|Member of the
New Jersey General Assembly
from the 21st Legislative District
May 21, 2009
Serving with Jon Bramnick
|Preceded by||Eric Munoz|
|Born||September 8, 1954|
|Residence||Summit, New Jersey|
Munoz's husband, New Jersey General Assemblyman Eric Munoz, died at the age of 61 from complications from a ruptured aortic aneurysm on March 30, 2009. In April 2009, Nancy Munoz received the backing of the Union County Republican Party in her efforts to take over her late husband's seat in the legislature. Long Hill Township Mayor George Vitureira and Long Hill School Board member Bruce Meringolo also sought the seat; Vitureira was backed by Morris County GOP chairman John Sette.
The Republican Party held a special convention to determine who would take over the seat in Mountainside on April 27; Munoz won with 174 votes, while Meringolo received 34 votes and Vitureira received 16. She was sworn into the legislature on May 21; she was assigned to serve on the Health and Senior Services Committee and the Human Services Committee, taking committee seats previously held by her husband. Munoz took her first steps towards being elected in her own right on June 2, 2009, when she defeated Meringolo and Vitureira in the Republican primary; she now must win in the general election.
Munoz is a resident of Summit, New Jersey. She holds a B.S. and a M.S. (both in nursing) from Skidmore College and Hunter College, respectively. She has worked as a nurse in Massachusetts General Hospital, the Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and Overlook Hospital (in her hometown of Summit), and has worked as a risk care manager for Continental Insurance Health Care. She has five children with her late husband.
Each of the forty districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 21st District for the 2008-2009 Legislative Session are:
Municipalities in the district are Berkeley Heights Township, Chatham Township, Cranford Township, Garwood Borough, Harding Township, Long Hill Township, Madison Borough, Millburn Township, Mountainside Borough, New Providence Borough, Roselle Park Borough, Springfield Township, Summit City, Warren Township, Watchung Borough, Westfield Town.
- "Assemblyman Munoz dies". PolitickerNJ. 2009-03-30. Retrieved 2009-05-21.
- "Nancy Munoz to run with Bramnick in LD 21". PolitickerNJ. 2009-04-05. Retrieved 2009-05-21.
- "For LD 21 challengers, Long Hill addresses, Morris disparity, and Munoz pose challenges". PolitickerNJ. 2009-04-09. Retrieved 2009-05-21.
- "Nancy Munoz wins seat vacated by husband's death in 21st District special convention". PolitickerNJ. 2009-04-27. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- "Nancy Munoz sworn into office". PolitickerNJ. 2009-05-21. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- Keill, Liz. "Nancy Munoz", Independent Press, April 6, 2009. Accessed February 18, 2011. "With the death of her husband Eric Munoz, Summit resident Nancy Munoz said she was asked if she would be willing to consider filing for his Assembly seat."
- Districts by Number: District 21, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed May 21, 2009.
|New Jersey General Assembly|
|New Jersey State Assemblywoman - District 21
May 2009 - Present