|Vice President of Nigeria
19 May 2010 – 29 May 2015
|Preceded by||Goodluck Jonathan|
|Succeeded by||Yemi Osinbajo (Elect)|
|Governor of Kaduna|
May 2007 – 19 May 2010
|Preceded by||Ahmed Makarfi|
|Succeeded by||Patrick Ibrahim Yakowa|
August 2, 1954 |
Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria
|Alma mater||Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria|
Mohammed Namadi Sambo (born August 2, 1954) is a Nigerian politician and currently the 4th Vice President of Nigeria. He was sworn in as Vice President on 19 May 2010. An architect by training, Sambo is an alumnus of the Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria.
Early life, education, and early career
Mohammed Namadi Sambo was born on 2 August 1954 in Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria. He attended Baptist Primary School in Kakuri, Kaduna, before attending Kobi Primary School in Bauchi and Towns School No. 1 in Zaria. From 1967 until 1971, he attended Government Secondary School, now Alhuda-Huda College, in Zaria. He attended the School of Basic Studies at the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in 1972, after which he gained admission into the Department of Architecture, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, where he graduated in 1976 with a Bachelor of Science degree with Honours BSc (Hons). He also holds a Masters degree (MSc) in Architecture.
Sambo served with the Oyo State Ministry of Works and Housing for the National Youth Service Corps up to August 1979. In 1988 he was appointed Commissioner for Works, Transport and Housing, Kaduna. In 1990, Namadi Sambo left the service of Kaduna State Government and went back to private practice.
Governor of Kaduna State
In May 2007, Mohammed Namadi Sambo assumed office of the Governor of Kaduna State, Nigeria. His term ended on 18 May 2010. Sambo had an 11-point agenda as Governor of Kaduna State that was to focus on empowering the youth and women of the community and to address security for the state. While still serving as governor, he was picked by the president of Nigeria to become his deputy.
Following the death of President Umaru Yar'Adua, Goodluck Jonathan became the President. Jonathan nominated Sambo as Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and his official correspondence conveying the nomination of Sambo for the VP position was received by the National Assembly on Friday 15 May 2010. On 18 May 2010, the National Assembly approved President Goodluck Jonathan's nomination of former Kaduna State governor, Namadi Sambo, an architect, for the position of Vice President.
- Henry, Umoru (2007-08-27). "ABU alumni task members on school's development *Yar’Adua, 14 Ministers, nine govs expected at AGA". The Vanguard online (Vanguard Media Limited). Archived from the original on 2007-10-13. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- Official Website of Kaduna State Government http://www.kadunastate.gov.ng/governor.html
- http://www.kadunastate.gov.ng/governor.html[dead link]
- Punch Newspaper "NASS confirms Sambo as vice president" http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201005185541038
- Liberty News "National Assembly confirms Sambo as Vice President" http://www.myondostate.com/myondostate/newssend.php?id=203
- 234NEXT "Namadi Sambo sworn in as Vice President"http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5570134-146/namadi_sambo_sworn_in_as_vice.csp
- Arewaonline website
- Index of speeches by Gov. Sambo from the Kaduna State website