NHS National Services Scotland
NHS National Services Scotland (NSS) is a Non Departmental Public Body which provides advice and services to the rest of NHS Scotland.
Accountable to the Scottish Government, NSS works at the heart of the health service, providing national strategic support services and expert advice to NHS Scotland. It also plays an active and crucial role in the delivery of effective healthcare to patients and the public.
This supporting role to NHS Scotland means the organisation works closely with other NHS organisations, especially NHS Boards, in the delivery of services.
Services are delivered through divisions which provide the core functions of the organisation as follows:
Health Support services enable NHS Boards to focus on delivering health improvement and patient care.
- Health Facilities Scotland - Operational advice on all facilities topics
- Health Protection Scotland - Coordinating health protection
- Information Services Division - Health statistics and analysis
- National Services Division - Screening and specialist health services
- Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service - Blood transfusion services
Business Support services help NHS Boards to operate more efficiently and effectively.
- Central Legal Office - Specialist legal services
- Counter Fraud Services - Deterring, detecting and investigating fraud
- National Information Systems Group - Supports the delivery of IM&T
- National Procurement - Acquiring, storing and delivering goods and services
- Practitioner Services - Family health service payments and patient registration
- Scottish Health Service Centre - Conference facilities and event organising
The National Procurement division operates a fleet of trucks which are based at the National Distribution Centre at Canderside in Lanarkshire. In 2009 the 28 trucks made around 15,000 deliveries to hospitals across Scotland. The contracts that National Procurement has in place were worth £700 million.
NSS are to play a central part in creating the Scottish Wide Area Network (SWAN), which will be a single public services network available for public service organisations within Scotland.
In September 2014 Storm ID were appointed for a 4 year term to provide the framework for IT Specialist Services.
National Services Scotland (NSS) is the common name for the Common Services Agency for NHS Scotland.
- "How we work: about us". NHS National Services Scotland. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "Practitioner Services: About us". NHS National Services Scotland. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "Scottish Health Service Centre". NHS National Services Scotland. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "Smarter buying in the NHS". Scottish Government. 25 May 2010. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- Moises, Anne (13 March 2014). "Scottish Wide Area Network (SWAN)". Digital (official Scottish Government blog). Scottish Government. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "Storm ID Appointed to NHS National Services Scotland (NSS) Framework for IT Specialist Services". Storm ID. 22 September 2014. Retrieved 28 September 2014.