Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed
|Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed|
|Occupation||Author, Journalist, Scholar; environment writer, The Guardian|
Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed is an environment writer for The Guardian, where he tracks the geopolitics of environmental, energy and economic crises via his Guardian hosted blog, Earth Insight. He is also Executive Director of the Institute for Policy Research and Development (IPRD), an independent think tank focused on the study of violent conflict in the context of global ecological, energy and economic crises. A bestselling author, scholar and investigative journalist on international security issues specialising in the systemic causes of mass violence, he has taught at the Department of International Relations, University of Sussex, and has lectured at Brunel University’s Politics & History Unit at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, for courses in international relations theory, contemporary history, empire and globalization.
Ahmed was awarded an M.A. in Contemporary War & Peace Studies and a PhD in International Relations from the School of Global Studies at Sussex University. His doctoral thesis investigated the radicalization processes and dynamics of violent conflict (including mass violence and genocide) in the context of modern imperial social systems. He specifically focuses on the European Atlantic empires and Western counterinsurgency efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. He has also published widely on international terrorism and the ‘War on Terror’, focusing on the material infrastructure of Islamist terrorist networks and the energy geopolitics of US and Western foreign policy strategies. His current research focuses on the radicalization of violent conflicts in strategic regions in the context of systemic ecological, economic and energy crises rooted in the structure of the global political economy. This is exemplified in his latest book, 'A User’s Guide to the Crisis of Civilization: and How to Save It' (Pluto, Macmillan, 2010).
Ahmed has written for the Independent on Sunday, Prospect Magazine, Le Monde diplomatique, International Affairs (Chatham House), New Internationalist, Muslim News, Raw Story, New Criminologist, Daily News Egypt, Pakistan Observer, and Tehran Times; and appeared as an expert commentator for BBC News 24, BBC World News with George Alagiah, BBC Radio Five Live, BBC World Today, BBC Asian Network, Channel 4, Sky News, C-SPAN Book TV, CNN, FOX News, Bloomberg, PBS Foreign Exchange, Al-Jazeera English, Press TV, Islam Channel and hundreds of other radio and TV shows in the USA, UK, and Europe. He is also cited and reviewed in the Sunday Times, Times Higher Educational Supplement, The Independent, The Observer, Big Issue Magazine, Vanity Fair, New York Observer, among others, as well as dozens of peer-reviewed social science journals. He comments regularly for popular online newsmagazines such as ZNet, Counterpunch, AlterNet, Op Ed News, Atlantic Free Press, Ceasefire Magazine, Dissident Voice and New Left Project. Dr. Ahmed is also currently a partner contributor for editorials & analysis at former FBI translator Sibel Edmond’s The Boiling Frogs Post and contributing editor at the Journal for Public Intelligence founded by Robert D. Steele, former Deputy Director of the US Army’s Marine Corps Intelligence Command.
The Crisis of Civilization
Following the release of Ahmed's 2010 book, 'A User's Guide to the Crisis of Civilization: And How to Save It', a chance meeting with filmmaker Dean Puckett led to the development of a feature documentary entitled 'The Crisis of Civilization'.
The Crisis of Civilization has been received positively by viewers. Hitcham Yezza, editor of Ceasefire Magazine, found "the film’s aesthetic delightful, the result of film-maker Dean Puckett and animator Lucca Benney’s artful concoction of clips from 40s commercials, B-movies, quirky animation, and more familiar images of Bush, Bin Laden and Brzezinski." He also wrote, "this film is necessary viewing, not just for activists but for anyone who’s planning to hang around this planet for the foreseeable future. Yes, I’m looking at you." Elsewhere, Richard Heinberg of the Post Carbon Institute said of the film, "a really fantastic overview of the global situation. I don’t think I’ve seen a more comprehensive ‘welcome to the 21st century’.” The Leeds International Film Festival selected the film as a 'Festival Favourite' calling it "a powerful critique of a failed global system and a manifesto for constructive social change".
- The War on Freedom: How and Why America was Attacked, 11 September 2001: ISBN 0-930852-40-0, 400 pages, Progressive Press, 2002.
- Behind the War on Terror : Western Secret Strategy and the Struggle for Iraq: ISBN 0-86571-506-8, 352 pages Clairview Books, 2003.
- The War on Truth: 9/11, Disinformation, and the Anatomy of Terrorism: ISBN 1-56656-596-0, 459 pages, Olive Branch Press, 2005.
- The London Bombings: An Independent Inquiry: ISBN 0-7156-3583-2, 256 pages, Duckworth, 2006.
- A User's Guide to the Crisis of Civilization: And How to Save it: ISBN 978-0-7453-3053-2 Fully indexed with 600+ references and 18 diagrams; Peer-reviewed by an interdisciplinary panel of twelve scholars and scientists, Pluto Press, 2010.
Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed:
Recorded at Imperial College: 28/11/08
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Nafeez Mosadeqq Ahmed on 'Food Crisis & Peak Oil': a talk originally recorded on 28 November 2010 at the AhlulBayt Islamic Society at Imperial College London.
"Are we running out of oil and food? Why are prices fluctuating? Are we leaving behind a catastrophic legacy for our children? Learn about how global food and energy crises will affect you over the coming years, and how the global system must change to meet our food and energy needs."
- "The International Relations of Crisis and the Crisis of International Relations: From the Securitisation of Scarcity to the Militarisation of Society", Global Change, Peace & Security (Vol. 23, No. 3, October 2011) - Winning article for 2010 Routledge-GCP&S Essay Prize
- "Colonial Dynamics of Genocide: Imperialism, Identity and Mass Violence", Journal of Conflict Transformation & Security (Vol. 1, No. 1, April 2011) pp. 8–36
- "Overcoming Paralysis on Climate Change", Survival: Global Politics & Strategy (Vol. 53, No. 1, February–March 2011) pp. 203–206
- "Water, oil and demographics: The Arab world‟s triple crisis", Europe’s World: The Only Europe-Wide Policy Journal (Vol. 17, Spring 2011) pp. 121–123
- "Globalizing Insecurity: The Convergence of Interdependent Ecological, Energy and Economic Crises", Yale Journal of International Affairs (Vol. 5, No. 2, 2010) pp. 75–90
- "India and the Crisis of Civilization: Potential Impacts of Converging Ecological, Economic and Energy Catastrophes", India Economy Review (Vol. 7, March 2010) pp. 90–97
- "The Crisis of (Post) Modernity: The De-Sacralisation of the Social, the Death of Democracy, and the Reclamation of Islamic Tradition", Arches Quarterly (Vol. 3, No. 1, Summer 2009) pp. 25–32
- "Anglo-American World Order: 30 Years After the Islamic Revolution of Iran", Islamism Digest: Journal of the Centre for the Study of Terrorism (Vol. 4, No. 2, February 2009) pp. 14–19
- "Review – Purify and destroy: the political uses of massacre and genocide, by Jacques Semelin", International Affairs (Vol. 84, No. 4, July 2008) pp. 836–837
- "Terrorism and Western Statecraft", in Paul Zarembka (ed.), The Hidden History of 9-11-2002 (New York: Seven Stories Press, 2008) pp. 143–182
- "Structural Violence as a Form of Genocide: The Impact of the International Economic Order", Entelequia. Revista Interdisciplinar [Entelechy: Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies](University of Malaga, No. 5, Fall 2007) pp. 3–41
- "Terrorism and Western Statecraft: Al-Qaeda and Western Covert Operations After the Cold War", Research in Political Economy (Emerald: Vol. 23, 2006) pp. 149–188
- "UN Humanitarian Intervention in East Timor: A Critical Appraisal", Entelequia. Revista Interdisciplinar (University of Malaga, No. 2, Fall 2006) pp. 227–244
- "The Globalization of Insecurity: How the international economic order undermines human and national security on a world scale", Historia Actual [Contemporary History] (University of Cadiz, No. 5, 2004) pp. 113–126
- "The Discourse of Empire: United States National Security Strategies Since 1945", in Ronald Thoden (ed.), Terror und Staat: Der 11 September – Hintergrunde und Folgen: Goestregie, Terror, Geheimdienste, Medien, Kriege, Folter, Edition Zeitgeschichte (Berlin: Kai Homilius Verlag, 2004)
- "State Terrorism at the Dawn of the New American Century", Afterword to William Blum [former State Department official], ll libro nero degli Stati Uniti (Rome: Fazi Editore, 2003)
- "America and the Taliban: From Co-operation to War", Global Dialogue (Vol. 4, No. 2, Spring 2002) 7
- "Distortion, Deception and Terrorism: The Bombing of Afghanistan", International Socialist Review (No. 20, November/December 2001) pp. 36–44
- "Toward a Holistic Social Model of Violent Radicalization", Submission to House of Commons Select Committee for Communities & Local Government Inquiry, Preventing Violent Extremism: Sixth Report of Session 2009-10 (London: House of Commons, March 2010) pp. Ev 123-127
- "The Iran Threat: An Assessment of the Middle East Nuclear Stalemate", (London and Versonnex: Institute for Policy Research & Development and Transcend Research Institute, August 2008)
- "Inside the Crevice: Islamist terror networks and the 7/7 intelligence failure", Parliamentary Briefing Paper (London: Institute for Policy Research & Development, August 2007)· Foreword by Detective Superintendent (ret.) Des Thomas, former Deputy Head of CID, Hampshire; report launch event co-sponsored by Baroness Helena Kennedy QC and Garden Court Chambers
- "Afghanistan, the Taliban and the United States: The Role of Human Rights in Western Foreign Policy", (Phoenix, Arizona: Institute for Afghan Studies, January 2001)
- "The Impending Abyss: A Comprehensive Assessment of the Past and Future Trajectory of the Israel-Palestine Conflict", The Global Site, (Brighton: University of Sussex, July 2002)
- Co-authored with Faisal Bodi, Reza Kazim and Massoud Shadjareh, The Oldham Riots: Discrimination, Deprivation and Communal Tension in the United Kingdom, (London: Islamic Human Rights Commission, June 2001)
- Suppressing Dissent: The Crackdown on Muslims in Zanzibar (London: Islamic Human Rights Commission, May–June 2001)
- The Killing in Kashmir and the Terrorism Act 2000 (London: Islamic Human Rights Commission, December 2000)
- Islamophobia in Papua New Guinea (London: Islamic Human Rights Commission, November 2000)
- Palestine Briefing for MPs: Part 1 (London: Islamic Human Rights Commission, November 2000)
- Routing Out the Opposition: The Comprehensive Repression of Human Rights in Turkish Society (London: Islamic Human Rights Commission, October 2000)· Report launched by celebrated former Turkish Member of Parliament Professor Merve Kavacki, George Washington University (London: Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, November 2000)
- Algeria and the Paradox of Democracy: The 1992 Coup, its Consequences and the Contemporary Crisis (Berlin: Algeria Watch, November 2000)
- The Smashing of Chechnya – An International Irrelevance: A Case Study of the Role of Human Rights in Western Foreign Policy (London: Islamic Human Rights Commission, April 1999)
- Portfolio of Ahmed's journalistic writings at Journalisted, Media Standards Trust, http://journalisted.com/nafeez-mosaddeq-ahmed
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Diversity does not breed terrorists – politics does", The Independent, 6 February 2006
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Bush's macabre dance of death with bin Laden", The Independent, 10 September 2006
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Hitchens Has No Clothes: A response to ‘Vidal Loco’", The Independent, 7 February 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Avoiding Catastrophe", The Independent, 24 November 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Pakistan’s double game", Prospect Magazine, 2 August 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Sliding toward climate catastrophe", Le Monde diplomatique, September 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Our terrorists", New Internationalist, October 2009
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Arming the enemy? Fact and fiction in the liquid bomb plot", Muslim News, Issue 233, Friday 26 September 2008
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Calibrating fear: The liquid bomb plot and the long war", Muslim News, Issue 245, Friday 25 September 2009
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Caught red-handed: British Undercover Operatives in Iraq", Raw Story, 23 September 2005
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Sources: August terror plot is a 'fiction' underscoring police failures", Muslim News, 18 September 2006
- Ahmed, Nafeez "British Army Expert Casts Doubt on 'Liquid Explosives' Threat, Al Qaeda Network in UK Identified: Why Does the Government Refuse to Act?", New Criminologist, 17 September 2006
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Sliding toward climate catastrophe", The Daily News Egypt, 6 September 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Great transition beyond carbon", The Pakistan Observer, October 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "What the Pakistan Floods Mean for the ‘War on Terror’ And why military solutions are bringing their own defeat", The Tehran Times, 4 September 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "A Crisis of Civilization?", BBC World News with George Alagiah, 13 August 2010
- "The War on Truth: 9/11, Disinformation, and the Anatomy of Terrorism", C-SPAN Book TV, 23 July 2005
- "Epilogue reviews "A User's Guide to the Crisis of Civilization" by Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed", Press TV, 5 January 2010
- "The Real Deal with George Galloway: Feat Dr. Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed ", Press TV, September 2010
- "Book Review", The Observer, 1 January 2011
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Armageddon on the Horizon?", ZNet, 23 January 2006
- Ahmed, Nafeez "The Great Unravelling: Tunisia, Egypt and the protracted collapse of the American empire", ZNet, 2 February 2011
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Occupy Planet Earth: Resisting the Militarisation of State Power", Counterpunch, WEEKEND EDITION DECEMBER 2-4, 2011
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Burning Britain: Riot Fever as a Symptom of Systemic Failure", Counterpunch, 20 August 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Is the Gaza Catastrophe Really About Natural Resources?", AlterNet, 8 January 2009
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Wikileaks' Cables Suggests that Oil Motivates U.S. Policy More than Fighting Terrorists", AlterNet, 16 December 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "EU-Russia Gas Crisis in Retrospective: Prelude to Resource Wars", OpEdNews, 9 February 2009
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Torture, Rendition, Terror & Oil: A Primer on "Deep Politics"", OpEdNews, 11 February 2009
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Bin Laden - Dead or Alive? Threats, Lies and Videotapes", OpEdNews, 26 January 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Neocons: They Live", OpEdNews, 12 February 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "The Iran Threat? ... more of the same", OpEdNews, 22 February 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "The End of Capitalism? Not quite, but nearly....", OpEdNews, 6 January 2009
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Gaza Catastrophe: Resource Conflict? Natural Gas, Palestinian Elections, and Israel's Subversion of the 'Peace Process'", OpEdNews, 7 January 2009
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Election Saturation", OpEdNews, 30 April 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Well and Truly Hung: Fiscal Foolishness and Crisis Convergence", OpEdNews, 11 May 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Coalition of the Willing - The "New Politics" of Cameron and Clegg, and Our Responsibility", OpEdNews, 12 May 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "The Flotilla Massacre - Israeli Commandos Fired Unprovoked Into Sleeping Civilians: Eyewitnesses", OpEdNews, 31 May 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "McChrystal Falls: Another Casualty of a War We're Losing", OpEdNews, 25 June 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "7/7, Terror and Torture: Protecting the Deep State", OpEdNews, 7 July 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Peak Coal Has Arrived", OpEdNews, 10 August 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "The Real ClimateGate, Part 1: Getting over the non-existent 'climate email' fiasco", OpEdNews, 30 September 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "The Real ClimateGate, Part 2: Why the IPCC stands stronger than ever", OpEdNews, 1 October 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "The Great Unravelling: Tunisia, Egypt and the Protracted Collapse of the American Empire", OpEdNews, 1 February 2011
- Ahmed, Nafeez "The End of the World As We Know It? The rise of the post-carbon era", Ceasefire Magazine, 20 September 2010
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Whose Bombs?", Dissident Voice, 11 July 2007
- Ahmed, Nafeez "More Pontification, More Propaganda on Iraq: Dissecting the Disinformation on Western Secret Strategy in the New Middle East Wars", Dissident Voice, 5 November 2007
- Ahmed, Nafeez "The Hidden Holocaust: Our Civilizational Crisis - Part 2: Exporting Democracy", Dissident Voice, 10 December 2007
- Ahmed, Nafeez "42 Days: Creeping Internment in the UK", Dissident Voice, 16 June 2008
- Ahmed, Nafeez "The Iraqi Holocaust: 90 Years of Imperial Genocide", New Left Project, 15 December 2007
- Ahmed, Nafeez "Understanding Islamaphobia", New Left Project, 14 September 2010
- "The Boiling Frogs Post "
- "Journal for Public Intelligence"
- "The Crisis of Civilization"
- "Review: The Crisis of Civilization", Ceasefire Magazine, 28 November 2011
- "Review: The Crisis of Civilization", Leeds International Film Festival, November 2011
- "UK Indymedia"
- iprd.org.uk The Institute for Policy Research & Development (IPRD)
- The Cutting Edge Nafeez Ahmed's personal blog
- crisisofcivilization.com Official website of the documentary film featuring Dr. Nafeez Ahmed.