National Highway 67 (India)(old numbering)
|National Highway 67|
|Length:||520 km (320 mi)|
|From:||Nagapattinam, Tamil Nadu|
|NH 226 in Thanjavur
NH 45C in Thanjavur
NH 210 in Tiruchirappalli
NH 227 in Tiruchirappalli
NH 45B in Tiruchirappalli
NH 7 in Karur
NH 47 in Coimbatore
NH 209 in Coimbatore
|To:||Gundlupet, Chamrajnagar district, Karnataka|
|States:||Tamil Nadu: 505 km
Karnataka: 50 km
|Nagapattinam - Thanjavur - Thiruvarur - Tiruchirappalli - Karur - Coimbatore - Udagamandalam - Gudalur - Gundlupet|
National Highway 67 is a National Highway connecting Nagapattinam in Tamil Nadu to Gundlupet in Karnataka in South India. The highway passes through Udagamandalam, Coimbatore, Thanjavur and Tiruchirappalli. The total length of NH 67 runs to 555 km (345 mi). The NH 67 passes through Bandipur National Park in Karnataka state and Mudumalai National Park in Tamil Nadu. Wild animals are often hit and killed by speeding vehicles on the highway.
The Coonoor-Mettupalayam section was shut in 2010 due to landslides caused by heavy rains in the region. Subsequently, the National Highways Authority of India had the road re-laid which got eroded, again due to rains. In 2012, the Highways Department decided to initiate criminal proceedings against the NHAI, under Section 133 of Criminal Penal Code, dealing with acts endangering human life, due to non maintenance of the road.
The Coimbatore-Karur section is 10 meters wide, with one-meter hard way on either side with 30 km of the road is four-lanes. The Karur-Thanjavur section was upgraded on BOT basis. In 2010, the State Government sent a proposal to the centre for upgrading the Thanjavur-Nagapattinam section of the highway. An Eastern bypass road project from Sulur to Mettupalayam in Coimbatore connecting NH-67 with NH-67, again bypassing with Coimbatore cityis being planned.
NH 67 Charring Cross junction in Ooty
- "National Highways and their lengths". Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India. National Highways Authority of India. Retrieved 2009-02-12.
- NHAI website
- "Traffic resumes on Mettupalayam-Coonoor Road". Coimbatore: The Hindu. 2010-01-15. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Thiagarajan, Shantha (2010-10-20). "Rs 6 crore down the drain, Ooty highways is a gaping hole now". Chennai: The Times of India. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- D., Radhakrishnan (2012-03-27). "Criminal proceedings likely against NHAI". Udhagamandalam: The Hindu. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- "Widening of Coimbatore-Karur highway begins". Tirupur: The Hindu. 2006-10-30. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Rinfra completes four-laning Trichy-Dindigul". Mumbai: The Hindu. 2011-01-11. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "Reliance Infrastructure - Roads". Reliance Infrastructure. Retrieved 18 May 2012. Check date values in:
- "Madhucon bags Rs 1,500-cr highway project". Hyderabad: The Hindu. 2010-03-21. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- Staff Reporter (2012-05-14). "Strengthening of 80-km stretch on NH awaits Centre's approval". Tamil Nadu: The Hindu. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "NHAI cancels Rs 535cr project for 4-lane road in Coimbatore - The Times of India". The Times Of India.