|Type||Not-for-profit company limited by shares|
|Purpose/focus||Research and education network|
NORDUnet interconnects the Nordic national research and education networks and connects them to the worldwide network for research and education and to the general purpose Internet. NORDUnet provides its services by a combination of leased lines and Internet services provided by other international operators. NORDUnet has peering in multiple important internet exchange sites outside the Nordics, such as Amsterdam, Chicago, Frankfurt, London, Miami and New York.
In addition to the basic Internet service NORDUnet operates information services and provides USENET NetNews and Multicast connectivity to the Nordic national networks. NORDUnet also coordinates the national networks' Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) activities and the Nordic national networks' IPv6 activities - an area where NORDUnet has been active for years.
NORDUnet is the result of the NORDUNET programme (1986 to 1992) financed by the Nordic Council of Ministers, officially beginning operations 1989. It was the first european network to embrace the TCP/IP technology, and has been called the driving force of bringing the TCP/IP based backbone technology to Europe.
NORDUnet has only few permanent employees. Most of the work is contracted to appropriate organisations in the Nordic area.
- Peter Villemoes. "NORDUnet - A succesful collaboration". NORDUnet. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- "NORDUnet - Contacting NORDUnet". NORDUnet. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- "The NORDUnet IP and MPLS network". NORDUnet. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- Bill St. Arnaud (2012-01-26). "NORDUnet's Brilliant Internet Peering Strategy". CircleID. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- "NORDUNET TRANSFORMS IP INFRASTRUCTURE WITH JUNIPER NETWORKS SOLUTIONS". Juniper Networks. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- "Internet2, NORDUnet, ESnet, SURFnet, CANARIE, and GÉANT To Build World’s First 100G Intercontinental Transmission Links For Research and Education Community". GRNET. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- Rolf Nordhagen. "NORDUNET: THE ROOTS OF NORDIC NETWORKING". Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- Howard Davies, Beatrice Bressan (2010). A History of International Research Networking: The People who Made it Happen. John Wiley & Sons.
- Kaarina Lehtisalo (2005). "The History of NORDUnet. Twenty-Five Years of Networking Cooperation in the Nordic Countries". Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- Robin Wauters. "25 Years Later, First Registered Domain Name Changes Hands". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2014-03-08.