||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (May 2014)|
|Key people||Dr. Devi Shetty, Chairman
Dr. A Raghuvanshi, Vice Chairman, MD & Group CEO
Narayana Health formerly known as Narayana Hrudyalaya, is a multi-specialty hospital chain in India, headquartered in Bengaluru. The hospital chain has 6200 beds spread across 27 hospitals in 17 cities (as of November 2014).
The company won the "Good Company" award for its quality, affordability and scale. The business model of Narayana Health became a Global Healthcare and Harvard Business School case study.  The hospital chain is among the largest telemedicine networks in the world.
Vision and values
Narayana Health was founded in 2000 by Dr. Devi Shetty under the aegis of the Asian Heart Foundation (AHF). Since then it has expanded its presence to 23 hospitals in 14 Indian cities.
- Rotary Narayana Multispeciality Hospital in Kolkata
- Malla Reddy Narayana Multi-speciality Hospital in Hyderabad
- Heart centre at RL Jalappa Hospital, Kolar
- Multi-speciality Hospital at Jaipur
- Modern Medical Institute (MMI) Narayana Multispeciality Hospital at Raipur
- Narayana Institute of Cardiac Sciences, Bangalore received prestigious JCI accreditation
- NABH accreditation for 2 Units of Narayana Health - Mazumdar Shaw Medical Center, Bangalore and Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences, Kolkata
- NH Jaipur received JCI accreditation
- Multi-speciality Hospital at Ahmedabad
- Signed an agreement with Ascension Health Alliance to set up a Health City in Cayman Islands
- Superspeciality hospital at Shimoga
- Multi-specialty hospital at Mysore
- Multi-specialty hospital at Durgapur
- Heart Centre at Davangere
- 2013 & Ahead
- NH Hyderabad received NABH accreditation
- Superspeciality hospital at Guwahati
- Superspeciality hospital at Whitefield Bangalore
- Multispecialty hospital at HSR Layout Bangalore
- Heart Centre at Bangalore, Kuppam, Chittradurga, Howrah & Bijapur
- Another 5 New Hospitals in 5 new locations in the pipeline - Mumbai, Siliguri, Tumkur, Bhubaneshwar & Lucknow
- Two international units are in the pipeline - Malaysia & Cayman Islands
In 2013, Narayana Hrudayalaya Pvt. Ltd. changed its brand name to Narayana Health.
Narayana Health is a chain of multispeciality hospitals located in Bangalore, Kolkata, Jamshedpur, Guwahati, Durgapur, Raipur, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Mysore, Dharwad, Kolar, Shimoga, Davangere and Kuppam. This multispeciality chain is expanding its presence nationally with projects in Lucknow, Mumbai, Siliguri, Bhubaneswar and internationally at Cayman Islands, Kualalumpur and Malaysia. At Cayman Islands Narayana Health is establishing a Healthcity in association with Ascension Health Alliance The group comprises 1300 full-time Doctors and 12,500 employees spread across all these locations.
The first health city was set up in the outskirts of Bangalore (now Bengaluru).
Spread over 25 acres (100,000 m2), it is located in the Bommasandra Industrial Area on Hosur Road in Bengaluru. NH Health City consists of a 1000 bedded cardiac care hospital and a 1400-bed multi-speciality hospital, which has one of Asia's most advanced Cancer Care facility and India's largest Bone Marrow Transplant Unit. Narayana Health in association with Mrs. Kiran Mazumdar Shaw of Biocon has a cancer hospital.
There are an average of 150 surgeries every day and an average of around 80,000 outpatients are seen every month. It caters to the super speciality tertiary care services of the Indian populace.
Narayana Health performs almost 42 heart surgeries and 24 open heart surgeries and 35 catheterization procedures daily and more than 95000 cardiac surgeries have been done since existence. The paediatric cardiac program at NH is among the world’s largest programs. In addition the group does over 2500 interventional cardiology procedures every month. A total of 15,000 coronary bypass grafting operations have been performed in the Bengaluru hospital alone.
The Bangalore cardiac unit of Narayana Health (previously Narayana Hrudayalaya now Narayana Institute of Cardiac Sciences) is one of the world's largest heart hospitals. The hospital also receives patients from outside India, and it has created a record of performing nearly 15,000 surgeries on patients from 25 foreign countries.
The Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) Unit is situated at Mazumdar Shaw Cancer Center, Bangalore. It is a 14-bedded facility and it focuses on treatment of thalassemia. The unit can conduct 14 transplants at any given time and is the largest of its kind in the country.
The telemedicine service was started in the hospital in the year 2002 to cater mainly to the rural populace in the country. The telemedicine network of the hospital connects to countries like Malaysia, Mauritius and Pakistan; with most of the cases referred through telemedicine being cardiac ones. ECG reports, Audio/Visual data, CT scans, X-rays, MRIs and their analysis are exchanged via the telephone line, broadband connection or satellite. Narayana Health is also a part of "The Karnataka Telemedine Project" which was inaugurated on April 8, 2002 and links two rural hospitals in Saragur, Karnataka viz. the Chamarajnagar District Hospital and the Vivekananda Memorial Hospital with the Narayana Hrudayalaya.
Awards and accolades
- NICS, Bangalore Ranked Best Private Cardiac Hospital in India - "The Week Nielsen Best Hospital Survey, 2013"
- Good Company Award, Philanthropy Awards 2013, Forbes India
- "Financial Times Arcelor Mittal Boldness in Business Awards": Corporate Responsibility/environment category
- Porter Prize for Industry Architectural Shift Inc. Innovative 100 award, 2013
- Scored 36th rank amongst "World`s 50 most innovative companies" by Fast Companies.
- Frost & Sullivan India Healthcare Excellence Awards: Healthcare Service Provider Company of the Year (Revenue between INR 500-1000 Cr)
- FICCI Healthcare Excellence Award for addressing Industry Issues
- Finalist in Namma Bengaluru Awards 2012 for CSR category
- India Shining Star CSR Award for the exceptional CSR work in health sector
- Best Hospital by CNBC & ICICI Lombard
Group Hospitals & Heart Centres
- Ahmedabad, Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Bangalore, Narayana Institute of Cardiac Sciences
- Bangalore, Mazumdar Shaw Medical Center
- Bangalore, Whitefield, Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Bangalore, HSR Layout, Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Bangalore, Chinmaya Narayana Superspeciality Centre
- Bangalore, MS Ramaiah Narayana Heart Centre
- Bangalore, St. Martha's Heart Centre
- Bangalore, Suguna Narayana Heart Centre
- Davangere, SS Narayana Heart Centre
- Dharwad, SDM Narayana Heart Centre
- Hyderabad, Malla Reddy Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Jaipur, Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Jamshedpur, Brahmanand Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Kolar, RL Jalappa Narayana Heart Centre
- Kolkata, Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences
- Kolkata, Rotary Narayana Eye Hospital
- Kolkata, Rotary Narayana Multispecialty Hospital
- Kolkata, Westbank Narayana Heart Centre
- Kuppam, PES Narayana Heart Centre
- Mysore, Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Raipur, MMI Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Shimoga, Sahyadri Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- "Pulse On The Future". Online webpage of Businessworld. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Philanthropy Awards 2013". Online webpage of Forbes India. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- "Quality, affordability and scale in healthcare: learning from Narayana". Online webpage of The Health Foundation Inspiring Improvement. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- Tarun Khanna, V. Kasturi Rangan (22 June 2005). "Narayana Hrudyalaya". Hbswk.hbs.edu HBS Premier Case Collection. Retrieved 2005-06-22.
- Nayantara Som. "A Whole New World". Online Webpage of the Express Healthcare Management. Indian Express Newspapers (Mumbai) Limited. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "Health Market Innovations". Health Market Innovations Report. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Low Cost Hospitals". ET. Retrieved 2013-05-24.
- "About Us". Online Webpage of the Narayana Health. Retrieved 2014-01-13.
- "Bengaluru-based Narayana Hrudayalaya Private Limited is a health city in the pink city Jaipur". Online webpage of Healthcare Financial Express. Retrieved 2010-01-01.
- "Health City Cayman Islands building Opportunities". Radio Caymans. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- "NH started construction of new hospital at Bhubaneshwar". Business Standard Bhubaneshwar press coverage. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- "Heart Centre launched at Jodhpur Medical College and Hospital (JMCH)". IBN Live media coverage. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- "Corporate Information by Narayana Health". Corporate Information Presentation. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "NH to build a Health City in Cayman Island Express Healthcare". Online webpage of Express Healthcare. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- "Major hospital project set to open in Cayman next year". Online webpage of Caribjournal. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- "Devi P. Shetty, Narayana Hrudayalaya Institute of Medical Sciences". Online Webpage of the Schwab Foundation. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "Narayana Health, Bengaluru". Online Webpage of Narayana Health. Archived from the original on 2007-06-03. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "Mazumdar-Shaw Cancer Centre at Narayana Health City opens largest bone marrow transplant unit". Online webpage of Pharmabiz News. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Cardiac Surgery". Online webpage of Cardiac Sciences at Narayana Health. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- Walter Nandalike. "Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty - An Interview". Online webpage of Daijiworld.com. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- Martha Lagace. "Entrepreneurial Hospital Pioneers New Model". Online webpage of Harvard Business school. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- Devi Shetty. "Narayana Health (previously Narayana Hrudayalaya)". Online webpage of Electronics and Information technology Exposition.
- G. Ananthakrishnan (2006-04-30). "Boom time for medicare". Online Edition of The Hindu, dated 2006-04-30 (Chennai, India: The Hindu). Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "Neurosciences at NH". Online Webpage of Neurosciences speciality at Narayana Health. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "Oncology at Narayana Health". Online webpage for Oncology at Narayana Health. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "New facility opened at Mazumdar-Shaw Cancer Centre at Narayana Health City". Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "The Week Nielsen Survey". Online webpage of The Week, Issue dated Nov 24,2013. Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- "Financial Times Arcelor Mittal Award". Financial Times & Arcelor Mittal recognise business innovators of 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Porter Prize for Industry Architectural Shift,2013". Porter Prize, 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- "Most Innovative Companies 2012". FastCompany. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Frost & Sullivan honours Indian healthcare sector at its 4th Annual India Excellence Awards 2012". Pharmabiz News. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- "FICCI Healthcare Excellence Awards 2012". Pharmabiz News, 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- "Namma Bengaluru Awards 2012". Bangalore citizen Matters articles. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "India Shining Star CSR Awards 2011". List of winners, Linkedin Source. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "ICICI Lombard CNBC TV18 Healthcare Awards". Business Standard press coverage. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Men behind success of NH low cost hospitals". ET. Retrieved 2013-05-24.
- "Locations". Online Webpage of the Narayana Health Locations. Retrieved 2014-01-15.