||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: does not meet project guidelines. (June 2008)|
Eric Staal on the cover of NHL 08
|Developer(s)||EA Canada (PS3, Xbox 360)
HB Studios (PS2, PC)
|Genre(s)||Sports - Ice Hockey Sim|
|Mode(s)||Single-player, multiplayer, multiplayer online|
NHL 08 is a video game that was scheduled to be released on September 11, 2007 in North America but was delayed for a day due to shipping issues. NHL 08 features the Skill Stick System which EA says will allow gamers to more easily control the puck. There is also a way to release the puck and control your player around the defender then retrieve the puck to perform 1-on-1 dekes.
NHL 08 also includes "Goalie Mode", where users can control their goalie with a new 3rd person camera. Another new feature is the ability to create custom plays, where you can take a team into practice mode and work on creating a custom play.
New communication occurs through the controller rumble feature allowing users to communicate with a teammate in multiplayer games. Users can call for the puck by tapping the ice with their stick just like the pros.
With the NHL going to the Rbk Edge jerseys with new color patterns and even new logos for some teams, for the 2007/08 NHL season, EA Sports has reported that all 30 teams' new jerseys will be in the game. A code to unlock the new Rbk Edge jerseys was posted on the Rbk Hockey website. This code can be entered in the "Rbk Edge" tab under the "My NHL 08" menu. The code was released before all the jerseys were released, but was subsequently taken off the Reebok site leading to speculation that Reebok had intentionally leaked the code.
A Dynasty Mode allows users to create a dream team and play through to the Stanley Cup, however there is no fantasy draft on the current generation version of the game (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3), only on the PC and PlayStation 2 versions.
For the first time ever, the game features the 29 teams of the American Hockey League. Players will be able to develop talent through the AHL, and then call up their prospects to play in the NHL. Every AHL team is fully playable. Sweden's Elitserien and Finland's SM-liiga are also included on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation. However, the DEL and Extraliga are only to be found on the PC and PlayStation 2 versions.
Next generation features include the creation of custom plays, on the fly AI, a new skating engine, goalie mode and 3 on 3 (a normal 5 on 5 game, but up to 3 people on each team can control the players) online team play. Commentary is once again provided by Gary Thorne and Bill Clement for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game, however, Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson return for the sixth generation versions.
A more advanced shootout mode allows you to pull out very advanced moves on the new and improved skill stick. For example, you could fake a slap and then pull a backhand. The shootout mode allows you to pull off moves with your favorite players offline and online as well.
The demo of NHL 08 was released on August 30, 2007. It should be known that the demo does not include the Ottawa Senators' or Anaheim Ducks' new jerseys, as it uses their jerseys from the 2006-2007 season. The demo features the 3rd period of a 5 on 5 game between the Anaheim Ducks against the Ottawa Senators; if tied, it will go straight to a shootout.
- Tagline: "No game is ever the same"
- Covers: Eric Staal (Main)
- The game won Gamespot's "Best Sports Game of 2007" award.
|NHL 08 Soundtrack|
|Airbourne||"Stand Up for Rock 'N' Roll"|
|Anberlin||"A Whisper and a Clamor"|
|Bayside||"The Walking Wounded"|
|The Black Keys||"Just Got to Be"|
|Disco Ensemble||"This is My Head Exploding"|
|Dustin Kensrue||"I Knew You Before"|
|Enter Shikari||"Sorry, You're Not a Winner"|
|Jupiter One||"Turn Up the Radio"|
|Luna Halo||"Kings & Queens"|
|Manchester Orchestra||"Wolves at Night"|
|Mando Diao||"The Wildfire (If It Was True)"|
|The Mooney Suzuki||"99%"|
|PlayRadioPlay!||"Compliment Each Other Like Colors"|
|The Ponys||"Double Vision"|
|Pop Levi||"Sugar Assault Me Now"|
|The View||"Comin' Down"|
|The Wolfmen||"Jackie Says"|
- Wells Greeno-McNeil is the name of a high school student whose parents had connections with the game's developers
- The default created player names are of the game's developers.
- Eric Lindros appears as a free agent despite being retired.
- Alexei Yashin appears as an NHL free agent despite having signed with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the Kontinental Hockey League in 2007-08.
- John LeClair appears as a free agent despite being retired.
- In the PC and PS2 versions, Ryan Whitney, who at the time was with the Pittsburgh Penguins, is sometimes referred to as "Whitaker" in the game's commentary.
- In the PS2 and PC versions, Antero Niittymäki, who at the time was with the Philadelphia Flyers, is sometimes referred to as "Cam Ward" or simply "Ward" when he makes saves.
- In the PC version, Josh Harding, who is with the Minnesota Wild is sometimes referred to as Niklas Bäckström when he makes a save.
- "GameSpot's NHL 08 First Look". GameSpot. June 11, 2007. Retrieved June 17, 2008.
- "AHL featured in EA's NHL 08". June 12, 2007. Archived from the original on June 5, 2008. Retrieved June 17, 2008.
- "EA SPORTS NHL08 Features Page". Retrieved June 17, 2008.[dead link]
- "NHL 08 for Xbox 360 Review". Gamespot. April 10, 2008. Archived from the original on October 11, 2007. Retrieved June 17, 2008.
- "NHL 08 Review". IGN. April 10, 2008. Retrieved June 17, 2008.
- Goble, Gord (October 2007). "NHL 08: Skill-Stick, Same Old Shtick". Games for Windows: The Official Magazine (Ziff Davis Media) (11): 69.
- Greeno-McNeil, Wells. "Picture of the real Wells (Bottom left, captioned picture)". Retrieved June 7, 2012.