|District||Kampala Capital City Authority|
|Elevation||1,180 m (3,870 ft)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Namuwongo is bordered by Lugogo to the north, Nakawa to the northeast, Kiswa and Bugoloobi to the east, Muyenga to the southeast, Kisugu and Kabalagala to the south, Kibuli to the west and Kololo to the northwest. The coordinates of Namuwongo are:00°18′40″N; 32°36′35″E (Latitude:0.3110; Longitude:32.6097).
Namuwongo is a Kampala neighborhood that was predominantly low income in the 1960s through the 1980s. However, as the population of Kampala has exploded in the 1990s and early 2000s, high-end businesses have moved into the area and raised its profile. Namuwongo's proximity to high-end Kololo and Muyenga, as well as middle-class Nakawa and Bugoloobi, has ensured that it will not be mired into the low-end of the neighborhood spectrum. Low land values arguably played a role in attracting big business to the neighborhood, at least in the beginning.
Landmarks in Namuwongo include:
- A sewerage treatment plant of the National Water and Sewerage Corporation
- International Health Sciences University (IHSU) - one of the 30 universities in Uganda - A member of the International Medical Group
- International Hospital Kampala - A 200 bed state-of-the-art tertiary care hospital - A member of the International Medical Group
- The headquarters of Marie Stopes Uganda (MSU) - An NGO focusing on family planning and reproductive health for both men and women of reproductive age.
- Little Lights Children Center
- A branch of Housing Finance Bank
- Mirembe Nursery School
- Fuel depots for Shell Oil and Total Oil
- Little donkey Restaurant ( Jet Ubuntu Internet Cafe )
- Uganda Hands for Hope CBO (at the Junction from Namuwongo Road that goes up to IHK)
Below the railway line in Namuwongo sits a place known as "Soweto" a slum that is divided into 7 Zones; 1. Industrial area View, 2. Go-down, 3. Kasanvu, 4. Namuwongo B, 5.Namuwongo A, 6. Kanyogoga/Masengere, 7. YOKA(Yoweri Kaguta). These zones have over 20,000 people that are living in atmost 2 rooms for a family of at least 4 members.
- Children of Little Lights Children Center
- Children of Mirembe Nursery School perform a play
- Photo of train delivering petrol to storage tanks in Namuwongo
- International Hospital Kampala
- International Health Sciences University
- International Medical Group
- National Water and Sewerage Corporation
- Dr. Ian Clarke