Abdou playing for Millwall in 2012
|Full name||Nadjim Abdou|
|Date of birth||13 July 1984|
|Place of birth||Martigues, France|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15:06 7 May 2015 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Nadjim Abdou (born 13 July 1984) is a footballer who plays for Millwall as a midfielder and right back. He previously played for Martigues, Sedan and Plymouth Argyle. He has represented Comoros at international level.
Early career in France
Born in Martigues, Bouches-du-Rhône, Abdou started out with his home-town club Martigues in 2002, before joining Sedan in 2003, where, after three seasons in Ligue 2, he played one season in Ligue 1 in 2006–07. Sedan finished in 19th place and were relegated.
After a trial in the summer of 2007, "Jimmy" Abdou joined English Football League Championship club Plymouth Argyle signing on a free transfer on 20 August until the end of the 2007–08 season. He made his first league appearance on 25 August as a 62nd minute substitute in a 3–2 defeat at Barnsley. He scored his first goal in English football against Scunthorpe United in a 3–0 win at Home Park on 1 December 2007. After contract discussions in April 2008, Abdou left Plymouth in June 2008 after turning down the club's contract offer and signed for Millwall on 3 July 2008.
Abdou's signature has turned out to be something of a coup for manager Kenny Jackett. In spite of one or two short term injuries, Abdou has been successful at Millwall, holding down a regular first team slot in central midfield when fit.
Abdou scored the winning goal in the League One Playoff Semi-finals against Leeds United at Elland Road on 14 May 2009 to send them to Wembley for their first ever playoff final, which they lost 3–2 to Scunthorpe United. After missing out on promotion during the 2008–09 season, Abdou helped play a big part in earning Millwall promotion the following season. He scored in Millwall's first game of the season against Southampton, with a header, it turned out to be his only goal of the season. Millwall were eventually promoted after beating Swindon Town in the play-off final.
In April 2012, Abdou was named as the club's Player of the Year for the 2011–12 season after a vote by Millwall's supporters. "I would like to thank all the fans who voted for me, and my team mates as well because this is a team game," he said after hearing of the award.
Abdou earned his first call up to the Comoros national football team for an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Mozambique on 9 October 2010. He played the full match, which Comoros lost 1–0 after conceding a goal in stoppage time.
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Continental||Other||Total|
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Mainstream Publishing. p. 13. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "Profiles – Nadjim Abdou". Plymouth Argyle F.C. Retrieved 19 June 2008.
- "Jimmy Joins". Plymouth Argyle F.C. 21 August 2007. Retrieved 19 June 2008.
- "Barnsley 3 Plymouth 2". Soccerbase. Retrieved 19 June 2008.
- "Plymouth 3 Scunthorpe 0". Soccerbase. Retrieved 19 June 2008.
- "Plymouth quartet in talks – Sturrock expects decision this week". Sky Sports. 29 April 2008. Retrieved 19 June 2008.
- Burton, Chris (10 June 2008). "Nadjim Abdou has snubbed the offer of a new contract at Championship side Plymouth". Sky Sports. Retrieved 19 June 2008.
- "Vive la France". Millwall F.C. 19 April 2012. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Comoros vs. Mozambique 0–1". Soccerway. Global Sports Media. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- "Nadjim Abdou statistics". National football teams. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Nadjim stats". Soccerbase. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- Nadjim Abdou profile at Millwall F.C.
- Nadjim Abdou – FIFA competition record
- Nadjim Abdou at National-Football-Teams.com
- Nadjim Abdou career statistics at Soccerbase
- Nadjim Abdou at L'Équipe