|Headquarters||Waverley Gate 2-4 Waterloo Place, Edinburgh, EH1 3EG|
|Area served||City of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian, West Lothian|
NHS Lothian is one of the fourteen regions of NHS Scotland. It provides healthcare services in the City of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Mid Lothian and West Lothian areas. Its headquarters are at Waverley Gate, Edinburgh
It is responsible for the care provided by around 29,000 staff at a number of locations:
- 21 hospitals, including 4 major teaching hospitals
- 126 GP practices
- 180 community pharmacies
- 173 dental practices
- 112 ophthalmic practices
NHS Lothian's Accident and Emergency
Minor Injury Dept
The Western General has a nurse led Minor Injury Dept. it is open every day of the year and treats, cuts, burns, infection and small bone breaks. It is an alternative to Accident And Emergency departments and helps to appropriately treat patients whilst helping to reduce inappropriate A & E attendance.
City of Edinburgh
NHS Lothian headquarters are based at Waverley Gate, an office development within the facade of the former GPO in the centre of Edinburgh. They moved there in September 2010 from their old headquarters at Deaconess House, which was formerly the Deaconess Hospital.
It was established in 2001 as the 'umbrella' organisation for all Lothian health services.
There was also three NHS trusts operating in the area- Lothian University Hospitals, Lothian Primary Care and West Lothian Healthcare. The dissolution of these bodies in 2003-2004 meant that NHS Lothian would act as a single health authority, overseeing the planning and delivery of all the region's local health services.
The Chief Executive is Tim Davison.
The NHS Board members are:
Professor James Barbour OBE announced his early retirement from the position of chief executive on 28 April 2012, following accusations of a culture of bullying and manipulation of waiting list times in NHS Lothian.
- "Locations". NHS Lothian. 1 June 2011. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Our organisation: About us". NHS Lothian. 1 June 2011. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "NHS Lothian announces new Chief Executive". Nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk. 2012-07-31. Retrieved 2012-09-14.
- "Board Members". NHS Lothian. 6 January 2014. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- McEwan, Alan (28 April 2012). "NHS Lothian chief takes retirement amid waiting times scandal". Edinburgh Evening News. Retrieved 11 August 2014.