History of Nadcap
The Nadcap program is administered by the Performance Review Institute (PRI). Nadcap was established in 1990 by SAE International. Nadcap's membership consists of "Prime Contractors" who coordinate with aerospace accredited Suppliers to develop industry-wide audit criteria for special processes and products. Through PRI, Nadcap provides independent certification of manufacturing processes for the industry. PRI has its headquarters in Warrendale, Pennsylvania with branch offices for Nadcap located in London, Beijing, and Nagoya.
Fields of Nadcap activities
The Nadcap program provides accreditation for special processes in the aerospace and defense industry.
- Aerospace Quality Systems (AQS)
- Chemical Processing (CP)
- Coatings (CT)
- Composite materials (COMP)
- Conventional Machining as a Special Process (CMSP)
- Elastomer Seals (SEAL)
- Electronics (ETG)
- Fluid Distribution Systems (FLU)
- Heat Treating (HT)
- Materials Testing Laboratories (MTL)
- Measurement and Inspection (M&I)
- Nonconventional Machining and Surface Enhancement (NMSE)
- Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
- Non Metallic Materials Manufacturing (NMMM)
- Non Metallic Materials Testing (NMMT)
- Sealants (SLT)
- Welding (WLD)
The Nadcap program and industry
PRI schedules an audit and assigns an industry approved auditor who will conduct the audit using an industry agreed checklist. At the end of the audit, any non-conformity issues will be raised through a non-conformance report. PRI will administer and close out the non-conformance reports with the Supplier. Upon completion PRI will present the audit pack to a 'special process Task Group’ made up of members from industry who will review it and vote on its acceptability for approval.
The Nadcap Subscribers include:
- 309th Maintenance Wing-Hill AFB
- Air Force
- Alenia Aermacchi S.p.A
- Avio S.p.A
- BAE Systems Military Air & Information (MAI)
- BAE Systems
- Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corporation
- Beechcraft Corporation
- The Boeing Company
- Bombardier Inc.
- Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA)
- EADS Corporation - Aerolia
- EADS Corporation - Airbus
- EADS Corporation - Astrium
- EADS Corporation - Cassidian
- EADS Corporation - EADS-CASA
- EADS Corporation - Eurocopter
- EADS Corporation - Premium Aerotec
- EADS Corporation - SOGERMA
- Eaton Aerospace
- Embraer S.A.
- GKN AEROSPACE ENGINE SYSTEMS
- GE Aviation
- General Dynamics Corporation
- Heroux-Devtek Inc.
- Honeywell Aerospace
- Israel Aerospace Industries
- Liebherr-Aerospace SAS
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- M7 Aerospace
- MTU Aero Engines GmbH
- Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Parker Aerospace Group
- Raytheon Company
- Rockwell Collins Inc.
- Rolls-Royce Corporation
- Rolls-Royce Plc
- Safran Group
- Spirit AeroSystems
- Textron Inc. - Bell Helicopter
- Textron Inc. - Cessna Aircraft Company
- Textron Inc. - Textron Systems
- Thales Global Services SAS (TGS)
- Triumph Group Inc.
- United Technologies Corporation - Goodrich (UTAS)
- United Technologies Corporation - Hamilton Sundstrand (UTAS)
- United Technologies Corporation - Pratt & Whitney
- United Technologies Corporation - Pratt & Whitney Canada
- United Technologies Corporation - Sikorsky Aircraft
Nadcap meetings are held several times a year in different locations worldwide. For example, the 2012 meetings were held in San Diego (California, USA) in February; Berlin (Germany) in June; the October meeting was held in Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania). During these meetings there are open Task Group meetings and other workshops (with participation of Primes, Suppliers, and PRI staff). These meetings are used to discuss the program development and changes to audit criteria among other topics. Agendas and minutes are posted on the PRI website.
During the Nadcap meetings, free training classes are provided by eQuaLearn on different topics such as:
- Root Cause Corrective Action - RCCA
- Special processes, such as, NDT, chemical processing, etc.
- Internal audits
- AS/EN/JISQ 9100
- Problem Solving Tools
- Nadcap Audit Preparation – Chemical Processing
- Nadcap Audit Preparation – Heat Treating
- Nadcap Audit Preparation – Metallic Material Testing Laboratories
- Nadcap Audit Preparation – Non-Destructive Testing
- Nadcap Audit Preparation – Welding
Separate from the Nadcap meeting, eQuaLearn provides training around the world designed to support Suppliers achieve their Nadcap accreditation.
Nadcap Merit Status
Suppliers who consistently demonstrate their commitment to quality by satisfying their customer requirements and industry specifications are awarded the Nadcap Merit Status. The Supplier Merit Program allows Suppliers to undergo reaccreditation audits of a reduced scope and/or extended frequency as determined by the applicable Task Group. If awarded Merit Status, a Supplier’s reaccreditation audit frequency will increase from 12 months to 18, then possibly 24 months.
- Nadcap official site