Nan Chiau Primary School
|Nan Chiau Primary School
南侨小学(lNán Qiáo Xiǎo Xué)
Sekolah Rendah Nan Chiau
|50 Anchorvale Link
Sengkang, Singapore 545080, Singapore
|School type||Government Primary school|
|Vice principal||Mr Wong Kin Mun
Mr Loh Bin Jonathon
|Age range||7 to 12|
|Classes||Primary 1 to 6|
|Average class size||30|
Nan Chiau Primary School (Chinese: 南侨小学) is a primary school located in the north-eastern part of Singapore, in Sengkang New Town. The school was built in 1947, 2 years after the aftermath of World War II.
Nan Chiau Primary School is a government-aided school under the Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan (SHHK). Nan Chiau Primary School and Nan Chiau High School were originally one school but were separated after the move to Sengkang New Town from Kim Yam Road in River Valley, where it was first located.
Founded in 1947 as Nan Chiau Girl's School, the school was established to provide basic education for children of immigrants from China. Due to an increase in the population of students, the school was rebuilt at Kim Yam Road in 1969. When the school became co-educational in 1984, it was renamed to Nan Chiau High School. In 2001, the school moved to Sengkang New Town and began operating as two separate schools.
Under MOE's Programme for Rebuilding and IMproving Existing Schools (PRIME), Nan Chiau Primary School underwent upgrades of the existing school facilities which included the construction of a new indoor sports hall. The upgrading works lasted from December 2010 to February 2013.
- 1947: Nan Chiau Girls' High School was founded
- 1969: The school was rebuilt to meet the increasing student population. The opening of the building (at the Kim Yam Road site) was officiated by Mr Ong Pang Boon, the Minister of Education, on 8 March 1969.
- 1979: The school began functioning as a full school, with the Primary Section and the Secondary Section sharing the same premises.
- 1980: The school adopted English as its main medium of instruction.
- 1984: The school became co-educational and was renamed Nan Chiau High School.
- 1997: The school celebrated its 50th Anniversary.
- 2001: Nan Chiau High School and Nan Chiau Primary School operated as two schools, when they moved to Anchorvale in Sengkang New Town.
- The other four primary and one secondary school under the Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan are:
- "Nan Chiau Primary School". Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- "Ministry of Education, Singapore: Press Releases - MOE to Build New Primary Schools and Upgrade Existing Ones for Move to Single Session". Ministry Of Education, Singapore. September 25, 2009. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
|This Singapore location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|