|Production||6.6 million tonnes/annum|
|Company||Rio Tinto Iron Ore|
|Website||Rio Tinto Iron Ore website|
The mine is fully owned and operated by Rio Tinto Iron Ore and is one of twelve iron ore mines the company operates in the Pilbara. In the calendar year 2009, the combined Pilbara operations produced 202 million tonnes of iron ore, a 15 percent increase from 2008. The Pilbara operations accounted for almost 13 percent of the world's 2009 iron ore production of 1.59 billion tonnes.
Rio Tinto's iron ore operations in the Pilbara began in 1966. The mine itself began operations in 2006, during a time when Rio Tinto increased the production output of its mines in the Pilbara due to increased demands. The mine has an annual production capacity of 6.6 million tonnes of iron ore, sourced from open-pit operations. The ore is processed on site before being loaded onto rail.
The mine is located near the Brockman mine, also operated by Rio Tinto. Rio Tinto briefly had to close the mine in February 2009, alongside Brockman, because of heavy rain and floods in the region.
The mine is owned by Hamersley Iron Pty Ltd, a fully owned subsidiary of Rio Tinto, which ownes six mines in the Pilbara, including Nammuldi, and partly owns two more mines in the region.
- MINEDEX website: Nammuldi search result accessed: 6 November 2010
- Pilbara Rio Tinto Iron Ore website, accessed: 6 November 2010
- Mining Rio Tinto Iron Ore website, accessed: 6 November 2010
- Preparing for the future Rio Tinto presentation, published: 23 March 2010, accessed: 7 November 2010
- Global iron-ore production falls 6,2% in 2009 – Unctad report miningweekly.com, published: 30 July 2010, accessed: 7 November 2010
- Production of iron ore fell in 2009, but shipments continued to increase, report says UNCTAD website, published: 30 July 2010, accessed: 7 November 2010
- Iron fact sheet – Australian Resources and Deposits Geoscience Australia website, accessed: 7 November 2010
- Iron ore mining outlook miningaustralia.com.au, published: 12 November 2007, accessed: 7 November 2010
- Nammuldi mine Rio Tinto Iron Ore website, accessed: 6 November 2010
- Rail Rio Tinto Iron Ore website, accessed: 6 November 2010
- Rio Tinto resuming Australian iron-ore mining after floods mining-journal.com, published: 25 February 2009, accessed: 7 November 2010
- Western Australian Mineral and Petroleum Statistic Digest 2009 Department of Mines and Petroleum website, accessed: 8 November 2010