||This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)|
|— Town —|
|Elevation||218 m (715 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 - 4286|
|Vehicle registration||TN 28|
Namakkal is a city and a municipality in Namakkal district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is the headquarters of Namakkal district. It is the first ISO 14001-2004 certified municipality in Asia for environmental management, specifically the provision and maintenance of water supply, solid waste and sewage management, town planning, lighting and other social services. It is named as Educational city, Poultry city, and Transport city.
It is a part of Kongu Nadu (Kongu Desam) region of Tamil Nadu which was hotly contested and coveted by both the ancient Pallavas and the Pandyas.Namakkal was in the hands of Atiakula King called Gunasila who has marriage with Pallava King. Later the taluk was overrun by the Cholas in the Kongu Mandalam .After the struggle between the Cheras, Cholas and Pandiyas, the Hoysalas rose to power and had control till the 14th century followed by Vijayanagar Kings till 1565 AD. Then the Madurai Nayakas came to power in 1623 AD. Two of the Polygons of Thirumalai Nayak namely, Ramachandra Nayaka and Gatti Mudaliars ruled the Salem area. The Namakkal Fort is reported to have been built by Ramachandra Nayakas. After about 1625 AD, the area came successively under the rule of Muslim Sultans of Bijapur and Golkonda Mysore kings and then the Marathas, when about the year 1750 AD. Hyder Ali came to power. During this period, it was a history of power struggle between Hyder Ali and later Tippu, with the British. The Rock Fort in Namakkal is a special feature of the Town. The Fort covers an area of one and half acres of flat surface and is accessible from South-West by a flight of narrow steps. Namakkal was held by Killdhar (Caption) on Hyder Ali until it was captured by British in 1768. For a brief period during late 18th and early 19th century Namakkal was under Tiruchirappalli district of British Rule. Later Namakkal was transferred back to Salem District.
The Namakkal City is located with the surrounding Cities as mentioned below (distance in km approximately):
- 360 km southwest of Chennai
- 250 km south of Bangalore
- 150 km east of Coimbatore
- 55 km East of Erode (Turmeric City)
- 48 km North of Karur (Textile city)
- 55 km South of Salem (Mango City)
- 84 km northwest of Tiruchirapalli
- 48 km kolli hills root in kalappanaicken patty.
The landscape of Namakkal is such that it would not be affected by floods.
Namakkal is a historic town with reference back to at least 7th century. The name Namakkal derives from Namagiri, which is the name of the single rock formation at the center of the town.Two cave temples at Namakkal were called as Adiyendra Visnugrha (Ranganatha swamy Temple) and Adiyanavaya Visnugrha (Narasimha swamy Temple).These Rock cut shrines were built by King Gunaseela of Adhiyaman clan descendant.Because of his marriage relations with Pallavas the temples were built of Pallava Architectural style during 7th century. Generally, Namakkal is considered to be a Vaishnava Kshetram, and there is no Shiva temple in the town until a few years ago. The rock is enormous - 65 meters high and more than a kilometre in circumference. Over this massive rock, is a fort. The fort over the rock were built by Ramachandra Nayakar, a small king who ruled Namakkal during 16th century. It is believed that Tippu Sultan hide himself in this fort for some time to escape the British. The fort was not built by Tippu Sultan but he occupied it for a brief period of time.Later the fort was captured by British. The front side of the hill is called Thiru. Vi. Ka. Paarai and used by taxis as their stand.Gandhiji held a public meeting in 1933 in Namakkal under the slope of the Namakkal rock. It is one of the few places in Tamil Nadu, that has not been seriously affected by famine and war.
Truck Body building 
Namakkal is noted for Truck Body Building Activity. Truck Body Building is being carriedout in Namakkal since 1956. Nationwide Namakkal is known for Body Building for Truck, Trailer, Tanker and Rig Unit. Customers from other states also get the truck body building work done in Namakkal. Body builded trucks and rig units are being exported to foreign countries from Namakkal. About 25000 people are employed directly and indirectly in truck body building activity in Namakkal District. About 300 units in Namakkal are engaged in this activity.
Driver Training Institute 
Ashok Leyland's Driver Training Institute in Namakkal (right in the trucking heartland of Tamil Nadu) was the first of its kind and has served as a beacon to lead the way in the training of drivers. Easily accessible from Erode, Salem and Trichy, and spread over 25 acres, the campus includes a driving range with every conceivable road configuration. A spacious building accommodates large classrooms, a library, a model room, a laboratory and a cafeteria with an open-air theatre attached. The roads come with electronic signals, signs, markings and streetlights for night driving – everything, in fact, that drivers will encounter on the highways.
A number of Poultry units are functioning in Namakkal District, hence about 1500 Poultry/Cattle Feed manufacturing units are also in existence. Mostly every poultry unit has put up their own feed manufacturing unit. A few units supply poultry feed to other units also.
Next to Salem District, Tapioca is cultivated in Namakkal District in abundance. Using tapioca as raw material about 350 units are engaged in the production of Starch and Sago in Namakkal District. There is a good market for Sago and Sago products in North India
Lord Anjaneyar Temple 
Namakkal is famous for a life-size Hanuman (Anjaneynar) Statue carved out of a single stone. The city lies at the foot of a huge rock, upon which there is a fort. The name Namakkal immediately brings to mind ‘Namakkal Anjaneyar’ – the temple of Hanuman at Namakkal. The idol of Hanuman is approx. 18 feet in height, and stands under open sky. Opposite to the Hanuman is a temple of Narasimha.
Namagiri Lakshmi Narasimhaswami Temple 
The principal deity worhsipped here is a beautiful carved murti of Lord Vishnu in the form of Sri Narasimha Swami. The beautiful murti and the ancient cave temple are carved out of an imposing hill.There is a separate shrine for Goddess Namagiri Lakshmi.
- Main Bajar Mosque,Namakkal
- Tntj Mosque,Namakkal.
- Jamia Pallivasal,Namakkal.
- Thowheeth mosque,Namakkal.
- Ahle hadees Pallivasal,Namakkal.
Annual car Festival for the Lord Narasimmaswamy temple is celebrated in March and April every year. There are number of sacred bathing places or thirthams in hollows in the sides of the rock and the largest of them is called “Kamalalayam” which is sacred to Lakshmi. Apart from the rock temples there is one Murugan temple at Koolipatti at about 3 K.M. from the town.
Platinum prospects in Namakkal 
India’s Geological Survey has found platinum prospects in Namakkal district. Describing them as good discoveries, the government said the GSI is at the scientific stage where there is an evidence of substantial deposits of platinum which needs to be explored further to understand the exact location and quantities.
The GSI was engaged in the exploratory work for the last three years. As of now, exploration was carried out up to 30 metres. If explored further, scientists of the GSI were of the view that the potential will be even greater, both in quantity and quality.
A memorandum of understanding was signed to facilitate further exploration of mineral development of the state.
The Geological Survey of India and Tamil Nadu Minerals Ltd (Tamin) will jointly explore the commercial viability of mining platinum group of minerals present in the Mettupalayalam and Namakkal areas of the state.
As per the agreement, GSI will also carry out surveys to find the presence of platinum in other parts of the state.
Tourist attractions around Namakkal 
The Kolli Hills are featured in several works of classical Tamil literature such as Silappathigaram, Manimekalai, Purananuru and Ainkurnuru. The region was ruled by Valvil Ori around 200 AD, who is praised as one of the seven great philanthropists of ancient Tamil Nadu. His valor and marksmanship are sung by several poets, and his exploits are a popular part of folklore. Ori is said to have killed a lion, bear, deer and a boar with a single arrow.
The jackfruit grown on these mountains is known for its taste and fragrance and is often soaked in wild honey that is also harvested from these mountains. The mountains are covered by lush green vegetation in the spring and monsoon, and are streaked with streams which add to the natural beauty. There are three reserved forests that are controlled by the Government of Tamil Nadu, namely Ariyur Solai, Kundur Nadu, Pulianjolai It is not correct to regard the name kolli hills as being due to the incidence of deadly diseases such as malaria!It is because early literature records the existence of an image called kollippavai on top of these hills.This image was believed to represent the spirit of a maiden who lured wayfarers by her beauty and then killed them. The mountain is a site of pilgrimage, because of the Arapaleeswarar temple, which is believed to have a secret path to the Shiva temple in Rasipuram. This Shiva temple is said to have been built by Valvil Ori in the 1st or 2nd century when he ruled this area. "Arappaleeswara sathakam" is the poem which praises the Lord Arappaleeswarar. It is believed that this temple exists during the Sangam period itself.
Tourism: Kolli Hills has to be explored in a leisure space. Kolli Hills has been the top choice for nature lovers, hiking enthusiasts, trekking clubs and meditation practitioners among hill stations in Tamil Nadu. In comparison to other hill stations in Tamil Nadu, Kolli Hills is not commercialized, less polluted and offers unique mountain ranges.
Some of the famous spots are:
- Tiruchengode Hill
- Anjaneyar temple.
- Narasimar temple
- Tipu sultan fort.
- Navaladiyan( karupanna samy) temple. Mohanur.
- Periyasamy Temple (Muthugapatti)
- Eshwaran temple(Vallipuram)
- Arungiri Malai(Arunagiri Hills) - Famous Murugan Temple
- Agaya Gangai Waterfalls
- Siddhar caves
- Mini Falls
- Arappaleeswar Temple
- Ettukai Amman Temple KEERAMBUR
- Masi Periyasamy Temple and falls
- Selur View Point
- Boat House
- Botanical Garden
- Seekuparai viewpoint
- Sandana Parai
- German swami's ashram
- Puranikadu Sat Dharma sangam ashram
- Eshwaran Temple, Mavuretty
- Eshwaran Temple(Sendhamangalam)
What to do in Kolli Hills:
- Nature Walk
- Rock Climbing
- Bird watching
- cave exploration
- star gazing
- Camp fire
- Botanical garden
- Watching local folklore/Folk dance with campfire.
some of the famous temples:
- Namakkal Anjaneyar temple
- Namakkal sri lakshmi narashimar temple
- Namakkal sri Renganathar Temple
- Lord murugar temple Belukurichi which is 25 km from namakkal
- Palapattarai Mariyamman Temple near bus stand
- Nainaa malai varutharaja perumall temple kalappanaicken patty.
- Buses ply to cities in Tamil Nadu like Chennai, Coimbatore, Trichy, Madurai, Salem, Erode, Dindigul and Karur.Namakkal is connected to the rest of India through National Highway 7.
- A new broad-gauge railway line from Salem to Karur via Namakkal has started its service.
As of 2001[update] India census, Namakkal district had a population of 1493462. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Namakkal has an average literacy rate of 79%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 84%, and female literacy is 74%. In Namakkal, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Economy and Industries in Namakkal 
- The economy of the district was primarily agricultural, but as on today it has changed its occupation to Lorries, Educational Institutions, Poultry Farms and real estate. So, Poultry, Lorry Transport and related businesses drive the economy of the town.
- Namakkal is famous for its Lorry body building industries and Poultry farms. It is India's 2nd biggest egg producing region (producing 3 crore eggs per day).
- A wide variety of crops are grown within the district. One of the main crop is Tapioca and due to that Namakkal is famous for Sago Factories (particularly Sellappampatty and Attur taluk around the place).
Namakkal has Special Namakkal Edition from all Local Tamil Dailies. Namakkal District Exclusively has 5 local Channels, which are,
- Ponmanam Channel
- Rainbow TV
Online News 24x7
Think-tanks & Social Organisations Public Action Rukmani Arunachalam Aranidhi is a prominent think-tank in the Namakkal district. It is involved in mobilising students for the district development. In January 2011 it organised a mamooth conference on "Namakkal district development: Yesterday, today and tomorrow". The district collector, J.Kumarakurubaran inaugurated it.
Organizations & Foundations 
- Viveka Foundation, 157/2A, N.P.Complex, Main road, Namakkal
- THE ART FOUNDATION, Namakkal
Recent developments 
- AIDS epidemic and control
- A "Permanent Legal Aid Clinic" for Namakkal has been proposed by the Madras High Court Chief Justice to protect the rights of HIV/AIDS patients, especially women.
- Namakkal, the zero-garbage eco-city
- Train/Railway Station for Namakkal
- Nearest Airport for Namakkal is Salem Airport
Namakkal assembly constituency is part of Namakkal (Lok Sabha constituency). Mr.S.Gandhiselvan has been elected as M.P. from the newly formed constituency and is union Minister of state for Health & Family Welfare.
Educational institutes 
Salem Educational Directory 
Salem Educational Directory is a website gives you an overview of the Salem Periyar University’s campuses, Affiliated Colleges, Courses Offered, PRIDE Distance Education and articulates many of the reasons why Periyar University is justly renowned nationally and internationally.
- Sarojini Vidhyalaya Matriculation Higher Secondary school,Mohanur,Namakkal.
- The Meridian International School (CBSE), Tiruchengode, Namakkal.
- Viveka Matriculation School, Ponnammapudur,Sendamangalam - 637409
- Aerokids International Pre-school, E.B Colony, Namakkal.
- Viveka Public School, Sendamangalam - 637409
- Sri Vengateshwaraa Matriculation school,Vennandur:637505.
- Government Boys Higher Secondary school,Vennandur:637505.
- Government Higher Secondary school, Pottirettipatty.
- Vivekananda Matrulaiction Higher Secondary School,Pandamangalam
- Government Higher Secondary school,Palapatti
- National Public School, Namakkal.
- Jayam Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Vallaiyapatti.
- Little Angel Matriculation School, Aniyapuram.
- Government Higher Secondary school,Manickampalayam.
- Spectrum Academy Matriculation School, Namakkal.
- Government Higher Secondary School[ADW], Kalangani.637410
- Govt Higher Sec School, vaiyappamalai- 637410
- Govt Higher Sec School, Elur - 637018
- Sengunthar Mahajana Elementary School, Gurusamipalayam - 637403.
- Sengunthar Mahajana Higher Sec School, Gurusamipalayam - 637403.
- Sengunthar Mahajana Girls Sec School, gurusamipalayam - 637403.
- Sri Vidya Mandir Matric School, Gurusamipalayam.
- Sri Bharathiya Vidya Mandir Matric Higher Secondary School, Gurusamipalayam.
- Govt Higher Sec School, Mallasamudram.
- Thanthai.P.Padmanaban.Govt. Hr. Sec School, Manali Jedar Palyam-
- Sri Vinayaka Matriculation Hr.Sec School, Vaiyappamalai.
- The Navodaya Academy CBSE School, Namakkal.
- Government Higher Secondary School,Pandamangalam
- Government Higher Secondary School,R.Pudupalayam,Rasipuram
- Government Higher Secondary School,Pothanur-638181
- Government Higher Secondary School,Sendhamangalam
- panchayat union middle school,vettambadi.
- Municipal High school -Fort
- Kamaraj Higher Secondary School,Salem road,namakkal
- Government Higher Secondary School,Puduchatram-637018
- Shri Renga Educational Institutions, Rayarpalayam, Tiruchengode - 637 205, Namakkal.
- R.N. Oxford Matriculation Hr. Sec. School,. Pandamangalam
- Sri Vinayaga Higher secondary school, Near collecterate.
- Government Higher Secondary School, Sellappampatty.
- Government Higher Secondary School, Muthugapatty.
- Government Higher Secondary School for Boys, Namakkal (South).
- Government Higher Secondary School for Girls, Namakkal.
- Government Higher Secondary School, Namakkal (North).
- N.S.Arumuga Udayar Government Higher secondary School, AniyapurmPudur, Namakkal DT.
- The Salem co-op sugar mills matriculation school, mohanur, Namakkal DT.
- Government Higher Secondary School, Mohanur
- The Spectrum Academy, Namakkal
- Kongu Matriculation Hr. Sec School, Keerambur
- Kongunadu Matriculation Hr. Sec. School, Velagoundampatti.
- Bharathi Higher Secondary School. Reddipatti, Namakkal - 637001
- Nammalwar middle school, Namakkal
- PGP Group of Institutions, Paramathi, Velur
- Kurinji Matriculation Hr Sec School
- Sri Mahabharathi Higher Secondary School, Koolipatti
- Gandhi Matriculation Hr Sec School, Kandampalayam
- Government Higher Secondary School, Kandampalayam
- Trinity Academy Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Ladhhuvadi
- Kandasamy Kandar Boys Higher Secondary School,Velur, Namakkal
- Kandasamy Kandar Girls Higher Secondary School,Velur, Namakkal
- Kandasamy Kandar Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Namakkal
- Vetha Loga Vidhyalaya, Namakkal
- RASI International School [CBSE], Rasipuram, 637401.
- SRV Higher Secondary School, Rasipuram, Namakkal DT
- Mahendra Matriculation Higher Secondary School (co-educational)
- SPB Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Anna Nehru Matriculation School, Mudalaipatti
- Surabi Matriculation School, Kamblai, Namakkal
- New Bright Nursery & Primary School, Thanneer Pandal, Pothanur
- SunStars Matriculation School, Vadakaraiyathur
- Jack and Jill Matriculation School, Ramapurumpudur, Namakkal
- King Educational Institutions, Nallur, near Namakkal
- Selvam Matriculation & Hr. Sec. School, Namakkal
- Kongu Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Paramathy Velur
- Vetri Vikas Metric Higher Secondary School, Rasipuram.
- Vetri Vikas (Girls) Higher Secondary School, Keeranoor, Malloor.
- Vetri Vikas (Boys) Secondary School, Keeranoor, Malloor.
- Government Higher Secondary School, Kalappanaickenpatty
- Government Higher Secondary School, Konur, Namakkal - 637207.
- Government Higher Secondary School, Paramathi, Namakkal - 637207.
- Vivekananda educational institutions,pandamangalam,namakkal.637208
- Government Higher Secondary School, Pilikkal palayam, Namakkal - 637
- Government Boys Higher Secondary School,Mallasamudram,namakkal-637503
- Government Girls Higher Secondary School,Mallasamudram,namakkal-637503
- Sri Vani Matric Hr. Sec. School, Thoppapatty, Namakkal(DT)
- Dr.M.S.Udayamurthy school of excellence, Paramathi Road, Namakkal.
- vinayak Hr.sec.school,pillanatham,morepalayam,Tiruchengodu-637205
- Green Park Educational Institutions, Postal Nagar, Namakkal-637003
- government high school,kavakkarapatti,namakkal-637013
- Vidhyaa Vikaas High school,varahurampatty,Namakkal-637214
- Government Higher Secondary School, Varagur, Namakkal - 637021
- Government High School, Pavithrampudur, Namakkal - 637021
Colleges and universities 
- The Veterinary College and Research Institute is located in Namakkal and is affiliated with TANUVAS, Chennai. This college has undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral (Veterinary Medicine and Ph.D.) programs in several veterinary and life sciences disciplines.
- Bharath Polytechnic College, Manickampalayam, Tiruchengode.
- K.S.R Institute of Technology,Tiruchengode.
- K.S.R Polytechnic College,Tiruchengode.udayamurthy
- PGP Polytechnic College, Villi Palayam, Namakkal.
- Paavai Polytechnic College, Pachal, Namakkal.
- Excel Polytechnic College, Komarapalyam
- Muthayammal Polytechnic College, Rasipuram.
- The Salem co-op sugar mills polytechnic college, Mohanur
- C.M.S Polytechnic College, Namakkal
- s c s m Polytechnic College, Namakkal
- Sri Vengateshwaraa Polytechnic College, Vennandur: 637505
- CARE INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL, KALANGANI
Arts and Science
- K. S. R. College of Arts and Science,Tiruchengode.
- J.K.K.Nattraja College of Arts & Science, Komarapalayam.
- Sengunthar Arts & Science College, Tiruchengode, Namakkal.
- Govt Arts College, Andagalur Gate, Rasipuram.
- Muthayammal College of arts & science, Rasipuram.
- Arignar.Anna. Govt. Arts College kanavaipatti, Namakkal (previously for men till 1998)
- Kandar's College, velur, Namakkal.
- Mahendra College of Arts and Science, Namakkal.
- N.K.R. Government Arts College for Women, Namakkal.
- P.G.P. College of Arts and Science, Namakkal.
- Selvam Arts and Science College, Namakkal.
- Subramaniyam College of Arts and Science, Mohanur, Namakkal.
- Trinity College for Women, Namakkal.
- Vivekanandha College of Arts and Science (W), Elayampalayam.
- Vivekanandha College for Women, Unjanai.
Catering and Hotel Management
- P.G.P. Arts and Science College, Namakkal.
- Selvam Arts & Science College.
- Nala Hotels
- Hotel Golden Palace.
- KSR Dental College, Tiruchengode.
- J.K.K.Nattraja Dental College & Hospital, Komarapalayam
- Vivekanandha Dental College for Women, Tiruchengode
- J.K.K.Nattraja College of Nursing & Research
- Annai Mathammal Sheela Engineering College, Erumapatti, Namakkal Dt
- K. S. Rangasamy College of Technology, Tiruchengode.
- K.S.R college of Technologyhttp://www.ksrct.ac.in/, Tiruchengode.
- J.K.K.Nattraja College of Engineering & Technology, Komarapalayam
- PGP College of Engineering and Technology.
- CMS College of Engineering, Namakkal
- Vivekanadha Institute of Engineering and Technology for Women, Elyampalayam
- Excel Engineering College, Komarapalayam
- Excel College of Engineering & Technology, Komarapalayam
- Excel College of Engineering for Women, Komarapalayam
- Gnanamani College of Technology, Namakkal Dt
- Kongunadu College of Engineering & Technology, Namakkal-Trichy Road
- King College of Technology, Namakkal
- Paavai College of Engineering, Namakkal
- Paavai Engineering College, Namakkal
- Pavai College of Technology, Namakkal
- Selvam College of Technology, Namakkal
- Vivekanadha College of Engineering for Women, Elyampalayam
- The American College
- Mahendra Engineering College, Vadugapalayam, Thiruchengode-salem main road
- Muthayammal Engineering College, Rasipuram, Namakkal District
- Dr. Hahnemann Homoeopathy Medical College and Research Centre, Namakkal Dt
- K. S. Rangasamy College of Technology, Tiruchengode.
- K.S.R college of engineering, Tiruchengode.
- C.M.S Educational Trust
- J.K.K.Nattraja College of Engineering & Technology, Komarapalayam
- Annai Mathammal Sheela Engineering College, Namakkal
- P.G.P. College of Arts and Science, Namakkal
- P.G.P. College of Engineering and Technology, Namakkal
- Paavai Engineering College, Namakkal
- Vivekanadha College of Engineering for Women, Elyampalayam
- Vivekananda College of Arts and Sciences, Elyampalayam
- The Spectrum Academy, Namakkal
- The Green Park Higher Secondary School,Namakkal
Transport hub 
Namakkal is a major lorry and truck hub right from 1950s. Many conglomerates of trailers, tanker lorries are found in Namakkal.
Namakkal district has emerged as one of the transportation hubs of the TN State. About 40 per cent of the trucks operated in the State are from Namakkal and the district, noted for truck body building, has over 18,000 trucks, including 3,000 tankers and 2,500 trailers, with an annual addition of approximately 500 trucks.
Poultry Hub 
Namakkal, the major poultry producer of southern India, has been witnessing a positive change in the recent years. The district alone accounts for about 75 per cent of the birds produced in the Namakkal zone of the National Egg Coordination Committee. The poultry sector in the zone has grown by 19.53 per cent in the past two years[when?]. The total number of birds has gone up from 307.34 lakh in 2005-06 to 367.35 lakh in 2007-08. The zone produces about 2.5 crore eggs a day, with Namakkal contributing 1.75 crore of the total production. The labour-intensive sector provides direct employment to over one lakh people.
Notable People 
- Venkatarama Ramalingam Pillai
- N. Chandrasekaran,CEO and MD of Tata Consultancy Services, Born and brought up in Mohanur which is near Namakkal
See also 
- Kolli Hills
- Chinna Veppanatham
- Veppanatham Puthur
- Photos from Namakkal Municipality website
- Photo of the ISO certificate
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Namakkal
- "Reliance Energy, NHAI join hands to pave way for highway development". New Delhi: The Financial Express. 2006-01-31. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Action, Public Action (23.10.2012). "A get together at Alampatty". The Hindu. Retrieved 2.1.2010.
- HIV/AIDS Legal Aid Clinic for Namakkal: The Hindu, April 16, 2007
- Zero Garbage Initiative in Namakkal Town: India Best Practices Catalogue 2003, En route to Urban Reforms: Urban Management Centre, Asia
- Namakkal, a zero garbage town: ChennaiOnline News, 23 March 2006
- Namakkal: Dustbin-free town in Tamil Nadu, India: New Delhi TV, 5 June 2006
- Southern Railway Tender Notice of 12 March 2007
- Karur-Salem broad gauge line work to be expedited, The Hindu News, Wednesday, December 27, 2006
- Wiki Map: Namakkal Railway Station, Lathuvadi, Mohanur Road, Namakkal
- "Namakkal police fare well in the eyes of public", The Hindu (Chennai, India), 17 July 2007
- "Salem Airport to be operational from November 15", The Hindu (Chennai, India), 15 October 2009
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies". Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Retrieved October 9, 2008.
- Salem Educational Directory
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Namakkal|
- Bharathi School, Namakkal.
- நாமக்கல் மாவட்ட செய்திகள்
- Namakkal District Webpage (Official website of Namakkal District Government)
- Namakkal City on Google Satellite Maps
- Pilgrimage information for Namakkal
- E-Directory of Namakkal
- King college of technology
- Selvam College Of Technology,Namakkal
- Namakkal collector starts a new trend
- Free Namakkal Classifieds