||This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (October 2009)|
|Stats||Open Game License stats|
|First appearance||Eldritch Wizardry|
In the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy roleplaying game, the nalfeshnee is one of the most powerful types of demon. In first edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, nalfeshnees were known as type IV demons. From second edition AD&D, the name "type IV demon" was revised to "nalfeshnee", taking the name of the greatest individual of their rank as the name for the entire breed.
The type IV demon (nalfeshnee) appears in the first edition Monster Manual (1977).
The basic edition of the D&D game included its own version of the type IV demon, which is known as the groaning demon, first appearing in the Immortal Rules set, in the DM's Guide to Immortals (1986). The groaning lesser fiend appeared in the Wrath of the Immortals set, in "Book One: Codex of the Immortals" (1992).
The nalfeshnee true tanar'ri appear in second edition in the Monstrous Compendium Outer Planes Appendix (1991) under the "tanar'ri" heading, and are also detailed under the "tanar'ri" heading in the first Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix (1994).
The nalfeshnee appears under the "demon" heading in the third edition Monster Manual (2000), and in the revised 3.5 edition Monster Manual (2003).
Nalfeshnees are enormous demons that judge new souls arriving on the Abyss. This creature blends the appearance of an ape and a boar, with a pair of small wings on its back.
The original three type IV demons were:
Other known nalfeshnees:
- Jandor: (disguised) living in Sigil's Market Ward. From Faction War, page 24.
- Judge Gabberslug: Uncaged: Faces of Sigil
- Malistroi: Van Richten's Guide to Fiends
- The Marquesse of Loss: Hellbound: The Blood War, The Dark of the War, page 24
- Oulstra: Hellbound: The Blood War, The Dark of the War, page 24
- Taphaeon: Hellbound: The Blood War, the Manual of the Planes (2001), Book of Vile Darkness
- Tuerny the Merciless: Return of the Eight
- Ygrax the Skullbiter: Planes of Chaos p25
- Zerevimeel: "War of the Spider Queen Book VI: Resurrection"
- Zukothoth: FR5 - The Savage Frontier page 54 (according to legend, the hero Beorunna destroyed him by collapsing a cavern on both of them)
- Nalfeshnee: A monster in NetHack
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2008)|
- Gygax, Gary; Blume, Brian (1976), Eldritch Wizardry (1 ed.), Lake Geneva, WI: TSR
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual (TSR, 1977)
- Mentzer, Frank. Dungeons & Dragons Set 5: Immortal Rules (TSR, 1986)
- Allston, Aaron. Wrath of the Immortals (TSR, 1992)
- LaFountain, J. Paul. Monstrous Compendium Outer Planes Appendix. (TSR, 1991)
- Varney, Allen, ed. Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix (TSR, 1994)
- Cook, Monte, Jonathan Tweet, and Skip Williams. Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast, 2000)
- Mentzer, Frank. "Ay pronunseeAY shun gyd" Dragon #93 (TSR, 1985)
- Fiendish Codex I web enhancement: 
- H4 - Throne of Bloodstone (1988)