Cases warming up for Sporting Gijón
|Full name||Ignacio Cases Mora|
|Date of birth||22 December 1987|
|Place of birth||Gijón, Spain|
|Height||1.74 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11 January 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
A product of Sporting de Gijón's prolific youth academy, Mareo, Cases made it to the B-team during the 2005–06 season, with the club playing in the fourth division. Although he proved instrumental in helping it achieve a promotion to the third level two years later, he struggled for a place in the starting line-ups in the following years.
A skilled midfielder, it was not until the 2010–11 campaign, at the age of 23 years – and acting as captain with the reserves – that Cases was finally given his chance to make his first-team debut, starting in a 1–1 away draw against Racing de Santander on 9 January 2011. On 2 April he assisted Miguel de las Cuevas in the 79th minute of a 1–0 win over Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, thus ending José Mourinho's nine-year unbeaten home league record. He finished his first season as a professional with 18 La Liga appearances, in an eventual escape from relegation.
- El último canterano de su generación (The last canterano of his generation); El Comercio, 7 January 2011 (Spanish)
- 'Nos vamos a salvar', afirma Cases ('We will not be relegated', says Cases); El Comercio, 10 January 2011 (Spanish)
- Real suffer Sporting shock; Sky Sports, 2 April 2011
- Sporting Gijón official profile (Spanish)
- BDFutbol profile
- Futbolme profile (Spanish)
- Soccerway profile