Naked and Afraid
|Naked & Afraid|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||9|
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Renegade 83 Entertainment|
|Original channel||Discovery Channel|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||June 23, 2013– present|
Naked and Afraid is an American reality television series that airs on the Discovery Channel and premiered on June 23, 2013. Each episode chronicles the lives of two survivalists—a man and a woman—who meet for the first time and are given the task of surviving a stay in the wilderness naked for 21 days. After they meet in the assigned locale, the partners must find and/or produce water, food, shelter, and clothing within the environment.
The events of each couple's quest play out in a single episode. Partners strip down and meet each other. They are provided with rough cross-body satchels containing a personal diary/camera—for use when the camera crew is not there at night—and a map. They all wear identical necklaces with a center bead which is a microphone, and some personal jewelry is allowed. Each survivalist is allowed to bring one helpful item, such as a machete. Despite the hardship that the teams realized by not wearing proper footwear, none of the participants chose to bring shoes. There is a camera crew who are not allowed to intervene except for medical emergencies when it is "absolutely necessary." Cast mate Alison Teal reports that she was granted an "emergency" tampon. A team is allowed to "tap out" at any point during the 21-day challenge. If they do not tap out, they must arrive at the designated extraction point on the final day to be picked up by a helicopter or boat or other vehicle suitable to the environment. Viewers are updated throughout with statistics including how many days have passed, the time, and the temperature. Naked And Afraid computes and then updates the cast members' PSR (Primitive Survival Rating), which is based on predictions and observations of survival fitness in skill, experience, and mental strengths. Before and after weight measurements are also revealed at the end of an episode. 
Discovery Channel issued a press release which announced some Nielsen ratings milestones for the series. Naked And Afraid was the "#1 Ad-Supported program in cable among men on Sunday, July 28." They also noted that the program now shares the Discovery Channel record for the highest-rated survival telecast in the network’s history since June 2009.
On July 31, 2013, The Discovery Channel posted a casting call and a dare to "survive the 21-day challenge" via their Twitter account.
|No.||Title||Original air date||Production code||U.S. viewers
|1||"The Jungle Curse"||June 23, 2013||104||4.15|
|Shane Lewis and Kim Shelton have to survive 21 days in the Costa Rican jungle, despite a producer having survived a venomous snake bite.|
|2||"Terror in Tanzania"||June 30, 2013||101||1.70|
|Survivalists EJ Snyder and Kellie Nightlinger survive in Tanzania's Serengeti Plain, putting their skills to the ultimate test.|
|3||"Island From Hell"||July 7, 2013||102||2.16|
|Jonathan Klay and Alison Teal are marooned in the Maldives for 21 days and clash with sunburn and starvation.|
|4||"Punishment in Panama"||July 14, 2013||103||2.59|
|Clint Jivoin and Laura Zerra have to stay 21 days on a Panamanian island. Plagued with sand flies and threatened by snakes.|
|5||"Breaking Borneo"||July 21, 2013||105||3.27|
|Survivalists Puma Cabra and Julie Wright have to survive 21 days in Borneo. They battle with sickness, starvation and wildlife, and failed to complete the challenge.|
|6||"Beware the Bayou"||July 28, 2013||106||3.61|
|Billy Berger and Ky Furneaux survive 21 days in the swamps of Louisiana. They risk attack from deadly snakes and alligators, and their shelter is washed out by a storm.|
|7||"Bares All"||August 3, 2013||107||1.96|
|Recap, extra footage and commentary with the season 1 cast including their families.|
|8||"Special: Double Jeopardy"||December 8, 2013||108||2.44|
|Cassie DePecol, Forrest Galante, Manu Toigo and Russell Sage on the Panamanian coast.|
|9||"Bares All"||December 14, 2013||109|
|Recap, extra footage and commentary with the episode 8 cast, including their families.|
Brian Lowery of Variety found the series to be "typical of the genre, but it's still kind of a risible kick, if only for how seriously the show takes itself." Melissa Camacho of Common Sense Media, and David Hinckley of the New York Daily News, gave the show 3 out of 5 stars. Mike Hale of The New York Times expressed skepticism that the dangers implied by the situations faced by the couples in each episode were authentic, even by the standards of reality television, observing that the couple in the series premiere appeared to be cleaner and more shaved than he'd have expected. Hale also was not impressed with the interaction between the two participants, whose personalities he found uninteresting, stating that he found the snake bite suffered by the field producer shown in the beginning of the episode to be more riveting.
- Bonin, Liane (May 28, 2013). "Discovery reveals even more with bare pairs on 'Naked & Afraid'". HitFix. Retrieved July 6, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (May 28, 2013). "'Naked & Afraid' to Premiere Sunday, June 23 on Discovery". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 6, 2013.
- Kurp, Josh (April 7, 2013). "‘Naked And Afraid’ Star Explains How She Caught Fish With Her ‘Private Parts’". UPROXX. Retrieved July 6, 2013.
- Kaplan, Don (April 5, 2013). "Discovery Channel bares all with upcoming 'Naked' shows". Daily News. Retrieved July 6, 2013.
- "“Naked and Afraid” producer: “We didn’t develop the show to be exploitative, ever” Executive producer Denise Contis defends the premise of "Naked & Afraid"".
- "IMA:I'm Alison Teal from Discovery Channel's Naked and Afraid and Alison's Adventures — AMA;-)". Reddit.
- "Naked & Afraid review". Variety.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 30, 2013). "Discovery Channel's 'Naked and Afraid' is the #1 Ad Supported Program in Cable Among Men on Sunday July 28". TV by the Numbers (Press release).
- "Discovery Twitter". July 31, 2013. "#NakedAndAfraid is casting! If you think you'd survive the 21-day challenge, let us know here: http://Discovery.com/SurviveNaked"
- Bibel, Sara (June 25, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Skywire Live' Wins Night, 'True Blood', 'Falling Skies', 'Mad Men', 'Drop Dead Diva' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 2, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'BET Awards' Wins Night + 'True Blood', 'Dexter', 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Falling Skies' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (July 10, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings:'True Blood' Wins Night, 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Dexter', 'Falling Skies', 'Devious Maids', 'The Killing' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 16, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night + 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Sprint Cup', 'Real Housewives of NJ', 'Falling Skies' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (July 23, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night, 'Naked and Afraid', 'Falling Skies', 'Dexter', 'Devious Maids', 'The Newsroom' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 30, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night + 'Naked and Afraid', 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', NASCAR, 'Dexter' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- "Saturday's Cable Ratings: "Sam & Cat," "Haunted Hathaways" Top Viewers for Nickelodeon". August 6, 2013. The Futon Critic. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' & 'Bonnie & Clyde' Win Night, 'Naked and Afraid', 'Shahs of Sunset', 'Homeland' & More". TV by the Number. December 10, 2013. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- Lowry, Brian (June 21, 2013). "Review: “Naked & Afraid”". Variety.
- "Naked and Afraid". Common Sense Media. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- Hinckley, David (June 21, 2013). "Two strangers test out their survival skills on Discovery Channel's new reality show 'Naked and Afraid'". Daily News.
- Hale, Mike (June 21, 2013). "They Didn’t Pack Sunscreen, or Anything Else". The New York Times.