Narasapuram, West Godavari
Sunrise at Valandhar revu near Narsapur
|Talukas||Narsapur, West Godavari|
|Elevation||2 m (7 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Narasapuram is a Town, Municipality,Mandal and revenue division in West Godavari District in Andhra Pradesh, India. It is the one of the major towns on the bank of the Vasista Godavari river. It was also headquarters for Narasapuram Assembly Constituency of Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly and Narasapuram Lok Sabha Constituency of the Indian Parliament. Recently State government proposed to develop a minor port and fishing harbor.
It was also known as "Nrusimhapuri" and "Abhinava Bhootapuri". Narasapuram was the general usage form of "Narasimhaa Puram", which indicates Lord Lakshmi Narasimha, a Hindu God. Famous temple town Antarvedi is very near to this town and this town named after the Lord of Antarvedi that is Narasimha Swamy.
All the way from Nasik to Narasapuram the Godavari River it ends and finally empties into Bay of Bengal called Anthervedi (Bangala Khaatham).
As of 2011[update] India census, Narsapur had a population of 58, 770. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. Narasapuram has an average literacy rate of 75%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 78%, and female literacy is 71%. In Narsapur, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The existence of Narsapur dates back to 1173A.D..Dutch people landed in narsapur in 1626.Narsapur used as a port by the Dutch and ships and boats were built here.This place is famous for settlement of the Dutch and French and British took them from the French in 1759A.D..It was noted for it's ship building activity and some of the Europeans also were customers at this place.
In 16th century,Portuguese were established their own factory which remained as a trading centre for few years.In 18th century,Narsapur became an important trading port.From this port,the forest produce like teak was exported to other regions.The ports at Kakinada and Narsapuram became famous for manufacturing ships.At present no port handling at Narsapur.
Madhavayapalem,which is celebrated as one of the earliest places where the English establised a factory and was famous for its trade in cloth.The trade of town has steadily declined since the abolition of the company's factory in1827. .Before getting freedom British civilians make imports and exports from Narsapur. They build offices for work. In the days steamers come to Valandhar Revu, from that time the road is called Steamer Road.
Shivalayam at Lakshmaneswaram in Narsaour mandal for Lord Shiva is said to built by Lakshmana,Brother of Rama.while they were passing this way to Lanka in search of Seetha.Here sivarathri celebrations are done at large scale.
- Sri Adikesava Emberumanar Swamy Temple
It was a famous temple in Narsapur.It isone of the famous sri vaishnava temples in India.Around three centuries ago,sri Puppala Ramanappa Naidu,a translator working for the British East India Company.The temple has same architecture as temple in Bhootapuri in TamilNadu.So it named as "Abhinava Bhootapuri".
- Lutheran Church
The corner stone was set up in the year of 1923 by Fr. Heyer and Fr. Barger. The Christ Lutheran Church started functioning in the year 1929 and so it older than the other prominent churches lying in the synod.
Christ Lutheran Church is regarded as a milestone in the city. It is a nice structure of the brick. It was constructed in the style of gothic architecture along with a brick exterior. Its bell tower goes to an amazing altitude and accommodates a bell, which yields a very good tone. Its bell was made in Watervliet lying in New York by the Meneely Bell Foundry and was known to have been one of the best bells of the church ever sold from this foundry. This church also consists of a magnificent stained glass for altar.
Christ Lutheran Church is a huge congregation lying in the Andhra Evangelical Lutheran Church and is also a member church belonging to West Godavari synod. This church is a principal A class parish and also mother church to many tinier and younger congregations around and in Naraspur lying in West Godavari.
- Taylor High School
In 1820 in Narsapur Tahasil,a high school wasestablised which was closed down subsequently.Itlooks by 1852 a central school was established by the local leaders in consultation with the subcollector Mr.G.N.Taylor.Subsequently the school was named sfter him as Taylor High School.
Nestling on the banks of the picturesque Vasista Godavari, Taylor High School is one of the major landmarks in this town showcasing the Dutch and the British buildings of monumental value.The ‘manyam veerudu’ (jungle hero) Alluri Sitarama Raju had his schooling in this institution before he led the Rampa rebellion against the British.His father belong to Mogallu.Alluri Seeta Ramaraju grew up in the care of his uncle Ramachandra Raju ,a tahasildar in Narsapur,then moved to Tuni. Chilakamarti Lakshmi Narasimham, a freedom fighter and a noted Telugu litterateur, is yet another cap in its feathers.The school is credited with producing a large number of high court judges, eminent lawyers and civil servants. It was only the educational institution offering high school education in those days for students from surrounding areas such as Palacole, Veeravasaram and even Bhimavaram.
Narasapuram municipality was formed as a third grade municipality in the year 26 September 1956. Now it is Grade-I municipality. It has an area of about 11.32 km2. About 45.06 km roads were constructed in the entire Narasapuram town. Out of which, 23.197 km cement roads were laid. All the important roads are electrified in Narsapur town. In Narsapur town, there is 11 lakh gallons of drinking water consumption everyday. About 350 taps were constructed for the public availability. About 272 have been working in Narsapur municipality.
- Sub Collector Office
- Sub Jail
- R.D.O Office
- M.R.O Office
- M.P.P Office
- Bio Gas Power Generation Plant(In Construction) in Narsapur is the first plant in Municipalities.
- Grade1 Library
- Govt Hospital
- Marine Police Station
Narsapur municipality region includes Madhavayapalem,Gandhi Nagar-1, Gandhi Nagar-2, Sanivarapu Peta, Roy pet, Panja Centre, Old Bazar, Rustumbada, NTR Colony, YS Nagar,ChinaMamidipalli
Narasapuram is famous for crochet lace products. The cluster has around 50 exporters who export to major world markets in USA, Europe and Japan. The cluster has around 2 lakh women artisans doing the lace work. The cluster is located in and around Narsapur. The cluster specialises in lace work and products like doilies, furnishings, garments and tablemats, The foreign exchange generated by this sector is not less than 40 crores (US$ 9 Million) per annum,The Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH) said it would set up an infrastructure project at Narsapur in Andhra Pradesh, to be known as International Lace Trade Centre (ILTC) to facilitate development and marketing of lace products.
Pan Godavari Lace Facilities is established under aegis of Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), Ministry of Textiles Government of India under Comprehensive Handicrafts Cluster Development Scheme (CHCDS). The Ministry of Textiles has launched the Comprehensive Handicrafts Cluster Development Scheme (CHCDS) to scale up the infrastructure and production chain of handicrafts clusters. The objective is to provide a fresh impetus to these long traditional heritage and cultural crafts.
Godavari Delta Women Lace Artisans society is situated in Narasapuram, famous for lace making for more than 100 years. Most of the rural and semi urban women who belong to the poor communities make their livelihood by this profession.
Narsapuram is well known for Traditional Jewllery market.There are many famous marts as Jain Jewellers,Jeevaji Gold,Rajendra Jewellers and many more marts.
Predominantly Hindu, the town also has a large Christian population. The town was a major center for Lutheran missionary activity in the 18th century.
Godavari Pushkaram is celebrated every 12 years in Narasapuram. Many people from the town and nearby villages plus people all the way from abroad and including foreigners take a holy dip in the Vasista River (also called the Vasista Godavari) during Godavari Pushkarams. It is a memorable event. SCR runs special trains to Narsapur from various locations during Godavari Pushkaram.
- Sri Adikesava Embermannar Swamy Temple is among the places of faith and worship located in Narsapuram.It was built in the year 1786.
- Durga Laxmaneshwara Swamy temple in Laxmaneswaram.
- Perupalem Beach is situated 20 kilometers from Narasapur town, located in the WestGodavari area of the Andhra Pradesh state. The shore is extremely popular for its picturesque delightfulness and the coastline that offers a pleasing view to the people visiting it.
- It's popular with the tourists for the many holiday attractions such as the temple of Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy at Antarvedi located 3 km from the town.
- Sagarasangamam (AnnaChellella Gattu) where vasista river meets Bay of Bengal.
- Antervedi Light House(Previously known as Narsapur Light House).
- Sri Bapu Platform at River road in Narsapur
- Boat ferry
- BalaYogi Park
Narsapur is the Terminal(end) station in west godavari district. The town is well connected to Hyderabad (Narsapur Express,introduced in the year 1979), Vishakapatnam (Simhadri link Express), Tirupati (Tirupati Express), Nagarsol (Express), Vijayawada (one Passenger),Visakhapatnam (one passenger), Rajamundry(two Passengers), Guntur(two Passengers), Nidadavolu (Passenger), Gudivada (Passenger) and Bhimavaram (Passenger) daily. New lines proposed by the state include Narsapur to Bapatla via Machilipatnam and Repalle and Narsapur to Kotipalli (E.G.Dt), the project of constructing bridges from Kakinada to Narsapur on three rivers is not yet completed. From Kotipalli to Narsapur around Rs.1,500 crore has been sanctioned for construction of three bridges. It is the terminal station in the Vijayawada – Bhimavaram – Narsapuram sections of Vijayawada railway division. The depot at Narsapuram undertakes primary maintenance and repairs of 08 express and 09 passenger trains.
APSRTC, the state owned public transport system operated its services to major cities and towns and even to smaller villages from Narsapur. There is a Bus depot at Narsapuram serving to nearby destinations. National Highway 214A starting at Narsapuram and terminating at NH 5 near Ongole which reduces the travel time on the coastal corridor between Kolkata – Chennai route.
Narasapur Port (proposed to be developed as minor Port), Fishing harbour and ONGC Jetty.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation of India (ONGC)
- Central Industrial Security Force (CISF)
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI)
- PanGodavari (Handicrafts)
- Comprehensive Handicrafts Cluster Development Scheme (CHCDS)
- AWS (Automatic Weather Station) installed and commissioned by IMD
Professional Educational Institutions
- Institute of Fine arts and Crafts. (Sanctioned in Budget 2014)
- Swarnandhra College of Engineering and Technology(Autonomous). 
- Swarnandhra Engineering College.
- Swarnandhra Institute of Engineering and Technology.
- Sri Yerramilli Narayanamurthy College Sri Y N College(Autonomous)
- Surya Junior College
- Gowthami Junior College
- Sri Rama Krishna Degree College
- BGBS Women's College
- Aditya Junior College
- Y N Diamond Jubilee Junior College
- Surya Degree College
- Gowthami Degree College
- Fliaz Adventist College
- Harshavardhan vocational institution 
- Andhra Blind Model Integrated High School
- A.P Gurukula Patasala
- S.N.S Municipal High School(Lenin High School)
- Taylor High School
- Mission High School
- Govt.High School (Girls)
- Kasturiba Gandhi Aided High School
- Swarnandhra International School
- Sunshine School
- Bhashyam Public School
- Sri Vasista High School
- J Sikile School
- Ravindra Bharathi School
- Sree Gayathri Public School
- Aditya Public School
- Narayana Public School
- Sri Chaitanya School
- Flaiz Memorial Higher Secondary School
- Srija Kids Care
Narsapur Lok Sabha Constituency
Narasapuram Lok Sabha constituency presently comprises the following Legislative Assembly segments.
- Achanta(Constituency No)175
- Palakol 176
- Narsapur 177
- Bhimavaram 178
- Undi 179
- Tanuku 180
- Tadepalligudem 181
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Pan Godavari Crochet Lace Manufacturers Exporters in Narsapur Hyderabad India". Pangodavari.com. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "Godavari Delta Women Lace Artisans Co-operative Cottage Industries Ltd., Narasapur". Gdwlace.com. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "NS/Narasapur (2) Railway Station - Today's Train Departure Timings - India Rail Info - A Busy Junction for Travellers & Rail Enthusiasts". India Rail Info. 2010-04-26. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "South Central Railway". Scr.indianrailways.gov.in. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- Swarnandhra College of Engineering and Technology (SCET)