NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement
The NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement (NHS Institute) was a special health authority of the National Health Service in England. It supported "the NHS to transform healthcare for patients and the public by rapidly developing and spreading new ways of working, new technology and world-class leadership".
Its priority programmes were originally stated as:
- Safer care
- Quality and value
- Building capability
- No delays
- The productive series
- Share and network
In its 2008/2009 work plan these have been restated as:
- Safer care
- Delivering quality and value
- Commissioning for health improvement
- Building capability for a self-improving NHS
- Exploiting innovation - National Innovation Centre
The NHS Institute published papers on its research. These are not, however, publicly available without payment.
It closed in March 2013.
NHS National Innovation Centre
The National Innovation Centre is part of the NHS Institute. Its aim is "to speed up the development of pre-commercial technologies likely to benefit the NHS". It invites proposals for commercial or other innovation which may benefit the NHS and provides support to develop these where appropriate in today's climate.
The NHS network of regional NHS Innovation Hubs have been set up to support NHS funded organisations to identify and develop innovations that are in the interests of patients and society as a whole. They do this through the activities and services of the network and by adoption of the Department of Health (United Kingdom) Guidance. The Innovation Hubs offer legal and commercial support to NHS staff who have a pre-market product.
The NHS Innovation Hub Network work to fulfill the following functions:
- To build IP awareness in the Trusts
- To find and evaluate IP for the Trusts
- To protect and manage IP for the Trusts
- To assist and fund technology development
- To commercialise technology and products
- To facilitate the dissemination of service improvements
The NHS Innovation Hub network in England consist of the following organisations:
- NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement - NHS Institute Business Plan 2008/09
- Closure Notice. http://www.institute.nhs.uk/. Retrieved 15 February 2014. Missing or empty
- NHS National Innovation Centre - About Us
- NHS National Innovation Centre - Innovation Hubs
NHS Innovation Hubs
- Official website
- MEDIPEX - NHS Innovations Yorkshire and Humber
- NHS Innovations North
- Health Enterprise East
- NHS Innovations South East
- MidTech - NHS Innovations West Midlands
- NHS Innovations South West