Nagathihalli, Mandya district, Karnataka
|Occupation||Film director, producer and screenwriter|
Nagathihalli Chandrashekhar (Kannada: ನಾಗತಿಹಳ್ಳಿ ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರ್) is an Indian director, actor, screen writer and a lyricist who predominantly works in Kannada Cinema. He made his film debut as a screenplay writer in Kadina Benki (1986) which won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film and the Karnataka State Award. His directorial debut was Undu Hoda Kondu Hoda (1991) for which he won the Karnataka State Film Award for Best Story.
Three of his films, Kotreshi Kanasu (1994), America America (1995) and Hoomale (1996) won National Film Awards and his other film Amrithadhare (2005) won him a Filmfare Award. Also known as Chandru, he has directed approximately fifteen Kannada movies and ten television serials. He is also the author of novels and short stories and is a columnist in Kannada weekly Hai Bangalore. He has also served as a University Professor in Kannada language and is affectionately known as Meshtru ("Teacher").
Chandrashekhar was born in a Kannada-speaking family in Nagathihalli, a village in Mandya district of Karnataka. He was always interested in Kannada language, Kannada literature and Art. He was Kannada Language Professor while he was doing cinemas, later he continued to be full-time Director.
Chandrashekhar has done his Post Graduation (Master of Arts) in Kannada literature from the Mysore University. He was a recipient of 8 gold medals and 2 cash awards during his postgraduate education. He was working in KMF Milk Dairy while pursuing Post Graduation.
Chandrashekhar is married to CS Shobha. They have two daughters, Sihi (Sweet) and Kanasu (Dream).
- Nanna Preetiya Huduganige
- Malenadina hudugi, Bayaluseemeya huduga
- Baa Nalle Madhuchandrake
- Chukki Chandramara Naadinalli
- Prema Katha Samputa
- Valase Hakkiya Haadu
- America! America!!
|1986||Kadina Benki||Written Screenplay, Dialogues and Lyrics|
|1988||Sankranthi||Written Story and Lyrics|
|1989||Prathama Usha Kirana||Written Screenplay, Dialogues and Lyrics|
|1990||Udhbhava||Written Screenplay, Dialogues and Lyrics|
|1992||Undu Hoda Kondu Hoda||Karnataka State Film Award for Best Story|
|1993||Baa Nalle Madhuchandrake|
|1994||Kotreshi Kanasu||National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Kannada|
|1995||Urvashi||Screenplay and Lyrics only|
|1995||America America||National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Kannada|
|1998||Hoomale||National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Kannada|
|2001||Nanna Preethiya Hudugi||Filmfare Award for Best Director|
|2005||Amrithadhare||Karnataka State Film Award for Best Film|
|2007||Maathaad Maathaadu Mallige||Karnataka State Film Award for Best Film
Screened in Cannes Film Festival
|2009||Olave Jeevana Lekkachaara|
- Directed telefilm on Suggi (Harvest festival) – Telecasted in Bangalore TV station in 1991
- Directed telefilm "Karunalu Baa Belake" – On Buddha's life and message, telecasted in Bangalore TV station in 1992
- Directed telefilm "Avalokana" – Telecasted in Bangalore TV station in 1995
- Directed telefilm "Kavya Saurabha" – Telecasted in Bangalore TV station in 1995
- Screenplay and Dialogues for the teleserials "Kaveri", "Vayyaari", "Aranyadallondu Aragini", "Raaga Lahari"
Mega serials that were telecasted in Udaya TV
- Olave Namma Baduku
- Karnataka State Award in 1988 for Sankranthi
- Berkeley Tarangini Award in 1988 for the story of Sankranthi
- Karnataka State Award in 1991 for the story of Undu Hoda Kondu Hoda
- Aryabhata Literature Award in 1995 for the novel Valase hakkiya haadu
- America America—Best film of the year—Karnataka State film awards
- America America—National Award as best regional film
- Hoomale—Won National Award for the Best Film in Regional Category
- Nagathihalli Chandrashekhar | Kannada Film Maker | Personalities
- Vokkaligara Sangha Bangalore | Kempegowda | Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science | VV Pura Arts and Commerce College | VV Pura science College | Vokkaligara Sangha Dental C...
- Film-maker Nagathihalli Chandrashekar's birthday celebrations – Entertainment – DNA
- Nagathihalli Chandrashekhar :: Inside Main Frame