Alexander Ovechkin on the cover of NHL 2K10
|Release date(s)||September 15, 2009|
|Genre(s)||Sports (ice hockey)|
NHL 2K10 is an ice hockey simulation developed by Visual Concepts and published by 2K Sports, part of the NHL 2K series. It was released on September 15, 2009 for Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 2. Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda provide commentary as they did for NHL 2K9. As of 2011, NHL 2K10 was the final 2K Sports ice hockey video game released for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360, as NHL 2K11 was released only for the iPhone & Wii.
Washington Capitals All-Star left winger Alexander Ovechkin was confirmed as the cover athlete of NHL 2K10. This is the third time Ovechkin has been a cover athlete, as he was featured on the cover of NHL 07 and on the Russian cover of NHL 09.
Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 features
- Face-Off Online: Improving from past online features, NHL 2K10 allow players to create online teams, play in leagues and join tournaments.
- Control the Puck: Improved controls let players have smoother puck handling; New to the 2K series is defensive moves like stick lifts and the ability to take stumble shots.
- Better Graphics: The quality of the players appearances will be improved to make them look like their real life counterpart. Building from last years game (NHL 2K9), NHL 2K10 have brighter arenas and realistic pre-game introductions like those seen in real life.
- Smarter Hockey: Ameliorating the A.I. to make the gameplay more realistic so players will be in their offensive, defensive zones, and have accurate positioning which will improve breakouts.
- Control the Puck: Utilizing the Wii Motion Plus will make realistic and responsive controls for one-to-one play, puck handling, passing, and shooting.
- Mii SuperSkills Competition: Implementing the Wii's Mii's, players can take their Mii on the ice.
PlayStation 2 features
- Aerial Camera: A camera will be added to give players a new perspective so they will be able to evaluate their positioning and playmaking.
- Legit Player Behavior: Players will perform on the ice the way their stats reflect.
The soundtrack is as follows:
- 1901 - Phoenix
- Skeleton Boy - Friendly Fires
- Feel.Love.Thinking.Of - Faunts
- Time to Pretend - MGMT
- Too Fake - Hockey
- Take My Everything - War Stories
- Superstar - Lupe Fiasco feat. Matthew Santos
- Blue Day - Darker My Love
- Crowd Chant - Joe Satriani
- The Stuff - Tin Foil Phoenix
- The Victim - 2nd Day Crush
- Anything At All - Fono
- Take it Back - 20 Pound Shovel
Scores were average on both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360; Average scores were 66% (PS3) and 65% (Xbox 360); The Wii version, however, is generally considered to be the best version of the game. The Wii version got an 80% average score on Metacritic, in which scores are a weighted average from a variety of critic reviews.
- "2K Sports Hits the Ice with NHL 2K10". 2K Sports. 2009-09-15. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- 2K Sports Signs NHL Superstar Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals as Cover Athlete for NHL 2K10
- "2K Beats: NHL 2K10". 2K Sports. Archived from the original on 2012-11-19. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/960821-nhl-2k10/index.html Xbox 360 reviews
- http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/960822-nhl-2k10/index.html PS3 reviews
- http://www.gamerankings.com/wii/960823-nhl-2k10/index.html Wii reviews