October 5, 1984 |
|Origin||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.|
Adedapo was born in Maywood, Illinois, and her family moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, when she was ten. Adedapo is the daughter of Milwaukee area jazz singer Adekola Adedapo. Adedapo graduated high school from St. Joan Antida. Her senior year, Adedapo placed first at the Wisconsin Forensic Coaches Association's State Tournament in Demonstration Speaking for her speech on African dance, with drumming accompaniment by her brother. She later majored in Dance at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Adedapo participated on Making The Band but was immediately eliminated by Diddy during dancing rehearsals because she was dancing in the back row.
Adedapo auditioned for the tenth season of American Idol in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She was not one the five female vote-getters in the semi-final round to advance to the Top 13. She was one of the six selected to sing for a wild card. The judges chose three of the six, including Adedapo, to advance to the Top 13. On March 31, 2011, Adedapo and Thia Megia were eliminated from American Idol.
|Episode||Theme||Song choice||Original artist||Order #||Result|
||"For All We Know"||Hal Kemp||N/A||Advanced|
|Hollywood Round, Part 1||First Solo||Unaired||Unaired||N/A||Advanced|
|Hollywood Round, Part 2||Group Performance||"Get Ready"||The Temptations||N/A||Advanced|
|Hollywood Round, Part 3||Second Solo||Unaired||Unaired||N/A||Advanced|
|Las Vegas Round||Songs of The Beatles
|"The Long and Winding Road"||The Beatles||N/A||Advanced|
|Hollywood Round Final||Final Solo||"Put Your Records On"||Corinne Bailey Rae||N/A||Advanced|
|Top 24 (12 Women)||Personal Choice||"Summertime"||Abbie Mitchell||2||Wild Card|
|Wild Card||Personal Choice||"For All We Know"||Hal Kemp||5||Selected|
|Top 13||Your Personal Idol||"Umbrella"||Rihanna||13||Safe|
|Top 12||Year You Were Born||"What's Love Got to Do with It"||Tina Turner||1||Bottom 31|
|Top 11||Motown||"Dancing in the Street"||Martha and the Vandellas||10||Safe|
|Top 112||Elton John||"I'm Still Standing"||Elton John||2||Eliminated|
- ^Note 1 Adedapo was saved first from elimination.
- ^Note 2 Due to the judges using their one save to save Casey Abrams, the Top 11 remained intact for another week.
Adedapo and the rest of the top 11 performed in the 2011 American Idols LIVE! Tour, which began in West Valley City, Utah, on July 6, 2011, and ended in Manila, Philippines on September 20, 2011. Both the eliminated contestants, Naima and Thia Megia, appeared and performed on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Live with Regis and Kelly.
Adedapo is a dancer with Ko-Thi, an Afri-centric dance company, and sings with her husband in R.A.S. Movement, a reggae and world beat band. She also taught a step drill team at an elementary school in Milwaukee. Adedapo was one of the top 38 finalists on MTV/P.Diddy's "Making the Band". She also once had a group called Crossfit Cali Band with friends Rebecca Rose and Avis Marshall.
- ‘American Idol’ finalist Naima Adedapo a product of Chicago stage family
- Jan Uebelherr (2011-03-03). "'Idol' contestant Adedapo survives with wild card". JSOnline. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- Naima was on Making the Band. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- "American Idol" Judges Save Contestant; Fantasia to Perform on Next Results Show
- American Idol Finalists on The Tonight Show.
- Naima Adedapo's Upcoming EP and Album
- "College student jazzes up finals". Chicago Tribune. 2011-03-08. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- Duane Dudek (2011-01-26). "‘Idol’ gets cheesy with Milwaukee auditions". JSOnline. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- Tuesday, 06 April 2010 15:37 (2010-04-06). "Backyard TV and Reggae Conscious Stars, Present: “Reap What You Sow”". Thereggaevibe.com. Retrieved 2012-01-19.