Barakan; this program explores many aspects of Japan, both traditional and contemporary: arts, sports, entertainment, food, technology, nature, etc.
- Booked for Japan - By discussing essential reading with each famous guest, Japanese literature expert Robert Campbell reveals their values and worldview.
- Cool Japan - hosted by Shoji Kokami & Risa Stegmayer; some aspects of Japanese customs are considered "cool" by foreigners. COOL JAPAN is a television show that illustrates the quickly changing Japanese culture and how it is perceived by the international community that have recently made Japan their home.
- Core Kyoto - the ancient capital, Kyoto, continues to be innovative after 1,200 years. We dive deep into its core over 20 episodes in this definitive program.
- DESIGN TALKS - hosted by Andrea Pompilio; magazine style intellectual aesthetic voyage, exploring art and philosophy in Japanese designs from antiques to high-techs, commodities and fashions.
- Global Debate WISDOM - hosted by Takashi Mashimo & Christel Takigawa; is a new style of global forum for the digital network era. Experts around the world are linked to the studio by the latest telecommunications technology to debate serious issues faced by the world today and explore possible solutions that will help us carve out the future.
- Go, Kitchen, Go! - hosted by Taiyo Sugiura; chefs travel around Japan on Kitchen Car to meet farmers, fishermen and cook signature dishes with local ingredients to entertain the producers.
- Great Gear - hosted by Matthew Masaru Barron; covers the latest in Japanese ideas and technology from a wide range of industries. In-depth features focus on innovation and tradition in craft, engineering, design and business.
- GREAT NATURE - features the earth's 4.6 billion-year history—its dynamism, mysterious phenomenon, mother ocean—all presented in high quality formats.
- imagine-nation - hosted by Chiaki Horan & Nicholas Pettas; spotlighting Japanese pop culture, interviews with leading creators are featured along with the latest trends in Japanese anime, video game and manga.
- Itadakimasu! Dining with the Chef - hosted by Seira Kagami & Patrick Harlan with master chefs Tatsuo Saito & Rika Yukimasa; this program introduces the worldview and attraction of Japanese cuisine that cares about the overall harmony of a variety of ingredients.
- J-Architect - hosted by Yusuke Koshima; a Japanese architect's latest work is examined in ideas, technologies and designs to elucidate the key to J-architects' rising global recognition.
- J-Melo - hosted by May J.; features the latest, cutting edge developments in Japanese music, selections of hit songs, and diverse material from a wide range of different music genres - pop, rock, jazz and classical.
- J-TECH Innovation & Evolution - hosted by Marc Carpentier; close up on the forefront of development and production of leading Japanese manufacturers to reveal the secret of 'Made in Japan' products' supremacy.
- journeys in japan - Every week, reporters travel around the country, meeting the people in each area and exploring the local culture. They discover aspects of Japan that are hard to find in a guide book.
- Kawaii International - hosted by Mari Sekine, Melody Yoko & Misha Janette; enjoy the latest information from Tokyo on Kawaii people, items, and experiences! Everything Kawaii followers worldwide want to know can be found here!
- Lunch ON! - offers insights into working people of all kinds, by looking at their lunch. Discover what they eat as they strive to reach new heights!
- March to Recovery - this program shows Japan's efforts to revive itself.
- NHK Newsline - updates viewers with the latest hard news every hour, covering world events and business-related news, as well as providing global weather forecasts.
- NHK Documentary - NHK's flagship current affairs documentary program.
- Science View - hosted by Tomoko Kimura, Rena Yamada & Michelle Nozomi Yamamoto; gives the world a window onto science and technology in Japan. Topics covered include space, life sciences, medicine, earth science, archaeology and much more.
- Seasoning the Seasons - visits various locations around Japan to introduce the charms of their local daily life, festivals, and unique scenery.
- Shima Kosaku's Asian Entrepreneurs - This series focuses on Asia's new entrepreneurs and their secrets for growth, using a unique style combining documentary and animation.
- SPORTS JAPAN - hosted by Ayako Kisa; tells you about the world of Japanese sports from sumo wrestling to judo to more globally played sports such as soccer and tennis. This show also examines the science of sport.
- Today's Close Up - hosted by Hiroko Kuniya Kunitani; takes an in-depth look not only at controversial and comprehensive agendas in Japan but also at many global issues.
- Tokyo Eye - hosted by Chris Peppler; discover the many faces of the metropolis including the latest trends, events and hidden attractions.
- Tokyo Fashion Express - hosted by Aki Shibuya; discover Japan's fashion trends as TFX goes behind the scenes to meet with Japan's leading designers and creators.
- TOMORROW beyond 3.11 - a documentary series presents perspectives on the March 2011 disaster and recovery from filmmakers, musicians, thinkers, athletes, singers and actors from around the world who travelled to the region to support the well-being of survivors.
- WILDLIFE - features nature, conveying the "real earth". Thoroughly observed images of great nature and vibrant wildlife, captured by the latest video.
NHK World Radio Japan (RJ) broadcasts news, information, and entertainment programs focusing on Japan and Asia, for a daily total of 65 hours of broadcasts. Radio Japan provides two services:
- General Service broadcasts worldwide in Japanese and English
- Regional Service broadcasts to specific geographical zones in 17 languages: English, Arabic, Bengali, Burmese, Chinese, French, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Thai, Urdu, and Vietnamese
RJ SW Relay Stations
RJ runs a domestic SW relay station
RJ also leases or owns several external relay stations
- United Kingdom - BBC
- Ascension Island - BBC relay station
- Sri Lanka
- Singapore - BBC relay station
- Canada - Radio Canada International
- Bonaire Island - Radio Netherlands
- French Guiana - Radio France Internationale
Radio Japan historical output (1950–1996)
For a comparison of Radio Japan to other broadcasters see the following:
|VOA, RFE/RL & Radio Martí||497||1,495||1,907||1,901||2,611||1,821|
|China Radio International||66||687||1,267||1,350||1,515||1,620|
|BBC World Service||643||589||723||719||796||1,036|
|Radio Moscow / Voice of Russia||533||1,015||1,908||2,094||1,876||726|
|Radio Cairo (ERTU)||0||301||540||546||605||604|
|IRIB World Service / Voice of the Islamic Republic of Iran||12||24||155||175||400||575|
|All India Radio||116||157||271||389||456||500|
|NHK World Radio Japan||0||203||259||259||343||468|
|Radio France Internationale||198||326||200||125||379||459|
|Radio Netherlands Worldwide||127||178||335||289||323||392|
|Israel Radio International||0||91||158||210||253||365|
|Voice of Turkey||40||77||88||199||322||364|
|Radio Pyongyang / Voice of Korea||0||159||330||597||534||364|
|Radio Tirana (RTSH)||26||63||487||560||451||303|
|Radio Romania International||30||159||185||198||199||298|
|Radio Exterior de España||68||202||251||239||403||270|
|Radio Havana Cuba||0||0||320||424||352||203|
|Rai Italia Radio||170||205||165||169||181||203|
|Radio Canada International||85||80||98||134||195||175|
|Radio RSA / Channel Africa||0||63||150||183||156||159|
|Sveriges Radio International||28||114||140||155||167||149|
|Voice of Nigeria||0||0||62||170||120||127|
|Radio Belgrade / International Radio of Serbia||80||70||76||72||96||68|
Source: International Broadcast Audience Research, June 1996
The list includes about a quarter of the world's external broadcasters whose output is both publicly funded and worldwide. Among those excluded are Taiwan, Vietnam, South Korea and various international commercial and religious stations.
- Does not broadcast on shortwave as of 2013.
- 1996 figures as at June; all other years as at December.
- Before 1991, broadcasting for the former USSR.
- Before 1996, broadcasting for the former Czechoslovakia.
NHK World programs and contents are available online:
- NHK World - Online news and live HQ stream of NHK World TV
- Radio Japan . live streams, podcasts and archive programming
- Japanese Lessons - Re-edited versions of Basic Japanese for You and Brush Up Your Japanese.
Only a limited number of programs are available online for free.
- International broadcasting in Japan
- NHK Newsline, new English language newscast on NHK World TV
- Int'l After School