Naremburn, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
St Leonards Catholic Church, Naremburn
|• Density||3,201/km2 (8,291/sq mi)|
|Area||1.71 km2 (0.7 sq mi)|
|Location||6 km (4 mi) north of Sydney CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Willoughby|
|Federal Division(s)||North Sydney|
Naremburn is a suburb on the lower North Shore of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Naremburn is located 6 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the City of Willoughby.
The suburb name dates to the 1800s but its origin cannot be verified. Naremburn was originally known as Central Township. It was also known as Dogtown or Struggletown. The earliest land grants in the area were granted to Humphrey Evans and Peter Dargan in 1794.
Naremburn Post Office opened on 20 March 1882 and closed in 1986.
Commercial area and transport
Naremburn has a small shopping strip on Willoughby Road about ten minutes' walk from Crows Nest.
- St Leonards Catholic Church, built in 1913
- St Cuthberts Anglican Church (Naremburn Cammeray Anglican Church)
Former primary schools
Until the 1990s, there were two primary schools operating — St Leonard’s Catholic Primary School, and, Naremburn Public School — both on Willoughby Road. The Catholic school shared the same site as the adjacent Catholic church, and, the public school was located opposite on Willoughby Road. Changing demographics and corresponding lack of demand led to both schools being closed within five years of each other. The former Catholic school is now a creative arts learning centre. The former public school is now a housing development. Join Naremburn Public School Alumni if you were a student https://www.facebook.com/groups/178251862375179/
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Naremburn (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollon, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8, page 183
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- Naremburn/St Leonards - community profile
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Naremburn, New South Wales.|