|Traded as||JSE: NPN|
|Industry||Ecommerce, Internet, Media|
|Founded||12 May 1915|
|Headquarters||Cape Town, South Africa|
|Bob van Dijk (CEO)|
|Revenue||R62.7 Billion (FY 2014)|
|R8.6 Billion (FY 2014)|
Naspers is a South African multinational mass media corporation headquartered in Cape Town with principal operations in internet services; pay television (direct-to-home satellite services, digital terrestrial television services and online services) and print media. With a market capitalisation of over $42 billion it is one of the largest companies in South Africa and one of the largest listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
Brands and subsidiaries
Major brands owned by Naspers include:
- Internet media: OLX, Flipkart, Allegro, Ricardo, Buscapé, PayU, Ibibo, Movile, SimilarWeb,
- TV media: MultiChoice, SuperSport, DStv, MNet,
- Internet providers: MWEB
- Print media: Media24, Grupo Abril
It also holds large investments in media and technology companies in China and Russia. Most notably Naspers is the biggest single shareholder in Chinese internet giant Tencent and one of the largest share holders of the Russian website Mail.Ru.
Naspers was founded in 1915, by Afrikaans name Nasionale Pers (National Press) as publisher & printer of news papers and magazines. It was founded by J.B.M. Hertzog who also founded the National Party, the previous year in 1914. Naspers first published the Afrikaans language daily Die Burger in 1914 which was followed by its first magazine Die Huisgenoot in 1916.
In 1918 the company added book publishing to their portfolio which made it one of the most significant media hubs in Africa at the time. In 1985 the company launched the pay-TV system M-Net for the first time in the region which brought about great reputation for the company & has grown into one of the largest media house's in the world. Nasionale Pers officially changed its name to the currently used 'Naspers' in 1998.
Since 1994, the company is listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) in South Africa and has designated to be part of the Top 10 index over the past number of years. They also have a Level I American Depository Receipt programme (ADR programme) listing on the London Stock Exchange (LSE) and trade on an over-the-counter (OTC) basis. International investors account for around 50% of their shareholder base.
- John McDuling (9 January 2014). "The former mouthpiece of apartheid is now one of the world’s most successful tech investors". Quartz. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Naspers website: Our history". Company history. Naspers. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Apartheid Inc, the story of Naspers, Media24 and Channel Life". Media Alternatives. 15 November 2011. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Apartheid Inc. – Profile of a racist corporation, June 9, 2010". History Matters. 22 January 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2015.