The NIE Number is issued by the National Police of Spain and in accordance to Spanish law is required for the purchase or sale of an real estate, vehicle, or boat within Spain. There are many other transactions thather itself, along with a stamp and signature provided by the National Police.
Although largely ignored by the vast majority of foreigners up until the year 2005, the "National Tax Identification" number of Spain has been a requirement for all individuals conducting any type of business within Spain that involves purchasing or selling any items. The Spanish government have linked the NIE Number to various other departments such as the Social Security and residence (e.g. including the NIE Number on the tarjeta de residencia - residence card).
- "NIE Numbers". www.rdtabogados.co.uk. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- "Documentación, Nº de Identificación (NIE) y Extranjeros Indocumentados". www.policia.es. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- "Expedición y vigencia del certificado de registro y de la tarjeta de residencia". www.policia.es. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- FAQ on who needs an NIE Number - NIE Number Direct, July 7, 2007
- Ministry of the Interior of Spain - The government body responsible for NIE Number application processing
- Policía Nacional de España - The National Police of Spain