Nagpur–Aurangabad–Mumbai express highway
|Length:||700 km (400 mi)|
(Intended from: Nagpur, MH)
(Intended to: Mumbai, MH)
|States:||Maharashtra : 700 km
(1. Vidarbha : 400 km
2. Marathwada : 160 km
3. Rest of Maharashtra : 140 km)
|Nagpur - Aurangabad
Other Major Destinations :
Express Highway, based on the govt approval and the formal announcement by state govt authorities, this highway is a project connecting two major cities Nagpur & Aurangabad in Maharashtra to the capital city of Mumbai via the same link-route and in less than the distance covered by the NH 6. The new road theoretically saves 65 km distance between the two cities and the travel time of nearly one-and-half hours. Though said so, ironically, if developed with 4 lane basis, as declared earlier by the State Public Works Dept., this highway can save more than 8 hrs of time between Nagpur and Mumbai, as compared to NH 6.
Though approved on 23 Dec, 1999, its major development started in late 2002 and it is now completed almost 60%, by the end of 2011. The Aurangabad - Mumbai sector is already started with full flow of traffic, while the Nagpur - Aurangabad sector is still under construction and expected to be completed soon (by the end of 2015 ). It is expected to share the major direct road traffic between these cities, including almost 30%-40% of traffic from NH 6.
Importance of the Project
IMPORTANCE OF THE PROJECT.
- The length passes through backward regions of Vidarbha and Marathwada.
- The distance from Mumbai to Nagpur will be reduced by 50 km.
- It will reduce travel time considerably and will be cost effective.
- It connects Industrial places at Butibori, Wardha, Amravati, Jalna, Chikalthana, Shendra, Waluj and Sinnar.
- It connects Tourist places such as Sewagram, Karanja (Lad), Lonar, Sindkhedraja, Verul and Shirdi.
- It will boost employment through development of Industries in backward regions.
Built and Development
Though this is a state highway, but it is built on the National Highway basis. For the list of the other Major and National Highways in India, click here and for the list of the other Major and National Highways in Maharashtra State click here.
The Highway is 80% completed throughout and the remaining work is supposed to be done by the end of 2009. Maharashtra govt is trying to operate this highway through a private party for over 30 years to recover the cost of this highway.
Major Cities Bypassed
This highway bypasses the other major cities in Maharashtra state, on NH 6 and on NH 3, though it passes through their districts areas. It directly connects Wardha to Jalna, via Pulgaon & Karanja Lad.
The Major cities bypassed (not on this highway) ..
Passing through Districts Areas
This Highway passes through almost 12 districts of Maharashtra which are ..
- Nagpur District
- Wardha District
- Amravati District
- Yavatmal District
- Washim District
- Buldana District
- Jalna District
- Aurangabad District
- Ahmadnagar District
- Nasik District
- Thane District and
- Mumbai Central (including, both Mumbai City & Mumbai Suburban districts)
Covered Regions and Area
The total length of this highway is 700 km (430 Miles), from Nagpur to Mumbai, excluding the portions of NH 7 and NH 3 it covers at Nagpur-Butibori and Ghoti-Kalyan-Mumbai sectors respectively. This highway also covers the part portions of the Maharashtra State Highways at certain areas, which are now being rebuilt with National Highway Standards.
This highway roughly covers the regions in Maharashtra as,
- Vidarbha : 400 km,
- Marathwada : 160 km and
- Rest of Maharashtra : 140 km
Its major route is as follows:
– Vaijapur – Sawantsar – Pun-tamba – Zagade – Sinnar – Ghoti – Kalyan (via NH 3) – Mumbai
Nagpur–Aurangabad–Mumbai express highway is a Maharashtra State Highway (MSH), as its area lies entirely in the state of Maharashtra, but built on the National Highway standards. There is a link to this route from Karanja–Loni–Nagzari corridor to Amravati:
- At Nagpur with NH 7 connecting Varanasi - Jabalpur - Nagpur - Hyderabad - Bangalore - Kanyakumari
- At Nagpur with NH 69 connecting Nagpur - Betul - Obedullaganj near Bhopal
- At Nagpur with NH 6 connecting Hajira, Gujrat - Surat - Dhule - Amravati - Nagpur - Raipur - Sambalpur - Kolkata
- From Nagpur to Butibori via NH 7
- From Butobori to Wardha via Maharashtra State Highway 3 / NH 204 connecting Nagpur - Wardha - Yavatmal - Nanded - Latur - Tuljapur - Solapur - Sangli - Kolhapur - Pali - Ratnagiri
- At Aurangabad with NH 211 connecting Solapur - Aurangabad - Dhule
- At Sinnar with NH 50 connecting Pune - Nashik
- At Ghoti with NH 3 connecting Agra - Indore - Dhule - Nashik - Kalyan - Mumbai
- Continues to Kalyan & Mumbai via NH 3
- This highway covers the portions of -
- This highway bypasses the other major cities on NH 6 and connects 3 major cities in Maharashtra - Mumbai to Nagpur via Aurangabad.
- List of National Highways in India (by Highway Number)
- List of State Highways in Maharashtra
- Golden Quadrilateral Project
- Chittaranjan Tembhekar, TNN, Dec 30, 2008, 04.15am IST (2008-12-30). "One one bid for Mumbai-Nagpur highway - The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Mumbai-Aurangabad-Nagpur Project -Official Website". Msrdc.org. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC)-Official Website
- "Mumbai-Nagpur highway gets only one taker". Projectstoday.com. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Mumbai Aurangabad". Msrdc.org. Retrieved 2010-12-10.