Flamingos at Lake Nakuru
Location of Nakuru County (Green)
|Formed||4 March 2013|
|• Governor||Kinuthia Mbugua|
|• Total||7,509.5 km2 (2,899.4 sq mi)|
|• Total||1,603,325 |
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Nakuru County is a county in Kenya. The capital and largest town is Nakuru, although Naivasha is another major significant urban centre. With a population of 1,603,325  (2009 census), it is the fourth largest county in Kenya after Nairobi, Kakamega and Kiambu in that order in terms of population. Nakuru County has an area of 2,325.8 km².
Sites of Interest
Nakuru County is home to Lake Nakuru and Lake Naivasha some of the Rift Valley soda lakes. Lake Nakuru is best known for its thousands, sometimes millions of flamingoes nesting along the shores. The surface of the shallow lake is often hardly recognisable due to the continually shifting mass of pink. The number of flamingoes on the lake varies with water and food conditions and the best vantage point is from Baboon cliff. Also of interest, an area of 188 km around the lake fenced off as a sanctuary to protect Rothschild giraffe and black rhinos.
Other sites of interest around Nakuru include Menengai Crater, an extinct volcano 2,490m (8,167 ft) high. The views of the crater itself, as well as the surrounding countryside, are spectacular.
The second largest surviving volcanic crater in the world, the Menengai Crater is 2,242 meters above sea level at its highest point. The crater plunges 483 m down from the rim and the summit is accessible by foot or vehicle 8 km from the main road. The mountain is also surrounded by a nature reserve.
RVIST is a tourist attraction.
Surrounding Towns and Education
Surrounding towns include Lanet, which lies approximately 10 km from Nakuru is predominantly a residential town and is home to an army base. Njoro lies 20 km from Nakuru and is a small agricultural town with a local university aimed at promoting agricultural development in Kenya, namely Egerton University (est. 1934).
|Town||Type||Population (2009)||Rank in Kenya (Population Size)|
* 2009 census. Source:
|Mau Narok||29,916||3,321||Mau Narok|
|* 1999 census. Sources: , ,|
The county has Eleven constituencies:
- Naivasha Constituency represented by Hon. John Kihagi, The National Alliance Party(TNA) a member of Jubilee Coalition
- Nakuru Town West Constituency represented by Hon. Samuel Arama, Orange Democratic Movement(ODM) a member of Cord Coalition
- Nakuru Town East Constituency represented by Hon. David Gikaria, The National Alliance Party(TNA) a member of Jubilee Coalition
- Kuresoi South Constituency Hon. Zakayo Cheruiyot, United Republican Party(URP) a member of Jubilee Coalition
- Kuresoi North Constituency Hon. Moses Cheboi, United Republican Party(URP) a member of Jubilee Coalition
- Molo Constituency represented by Hon. Jacob Waweru Macharia , The National Alliance Party(TNA) a member of Jubilee Coalition
- Rongai Constituency represented by Hon. Raymond Kipruto Moi, Kenya African National Union(KANU), a member of Amani coalition
- Subukia Constituency represented by Hon. Nelson Gachuiya, The National Alliance Party(TNA), a member of Jubilee Coalition
- Njoro Constituency represented by Hon. Joseph Nganga Tiuna, The National Alliance Party(TNA), A member of Jubilee Coalition
- Gilgil Constituency represented by Hon. Nderitu Mathenge, The National Alliance Party(TNA) a member of Jubilee Coalition
- Bahati Constituency represented by Hon. Onessmus Kimani Ngunjiri, The National Alliance Party(TNA) a member of Jubilee Coalition
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nakuru County.|
- Narok County
- Kajiado County
- Baringo County
- Laikipia County
- Kericho County
- Bomet County
- Nyandarua County
- Kiambu County