|NASA Landsat visible color image|
|• Total||3 km2 (1 sq mi)|
|• Density||200/km2 (510/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||TV-NMG|
Louis Becke, who later became a writer, became the resident trader for the Liverpool firm of John S. de Wolf and Co. on Nanumanga from about April 1880 until the trading-station was destroyed later that year in a cyclone. Becke later wrote The Rangers of the Tia Kau that describes a shark attack at the Tia Kau reef between Nanumea and Nanumanga.
There are three lagoons, the largest, Vaiatoa, having four islands. There are mangrove woods and dry vegetation. The island has an oval outline, with the longer axis oriented north-south. A fringing reef surrounds the whole island, which makes local fishing and transport into and out of the island difficult.
At the 2002 census the population of the atoll was 589.
There are a few paths.
Nanumanga is one of the eight constituencies in Tuvalu, and elects two Members of Parliament. Following the 2010 general election, its current representatives are Monise Lafai and Falesa Pitoi. Pitoi was a successfully re-elected incumbent, while Lafai defeated incumbent Otinielu Tausi. Following an assessment of Dr Pitoi’s health in December 2013 the Governor-General declared a vacancy for the constituency of Nanumaga, which will be filled in a by-election.
2010 election results
|Nanumaga constituency results |
- Map of Nanumaga (Nanumanga). Tuvaluislands.com.
- British Admiralty Nautical Chart 766 Ellice Islands. United Kingdom Hydrographic Office (UKHO). Publication Date: 21/03/1872 (Ed. 1893).
- Keith S. Chambers & Doug Munro, The Mystery of Gran Cocal: European Discovery and Mis-Discovery in Tuvalu, 89(2) (1980) The Journal of the Polynesian Society, 167–198
- 'Louis Beck, Adventurer and Writer', Chapter 8, Rascals in Paradise, James A. Michener and Arthur Grove Day, Secker and Warburg (1957)
- Richard Bedford, Barrie Macdonald & Doug Monro, Population Estimates for Kiribati and Tuvalu (1980) 89(1) J. of the Polynesian Society 199
- W.F. Newton, The Early Population of the Ellice Islands, 76(2) (1967) The Journal of the Polynesian Society, 197–204.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "Tuvalu to hold by-election in Nanumaga". Radio New Zealand International. 11 December 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- Cannon, Brian (2010-09-16). "Tuvalu Election Results". Tuvalu News (Tuvaluislands.com). Retrieved 2010-09-17.