Fakhri walks for Ritu Kumar at LFW 2013
20 October 1979 |
Queens, New York, USA
Nargis Fakhri (born 20 October 1979) is an American model and actress who works mainly in Hindi films or Bollywood. She has appeared on America's Next Top Model and made her acting debut with the 2011 film Rockstar. She gained further success for her roles in Madras Cafe (2013) and Main Tera Hero (2014).
In 2011, Fakhri made her Bollywood film debut playing the female lead in Imtiaz Ali's musical romantic drama Rockstar. Film critic Taran Adarsh wrote, "Nargis is a stunner as far as looks are concerned, but isn't persuasive in poignant moments", however, he praised her on-screen chemistry with co-star Ranbir Kapoor. 
She starred opposite John Abraham in Shoojit Sircar's political thriller Madras Cafe (2013). Film critic Saibal Chatterjee said Fakhri "strikes the right notes", whereas Rajeev Masand called her "pleasantly competent". Later that year, she made a special appearance in the action comedy Phata Poster Nikhla Hero to perform the item number "Dhating Naach" with the film's lead actor Shahid Kapoor. Taran Adarsh commented saying Fakhri "sizzles in the dance number, matching steps with Shahid".
Fakhri was next seen alongside Varun Dhawan and Ileana D'Cruz in David Dhawan's comedy Main Tera Hero (2014). The film was moderate success at the box office, though received mixed reviews from critics. For her performance in the film, Rohit Khilnani said that Fakhri "is not bad" and that "she fits well in this masala comedy and doesn't disappoint". Taran Adarsh however disagreed, and said though she "looks great", she needs to "polish her acting skills".
Fakhri made her second film appearance of the year in Sajid Nadiawala's action thriller film, Kick. Appearing in the item number "Yaar Na Miley", Times Of India stated "dancing along with Salman Khan is the sizzling Nargis Fakhri who makes the proceedings hotter with her dance moves".
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2013||Madras Cafe||Jaya Sahni|
|2013||Phata Poster Nikhla Hero||Unknown||Special appearance in song "Dhating Naach"|
|2014||Main Tera Hero||Ayesha|
|2014||Kick||Herself||Special appearance in song "Yaar Na Miley"|
Awards and nominations
- Upadhyay, Karishma (7 August 2012). "Pakistani actress Nargis Fakhri". The Telegraph. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Nargis Fakhri Rocks at 34". NDTV. 20 October 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- ""Rock Star" To Decide Career Nargis Fakhri". ukbbcnews.com. 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- "Nargis Fakhri | Pakistani actresses in Bollywood". Hindustan Times. 2011-11-07. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- The Film Street Journal - Where's Nargis Fakhri?(Article)
- "Nargis Fakhri - | Photos | | India Today |". India Today. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Rockstar". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Saibal Chatterjee (22 August 2013). "Madras Cafe movie review". NDTV Movies. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- Rajeev Masand. "'Madras Cafe' review: The film meshes fact and fiction competently". IBN Live. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- Taran Adarsh (20 September 2013). "Phata Poster Nikhla Hero". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- Masand, Rajeev. "'Main Tera Hero' review: The film is a series of forced contrivances". IBN Live. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Rohit Khilnani (4 April 2014). "Movie review: Main Tera Hero can be a decent DVD watch". India Today. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- Taran Adarsh (4 April 2014). "Main Tera Hero". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- TNN (14 July 2014). "'Devil' song from 'Kick': Nargis Fakhri's hot item number". Times Of India. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Nominations of Stardust Awards 2012". Bollywoodhungama.com. 6 February 2012. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nargis Fakhri.|