|Nickname(s): Town of Silk Sarees|
|• MLA||S Rajender Reddy ( TDP )|
|• MP||AP Jithender Reddy ( TRS )|
|• Chairperson||Gandhe Anusuya ( BJP )|
|Elevation||431 m (1,414 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Telugu, Urdu, Kannada|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Avg. annual temperature||35.0 °C (95.0 °F)|
|Avg. summer temperature||42.0 °C (107.6 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||25.0 °C (77.0 °F)|
Narayanpet is a town, mandal, revenue division, and a municipality with a council of 23 ward members, in Mahbubnagar district of Telangana, India. The town specializes in handloomed sari manufacturing and Gold ornaments. Narayanpet is an Assembly constituency.
According to The Imperial Gazetteer of India, Narayanpet was a taluk in Mahbubnagar district, Hyderabad State. It had a population of 68,164 compared with 59,967 in 1891 covering an area of 345 square miles. It contained on town Narayanpet and 78 villages. In 1905, the taluk was broken and the villages were transferred to Makhtal taluq and Yadgir taluk in Gulbarga district, recently YADGIRI become a District in Karnataka. Narayanpet town had a population of 12,011 in 1901. It was noted for the manufacture of superior silk and cotton Saris and slippers of colored leather. It has a Munsif's court, a Post office, a dispensary, a boys' and girls' school and the Police Inspector's office.
As of 2001[update] India census, Narayanpet had a population of 37,529. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Narayanpet has an average literacy rate of 58%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 67%, and female literacy is 49%. In Narayanpet, 13% of the population is under 6 years of age. Telugu,Urdu,Kannada and Marathi are primary languages for communication.
Much of the development is halted because of the factors such as the location of town, which is nearer to the state of Karnataka and low availability of water. Primary source of income for people is by saree weaving. Bullion Merchant association is one of the most prominent sectors in the Chamber of Commerce in Narayanpet. Making pure gold jewellery has been one of the main occupations of the town for last two centuries. Narayanpet gold is regarded as the purest serving within the locality and visitors from various places around the vicinity of town tend to purchase ornaments.
Because of scarcity of water and lack of transportation, there is no major industry except sarees and jewellery. Young generation is leaving the town in search of better opportunities in cities like Hyderabad, Bombay. Thousands of people have migrated to Pune, Mumbai, Bhiwandi, Solapur in Maharashtra.
There are many schools in Narayanpet, including Govt.Practicing high school,DVMHS, Market Line, Saraswati Shishu Mandir, Vaidika Pathashala, Girls High School, Adarsha High School, Sri Sai Public School, Little Stars High School, Modern High School, MB High School,and DVM Public School.
There are Degree colleges Surya Laxmi Arts & Science Degree college, Spoorthy Degree college, Junior colleges, Engineering Colleges, B.ed colleges, and a Paramedical College.
- Nearest railway station is "Narayanpet Road (NRPD)"(renamed Saidapur) on Mumbai to Chennai, Bengaluru route (30 km)
- Devarkadra is another station on Hyderabad to Guntakal route (40 km)
New Railway Line Proposal Recently, South Central Railway has conducted a survey for the proposed railway line. However this proposal which has been floating from past 55 years for the execution.
Proposed Railway line is going to connect Vikarabad and Krishna through Narayanpet. (approx. 160 km line)
- Nearest International Airport (150 km) is Rajiv Gandhi International Airport,Shamshabad, Hyderabad
- Narayanpet in The Imperial Gazetteer of India, vol. 18, pp. 374-5.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Narayanpet Road to be renamed as Saidapur
- http://epaper.sakshi.com/apnews/Details.aspx?id=1093695&boxid=28063532[dead link]
- http://epaper.sakshi.com/apnews/Mahabub_Nagar/01122011/Details.aspx?id=1112668&boxid=28064894[dead link]
- http://epaper.sakshi.com/apnews/Mahabub_Nagar/06122011/Details.aspx?id=1119147&boxid=26294424[dead link]
- Live!!! Narayanpet News
- Read eEnadu online e-paper for news from Narayanpet
- Latest News from Narayanpet - Sakshi ePapar
- Sri Sri Sri Sadguru Avadhuth Narasimha Swami's Web site
- Sri Sri Sri Sadguru Avadhuth Narasimha Swami's Web site 2
- Current Temperature/Weather Forecast - Narayanpet
- Telangana Movement - Good Compilation of articles
- నారాయణపేట అసెంబ్లీ నియోజక వర్గం
- Narayanpet New Railway Station Compiled News
- Hindu Daily Article on Narayanpet