NHS Shetland is one of the fourteen regions of NHS Scotland. It provides healthcare services in Shetland. NHS Shetland was headquartered in Brevik House, Lerwick, but the site has been sold and is be redeveloped as a Holiday Inn Express hotel opening early 2016.
NHS Shetland operates two hospitals:
- Gilbert Bain Hospital, Lerwick
- Montfield Hospital, Lerwick
The director of public health is Dr Sarah Taylor.
There are 10 GP practices in Shetland with a primary care emergency centre in Lerwick staffed by three salaried GPs. There are difficulties in recruiting and retaining staff because of the isolation of some of the practices. Whalsay has been without a permanent doctor for more than a year.
- "Former NHS HQ on Shetland set to become a hotel". Press and Journal. 6 December 2014. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
- Johnson, Peter (30 September 2014). "NHS top earners revealed". Shetland Times. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
- "Rural population finds itself on receiving end of urban policy again". Health Service Journal. 9 September 2004. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
- "NHS funds ‘should help tackle GP shortages’". Shetland Times. 2 December 2014. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
|This article related to government in Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to Shetland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|