Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Vipul Amrutlal Shah|
|Produced by||Vipul Amrutlal Shah|
|Screenplay by||Suresh Nair|
|Story by||Suresh Nair|
|Music by||Himesh Reshammiya|
|Edited by||Amitabh Shukla|
|Distributed by||Adlabs Films Ltd
Blockbuster Movie Entertainers
Viacom 18 Motion Pictures
|Release dates||23 March 2007|
|Running time||128 mins|
|Box office||483.7 million (US$7.8 million)|
Namastey London is a 2007 Bollywood film. The romantic comedy film is directed by Vipul Amrutlal Shah and stars Akshay Kumar and Katrina Kaif. It also stars Rishi Kapoor, Upen Patel and Clive Standen in supporting roles. Riteish Deshmukh has a cameo role in the film. The concept of Indians being born in foreign nations and forgetting their Indian roots and instead trying to become like people of that nation is drawn from the Manoj Kumar starrer Purab Aur Paschim. The film is made for an Indian audience in India, with most of the topics being controversial in India, like openly kissing in public and alcohol abuse. This film was a box office hit and also earned a Filmfare Award for Best Actor nomination for Akshay Kumar.
Indian-born Manmohan Malhotra (Rishi Kapoor) re-located to London, England, established himself, returned to India, got married to Bebo (Nina Wadia), and after four years got a visa for her so that she could live with him. Shortly thereafter, she gave birth to Jasmeet (Katrina Kaif). Manmohan was always embarrassed by Bebo as she was fat and could not speak English. As a result, he always left her out of important occasions, while he socialised. Bebo did not want Jasmeet to end up like her, so she got her educated in an English school, encouraged to mingle with British friends, and Jasmeet was transformed into Jazz – a beautiful young woman, modern in looks, talk, habits, and heart.
Her father had set her to meet a young lad, Bobby Bedi (Ritesh Deshmukh), though the date turns out to be a disaster and Bobby rejects her. Manmohan thinks that it is impossible to get him an Indian son-in-law, although his friend, Parvez Khan (Javed Sheikh), is in a similar situation with his son, Imran (Upen Patel), who has a blonde girlfriend, Susan (Tiffany Mulheron). Manmohan takes his family for a tour in India and forces Jasmeet to marry Arjun Singh (Akshay Kumar).
On their return to London, Jasmeet announces that she is getting married to Charlie Brown (Clive Standen), who is well educated and has good friends and connections, even with Prince Charles. She refuses to recognise her marriage with Arjun as there is no proof of the wedding. When Jasmeet is introduced to the friends of the Brown family, she is subjected to considerable racist abuse (snake charmers, Indian rope tricks, tandoori chicken) as well as a quote from Winston Churchill: 'When we leave India, the country will be in the hands of goons'. During this period, Jazz becomes close with Arjun who still supports her. Charlie Brown then has a rugby match against the Indians and Arjun, the English lose and Brown is verbally racist to the Indians. Imran is then asked by Susan's parents to leave Islam, become a Christian, change his name to Emmanuel or Ian, as well as provide written proof that his family is not associated with terrorists. The film ends on a happy note when Imran decides not to be a Christian and Susan is accepted by Imran's family; Jazz realises her love for Arjun, runs away from her wedding to Charlie Brown, and goes with Arjun back to India where they are seen riding Arjun's motorcycle. While they are on the motorcycle Arjun reveals that all along he knew how to speak English.
- Akshay Kumar as Arjun Ballu Singh
- Katrina Kaif as Jasmeet Malhotra (Jazz)
- Rishi Kapoor as Manmohan Malhotra
- Nina Wadia as Bebo Malhotra
- Clive Standen as Charles Brown (Charlie)
- Upen Patel as Imran Khan
- Javed Sheikh as Parvez Khan (Imran's father)
- Tiffany Mulheron as Susan
- Riteish Deshmukh as Bobby Bedi (Guest Appearance)
- Gurpreet Ghuggi as the Taxi driver (Special Appearance)
- Vir Das as Prospective Groom No. 1
- Kunal Kumar as Prospective Groom No. 2
- Manpreet Banga as Prospective Groom No. 3
Akshay Kumar has received almost unanimous praise for his portrayal of Arjun Singh, with a critic saying "Kumar certainly leaves his mark throughout the flick. One of the coolest performances of the star." Adarsh said "One of his finest performances so far, Namastey London also marks the coming of age of an actor who was often dubbed as an action hero or a funster. Akshay not only wins the heart of Katrina on screen, he's sure to win the hearts of millions of moviegoers with a terrific portrayal in this film." On Katrina Kaif's performance he wrote, "she handles the complex part with remarkable ease. The pretty lass is only getting better with every film." Despite the generally favourable reviews, Prachi Singh of Moviewalah panned the film, with a verdict of 2 out of 5 stars.
Namastey London opened to a good response and mainly picked up momentum after the second and third day of its release, a major reason being India's exit out of the 2007 Cricket World Cup. The film did extremely well in the northern parts of India especially in Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh. It also did well in Mumbai and in the first week of its release collected Rs. 73,575,657. The film was received very well in other parts of the country. The success of the film ended a long spell of box office failures since the release of Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love in January 2007. The film went on to become a huge hit & grossed Rs. 483,700,000 making it one of the top hits of 2007.
The film was a huge hit overseas. It debuted at number 9 on the UK charts and similarly debuted within the top 20 in the United States and Australian charts. The film collected £238,841 in the first week of its release As of 27 July 2007 the movie has grossed an estimated $15,273,747 USD in five territories which included the United States ($4,149,772), Australia ($197,148), India ($17,267,662), Malaysia ($15,285), and the United Kingdom ($9,021,900).
The soundtrack was released on 27 January 2007 and received good reviews. This the first time Himesh Reshammiya and Javed Akhtar collaborated.
- Chakna Chakna – Himesh Reshammiya
- Viraaniya – Himesh Reshammiya
- Main Jahaan Rahoon – Rahat Fateh Ali Khan & Krishna Beura & Himesh Reshamiya
- Yahi Hota Pyaar – Himesh Reshammiya, Sunidhi Chauhan
- Rafta Rafta – RDB
- Annan Faanan – Jayesh Gandhi, Akriti Kakkar
- Dilruba – Zubeen Garg, Alisha Chinai
- Viraaniya (Mehfil Mix) – Himesh Reshammiya
- Aanan Faanan (Mehfil Mix) – Jayesh Gandhi, Akriti Kakkar
- Chakna Chakna (Remix) – Himesh Reshammiya
- Dilruba (Remix) – Zubeen Garg, Alisha Chinai
- Main Jahaan Rahoon (Remix) – Rahat Fateh Ali Khan
- Yahi Hota Pyaar (Remix) – Himesh Reshammiya, Sunidhi Chauhan
- Aanan Faanan (Remix) – Jayesh Gandhi, Akriti Kakkar
- Main Jahaan Rahoon (Mehfil Mix) – Rahat Fateh Ali Khan,
- Yahi Hota Pyaar (Mehfil Mix) -Himesh Reshammiya, Sunidhi Chauhan
- Viraaniyan (Remix) – Himesh Reshammiya
- Rafta Rafta (Remix-x) – RDB
- Main Jahan Rahoon (Bonus Track) – Krishna Beura
In March 2011, Shah announced his intention to do a sequel, Namastey London 2. Kumar has expressed his interest in returning for the sequel, which will shoot scenes in London, Punjab, Mumbai, Germany, and Switzerland. The film's plot has not been fully revealed, but will not be a direct continuation of the first film.
- "Review of Namastey London from Indiafm.com". indiafm.com. Retrieved 5 April 2007.
- "Review of Namastey London from bollywood-buzz.com.com". bollywood-buzz.com.com. Archived from the original on 3 July 2007. Retrieved 5 April 2007.
- "Review of Namastey London from moviewalah.com". moviewalah.com. Retrieved 5 April 2007.
- "Box office report for Namastey London". boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 5 April 2007.
- "First week collections for Namastey London". indiafm.com. Retrieved 5 April 2007.
- "Overseas response". indiafm.com. Retrieved 5 April 2007.
- India FM: Music Review – Namastey London
- "Vipul To Do 'Namastey London' Sequel". Times of India (NDTV). 18 March 2011. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Akshay Kumar says 'Namastey London' again!". Zee News. 8 June 2013. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- Sinha, Seema (8 June 2013). "Akshay Kumar gifts Vipul Shah 'Namastey London' sequel". Times of India. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Namastey London.|