Cover featuring Rick Nash
|Genre(s)||Sports (ice hockey simulator)|
|Mode(s)||Single-player, multiplayer, multiplayer online|
NHL 2K9 is an ice hockey simulation made by 2K Sports, part of the NHL 2K series, and published on the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360 consoles. It features former Columbus Blue Jackets left winger Rick Nash on the cover. A demo was released on August 13, 2008 on the PlayStation Network and on August 21 on Xbox Live Marketplace (Gold members only).
NHL 2K9 brings new control schemes for the veterans of the series. The NHL 2K series has updated its stick handling moves, adding more superstar moves (from 2K8), further developed its skating engine, checking, added a new fighting engine, hit by puck collisions, blocked shots, user-controlled Stanley Cup celebrations, playoff beards and more than 1,400 new gameplay animations. New to the online is the ability to play with up to six separate consoles against other teams made of up to six consoles for a 12 console/player game.
Improving on 2K8, there is a new menu interface, pre-game intros, different crowd animations that are wild, new game summary replays, and a new commentary team featuring Randy Hahn, Drew Remenda, and John Shrader (Intermission Host / Rinkside Reporter) of the San Jose Sharks.
Like other 2K sports games, NHL 2K9 features a Reel Maker on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 where players are able to edit saved replays, share them with others online, and rate other players creations via PlayStation Network and Xbox Live. Included are mini games; users will have to option to drive the Zamboni during both intermissions while playing a game. On the Wii, the Wii remote is used as a steering wheel to give the driving a more intuitive feel.
Wii specific features
NHL 2K9 is notable as it is the first full-featured NHL hockey game to be released on Wii. The control set is tailored specifically to the unique features of the Wii control set. Control features include point and click passing, shooting by swinging the Wii Remote, body checking by shaking the Nunchuk, and fights
The soundtrack is as follows:
- Bad Religion – "New Dark Ages"
- Genghis Tron – "Things Don't Look Good"
- High on Fire – "Rumors of War"
- Inner Circle – "Bad Boys"
- Joe Satriani – "Crowd Chant"
- Mastodon – "Iron Tusk"
- NOFX – "Linoleum"
- Operation Ivy – "Bankshot"
- Pennywise – "Knocked Down"
- Protest the Hero – "Goddess Gagged"
- Recliner – "Find a Way"
- The Night Marchers – "Closed for Inventory"
- The Offspring – "Nitro (Youth Energy)"
- Ramones – "Blitzkrieg Bop"
- Lupe Fiasco - "Superstar"
The song "Bad Boys" is always played when a player is sent to the penalty box and when a fight between two players starts. Each team also has a track played at their home arena when they score a goal.
The game received mix reviews
- "NHL 2K9". 2K Sports. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- Bill Barnwell (2008-08-29). "NHL 2K9's Gone Gold - Xbox 360 News at IGN". Xbox360.ign.com. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- "NHL® 2K9 Demo Available for Free Download on PLAYSTATION® Network". 2K Sports. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- "NHL 2K9 Review". 1UP. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- "IGN: NHL 2K9 Review". Xbox360.ign.com. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- Bozon, Mark (2008-09-09). "NHL 2K9 Wii Review". IGN. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- "TeamXbox: NHL 2K9 Review". TeamXbox. 2008-09-09. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
|National Hockey League Officially Licensed Videogame