|Awarded for||Excellence in cinematic achievements for Telugu Cinema|
|Sponsor||Government of Andhra Pradesh|
|Location||Telugu Lalita Kaḷā Tōraṇaṃ (తెలుగు లలిత కళా తోరణం), Hyderabad, India|
|Presented by||Film, Television and Theatre Development Corporation of Andhra Pradesh|
The Nandi Awards is the highest award ceremony for excellence in Telugu cinema, Telugu Theater, Telugu Television, and Life time achievements in Indian cinema, presented annually by Government of Andhra Pradesh. "Nandi" means "bull", the awards being named after the big granite bull at Lepakshi — a cultural and historical symbol of Andhra Pradesh. Nandi Awards are presented in four categories: Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Copper. A variant, Nandi Natakotsavam Awards for Theater is also given every year by the Andhra Pradesh government for social, mythological and poetic Dramas.
Annually, a state panel appointed by the government selects the winning entry, and the award ceremony is held in Hyderabad, where in the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh gives away the awards. A list of rules is presented every year in a document of regulations. The criteria for eligibility contains many clauses. Among them, there is a direct requirement for the makers of a film, and particularly films entering the competition should be produced in Andhra Pradesh, and in case of co-production involving a foreign entity, there are as many conditions which should be fulfilled in order for the film to qualify.
According to the criteria, in order to be eligible for consideration of the jury, a film should be certified by the Central Board of Film Certification between January 1 and December 31. The Government do not have influence over which films are selected for consideration and which films ultimately win awards. However, There are strict criteria which are being scrutinized by the government as to whether a film is eligible for consideration by the jury panels.
Government of Andhra Pradesh commissioned the Andhra Pradesh Nandi Film Awards to recognize and commend the best films produced in Telugu language in Andhra Pradesh from 1964 onwards. The objective of the film awards is to encourage the production of films in Telugu language with high technical excellence and aesthetic values bearing cultural, educational, and social relevance and also promoting the integration and unity of the nation. Awards are given annually and are presented in a public event on the Telugu new year. The Government of Andhra Pradesh transferred the activity relating to conferring Nandi Awards to the Andhra Pradesh State Film Television and Theatre Development Corporation. Since 1998, the awards are being organized by the them.
The Awards are given in the categories of feature films, feature films on national integration, children’s films, documentary films, educational films, and books/articles on Telugu cinema in Telugu language for the best films, producers, directors, artistes, and technicians. The awards are usually in the form of Golden Nandi, Silver Nandi, Bronze Nandi, and Copper Nandi in addition to medals, cash prize and commendation certificates.
- Best Feature Film - Gold, Silver and Bronze
- Sarojini Devi Award for a Film on National Integration
- Best Children's Film
- Best Documentary Film
- Best Popular Feature Film
- Raghupati Venkaiah Award - Life Time Achievement for contribution to Telugu Cinema.
- Best Documentary Film
- Best Educational Film
- Akkineni Award for Best Home-viewing Feature Film
- Best Director
- Best Actor
- Best Actress
Life Time Achievement for contribution to Indian Cinema
B. N. Reddy National Award
- 2008 : K. B. Tilak (director and producer)
- 2009 : K.Raghavendra Rao (film director)
- 2011 : Shyam Benegal (film director)
Nagi Reddy Chakrapani National Award
- 2011 : G. Adiseshagiri Rao - (film producer)
Most Awards & Records
- "Government announces Nandi Awards committee members". Ragalahari.com. 2007-12-23. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- October 13, 2012 11:45 pm (2010-10-08). "Nandi Natakotsavam Awards". India Scanner. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "2011 Nandi Awards winners list - The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : ETV, SVBC, DD sweep Nandi awards". The Hindu. 2010-11-11. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Front Page : Nandi awards for 2005 announced". The Hindu. 2006-11-12. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Nandi Awards Committee appointed by AP government - Telugu Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2009-07-24. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : Nandi Natakotsavam from June 19". The Hindu. 2004-06-17. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- తెలుగుసినిమా చరిత్ర: ANDHRA PRADESH STATE NANDI FILM AWARDS (1964-1974)
- "The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : Balaiah to head Nandi Awards panel". Hinduonnet.com. 2005-09-02. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Raghupathi Venkaiah, Nagi Reddy, Chakrapani, B.N. Reddy and NTR National Awards announced…News,Telugu movie news, latest news, political news, Updated Movie News:Raghupathi Venkaiah, Nagi Reddy, Chakrapani, B.N. Reddy and NTR National Awards announced…". Myfirstshow.com. Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- "Nandi Award for Ravi Teja, Swati". The Hindu. 17 March 2010. Retrieved 22 March 2010.
- Prakash KL (2010-12-07). "B Saroja .in". Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- Eenadu daily, Eeenadu Cinema, Page 10, Nandi life time achievement awards, retrieved, March 24, 2013.